Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Friday 6/14- TGIF! The Vibes Debut on the Road

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Dominican Summer League Scoreboard (includes DSL Brewers/Indians game)

Links for affiliate audio

Standings and sortable stat pages

MiLB.TV options: San Antonio and Carolina home feeds, Biloxi, Wisconsin, and yes, Rocky Mountain, road.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Links for affiliate audio

Have great seasons Garrett in Biloxi, Greg in Carolina, and Chris in Appleton! And welcome to Mike Haeger in San Antonio!

Welcome to Mitchell Vareldzis (home and road) and Rob Namnoum (home) in Colorado Springs. The Vibes' radio link has been added to the post we kick off each Link Report with.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

June 10th --

First Rocky Mountain Vibes roster features youth, international signees and 2 touted prospects

Brent Briggeman, Colorado Springs Gazette

The first glimpse at the first Rookie League roster in Colorado Springs shows a little high-end talent, a flood of international imports and a whole lot of youth.

And that’s before this year’s draft class is added to the mix.

The Rocky Mountain Vibes announced much of their expected opening day roster on Monday, showing off the first roster for the city’s minor league team since it changed its name from the Sky Sox and dropped to the Rookie League level from Triple-A. The list included only 21 names and figures to be flushed out with a few more players – perhaps some from last week’s draft – before the team opens on the road at Orem (Utah) on Friday.

The roster features two players as young as 18 and five older than 21. There are players from Australia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, the United States mainland and Hawaii. There are college pitchers from Arizona and Iowa, four players drafted in the top five rounds in recent years and nine players who have seen some action in this league before when the team was based in Helena, Mont., before moving to Colorado Springs. The graybeard of the team is 24-year-old Steve Pastora, who was recently signed out of an Independent League.

There’s a 6-foot-6, 225-pound first baseman (Ernesto Martinez) and a 150-pound middle infielder (Luis Avila). There’s a pitcher who has missed the past two years following Tommy John surgery (Nash Walters) and there are three players who have yet to make their debut for an affiliated minor league team.

The average age of the 21 players is 20.5. More than half are still awaiting their 21st birthday.

The two initial headliners are outfielders Micah Bello and Joe Gray Jr. who were taken high in the top 75 picks of the 2018 draft.

Gray, who turned 19 in March, is ranked as the No. 9 prospect in Milwaukee’s system by Baseball America. He was picked in the second round and given a $1.1 million signing bonus to forgo a scholarship to play at Mississippi. Baseball America rates his power, arm and speed near the top of their scouting scale.

Bello, 18, was plucked out of a high school on the Big Island in Hawaii and given a $550,000 bonus. Baseball America likes his ability to hit line drives as well as his speed and arm.

The Vibes make their home debut on June 21 vs. Grand Junction at UCHealth Park.

Vibes initial June 10th roster

LHP Jose Alberro

LHP Blake Lillis

RHP Carlos Luna

RHP Steve Pastora

RHP Joel Pinto

RHP Cam Robinson

RHP Austin Rubick

RHP Brady Schanuel

RHP Cristian Sierra

RHP Michele Vassalotti

RHP Nash Walters

C Luis Avalo

C Jose Sibrian

SS Luis Avila

3B Nick Egnatuk

1B Ernesto Martinez Jr.

2B Edwin Sano

1B Bryan Torres

3B Jess Williams

OF Micah Bello

OF Joe Gray Jr.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rocky Mountain Vibes' Dominican Republic players react to David Ortiz shooting

George Stoia, Colorado Springs Gazette

For the three Dominican Republic players on the Rocky Mountain Vibes the shooting of David Ortiz on Sunday was devastating, but didn’t come as a surprise.

Ortiz was shot and wounded in his native country while at a bar Sunday evening. The former Red Sox star had to have emergency surgery and was flown to Boston on Monday. Ortiz is in stable condition and on Tuesday took his first steps since the incident, according to a statement from his wife, Tiffany.

In the Dominican Republic, Ortiz is more than a famous former baseball player. He’s an inspiration and icon for many young Dominican players, including Vibes second baseman Edwin Sano, catcher Luis Avalo and right-handed pitcher Cristian Sierra.

“He’s a great player and a great person. I look up to him and I know a lot of other players do, too,” Sano said Wednesday at the Vibes’ media day. “I’m just praying for him. People can hate you for any reason. I wonder why that person did that because (Ortiz) represents our country so well.

“I feel safe because I know that isn’t going to happen here, but it could happen (in the Dominican Republic).”

Ortiz is arguably one of the most famous baseball players to come out of the Dominican Republic, along with Pedro Martinez, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols and others. Due to the success of players like Ortiz, the country has become a hotbed for talented MLB prospects such as Sano, Avalo and Sierra.

For all three, the news that one of their idols had been shot in their country was not only heartbreaking but also disconcerting.

“I'm embarrassed that it happened,” Avalo said through a translator. “You can’t go out and enjoy a night with your family. You have to be careful. It’s just not right for the country to be that way.”

Vibes manager Nestor Corredor coached in the Dominican Republic for four years and has seen the impact Ortiz has on young players. He understands the impact a situation like this one can have on an entire country.

“In my personal opinion, it’s not good that that would happen in that country," Corredor said. "David Ortiz is obviously a famous role model. Everybody from the Dominican Republic wants to be David Ortiz. Hopefully he’s getting better and recovering. I think we’d all like to see the Big Papi more often.”

Ortiz's shooting has been one of the biggest stories surrounding the MLB this week, with players from all over the world sharing their thoughts on the legend. In the Dominican Republic, police have six suspects in custody as the country demands action be taken.

For now, all Sano, Avalo and Sierra can do is pray and wonder about the future of their country.

“I don't know what’s going to happen because I don't understand how someone could be allowed to do that," Sierra said through a translator. "If someone has a great, successful career and that happens to him in our home country, what’s that mean for us?”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rookie League team exudes same vibes as its Triple-A predecessors in Colorado Springs

Oxygen was difficult to find for Steve Pastora as he rode in an Uber from his hotel to the Milwaukee Brewers spring training facility in Phoenix in May.

After playing for four colleges and making two stops in independent leagues, the 24-year-old right-handed pitcher knew this was his big shot.

“I couldn’t even breathe,” he said. “There were just so many emotions knowing I was going to have a chance to go throw and be able to fulfill my dream — playing affiliated baseball.”

Pastora impressed enough to sign a contract on Mother’s Day. On Wednesday, he was introduced at UCHealth Park as part of the initial Rocky Mountain Vibes roster.

For Pastora and the other 28 players who will start this season as Colorado Springs begins its first go-round at the Rookie League level, the stakes are high. Some will play their first season in the United States after debuting in international leagues. Others were drafted a week ago and have yet to test themselves against professional competition. And others tasted this level last year but are back to either prove they are ready to advance or face a quiet exit from the game.

“I’m excited to get going,” said catcher Nick Kahle, who was drafted in the fourth round out of the University of Washington on June 4 and left for Colorado Springs on June 5.

In that respect, and many others, there was little difference between the feel of this welcome event and the many that preceded it when the city was home to a Triple-A team. The players are on average a few years younger, but in their baseball uniforms Wednesday they looked no different than the Triple-A players of the past. Even the facial hair was on point.

The desire to prove worthy at this level and advance to the next, that remains.

The on-field product doesn’t figure to be noticeably different either, at least not for the untrained eye. But manager Nestor Corredor said he will place an emphasis on effort.

“We’re going to play every game like it’s the last game of our lives,” said Corredor, who managed the team in Helena, Mont., for the past three seasons. It relocated this year to Colorado Springs as part of a reshuffle within the Elmore Sports Group that saw the Triple-A team that had played here since 1988 move to San Antonio and the Double-A team that had been in San Antonio move to a new facility in Amarillo, Texas. “We’re going to provide you with the best show and the best entertainment possible.

“We are here to provide entertainment. Our job as coaches and players is to provide you with the best show possible.”

Of course, there will be differences, too. The length of the season — about half as long with 38 home games — chief among them.

The rest, from the long bus rides (Triple-A teams fly, Rookie League teams do not) and the life adjustments for players just out of high school, college or foreign countries, some having joined the organization just a week ago, will take place out of view.

For many, if not all, of these players, they’re ready to take the good and bad to start their climb.

“At the end of the day, there’s nothing else I’d rather be doing,” Pastora said.

“I’ll take an eight-hour bus ride over sitting at an office desk.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Language barrier can be bigger issue for Rookie League teams like Rocky Mountain Vibes than other levels

Three years of managing at the Rookie League level has taught Nestor Corredor how to budget his time.

A 15-minute team meeting? Better allow for 30 minutes.

“It’s 15 minutes in English, 15 minutes in Spanish,” said Corredor, the manager in the inaugural season for the Rocky Mountain Vibes.

Professional baseball clubhouses are home to multiple languages at every level, but in the Rookie League the barriers can be more pronounced because they are new. Signees from Latin America who have previously played only in the Dominican Summer League are embarking on their first season within the United States, and many American players drafted from college or high school are thrust into a multicultural situation for the first time.

It helps that Corredor, a native of Venezuela, speaks English and Spanish; and he says it has been his experience that Spanish-speaking players quickly make strides.

“The good thing about the Latino group is most of them understand English,” Corredor said. “They may not speak it very well, but they understand the language. So, that makes my job easy just to get them used to the English, but I don’t think that will be a problem with the players. They prepare and they are willing to learn.

“It can be a little bit difficult.”

On the field, players quickly develop hand signals to communicate. Infielders point to each other between pitches to confirm where they plan to go with the ball in different situations. Much of the team has been together for about 40 games in spring training.

For those players just added to the fold from last week’s draft there will be many long bus rides, starting with an 8-hour jaunt Thursday from Colorado Springs to Orem, Utah, for Friday’s opener for teammates to play catch-up and develop workarounds to the language differences.

“We can communicate,” said catcher Nick Kahle, a recent draft pick from the University of Washington who said he had only English-speaking teammates with the Huskies. “We know some of the basics.”

Bilingual players like pitcher Steve Pastora become integral in interpreting in social situations.

“It’s nice just to be able to speak different languages because I can hang out with different people,” Pastora said. “And it’s just fulfilling to be able to help out people who don’t really speak the language.

“At the end of the day, there’s baseball, which is the common theme and it’s how we come together. There’s just a baseball language.”

If that’s not enough, there’s always the fake-it-‘till-you-make-it approach. “You see them laughing,” pitcher Paxton Schultz said, “you just kind of laugh along even though you may not know exactly what’s going on.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Coincidence leaves Rocky Mountain Vibes pitcher Paxton Schultz making pro debut in hometown

Of all the ballparks in all the towns in all the world, Paxton Schultz is walking back into this one.

The Rocky Mountain Vibes pitcher was born and raised in Orem, Utah. He stayed home to play at Utah Valley University. And now, a week after being drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers, Schultz will make his pro debut right back in Orem.

“My family was kind of sad with me leaving and stuff,” Schultz said. “But I was like, ‘I’ll be back in a week, don’t worry about it.’”

The Vibes — the new Rookie League team based in Colorado Springs that replaced the Triple-A Sky Sox — open their inaugural season Friday at Orem. The Owlz share a field with Utah Valley, so Schultz will not only be back in his hometown but on his home field.

His journey took him from undrafted high school player to standout college player to pro, and he didn’t have to leave the city limits to do it.

“How everything worked out is kind of weird,” Schultz said. “There will be a lot of people there for me. That’s pretty exciting.”

Schultz went 1-7 with a 4.08 ERA, but the Brewers saw something within that to pick him in the 14th round last week. He struck out a career-high 11 with no walks against South Carolina in a start this past season, he struck out nine against Western Athletic Conference champion New Mexico State and took a no-hitter into the sixth inning against WAC Tournament champion Sacramento State. He struck out 99 batters in 99 1/3 innings, setting a school record.

The right-hander sits 91-93 mph with a fastball that will touch 95. He also throws a curveball, slider and change-up to form an arsenal diverse enough that he could remain as a starter through his climb in the Brewers’ system.

“I know I can compete at this level for sure,” he said. “I’m going to carry that attitude into the season.”

And he won’t have to carry it far, as that season begins right in his backyard.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hawaii's Micah Bello looks to have breakout season

George Stoia, Colorado Springs Gazette

Micah Bello is still getting used to long bus rides.

The Hilo, Hawaii, native just takes a sleeping pill before the 12-hour or sometimes longer bus rides. Growing up on the “Big Island,” he says the longest bus ride he experienced in high school was just over an hour. Now playing rookie ball for the Rocky Mountain Vibes, Bello is adjusting to the life of a minor league baseball player.

“It’s definitely been different,” Bello said Wednesday at Vibes’ media day in Colorado Springs. “But it hasn’t been too bad so far. I’m getting used to it.”

Bello, 18, is ranked as the 21st-best prospect in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. The outfielder was drafted 73rd overall in the 2018 MLB draft and is expected to be one of the Vibes’ best and most valuable players in their inaugural season. Last year, in the Arizona League, he played in 39 games batting .240 and stealing 10 bases.

As a Hawaiian-born professional baseball player, the expectations of making it to the big leagues is just another obstacle in what’s been an already challenging journey for Bello. But for him, he’s already faced the toughest hurdle of his career: getting off the island.

“Hawaii has a lot of good ballplayers,” Bello said. “But it’s hard for us to get exposed because we’re so far away. … But once we get here, we show we can play.”

Since he was a kid, Bello trained with Kaha Wong, who is known as the best and one of the only hitting instructors in Hawaii. In the offseason, Bello trains with Wong’s sons, Kean and Kolten. Kean plays Triple-A for the Tampa Bay Rays, while Kolten starts at second base for the St. Louis Cardinals and has for the last seven years.

Neither were as highly touted as Bello out of high school.

“I remember the first day Micah showed up to my dad’s hitting cage when he was a kid,” Kean said. “I said, ‘Damn, this kid is going to be special.’ You always knew he had that type of talent to be where he is today.”

At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, Bello is known for his speed and ability to make things happen once on base. He says only played 14 games a year in Hawaii for his high school, forcing him to play football and run track to stay active. He often played in showcases put on by Wong to help him get exposed by scouts.

That’s what earned him a scholarship to play baseball at St. Mary’s — an offer he turned down once he was drafted by the Brewers and signed for $550,000. Bello says he has no regrets turning down St. Mary’s, despite seeing limited action in his first season, saying playing for the Vibes is “an opportunity of a lifetime.”

Today, many Hawaiian players don’t get that same opportunity. But because of those before them, more and more Hawaiian players, like Bello, are slowly finding their way to the major leagues.

“It started with Shane Victorino, then Kurt Suzuki, and now my brother. It’s kind of like a stepping ladder,” Kean said. “Those guys open the door for you. All you have to do is follow the footsteps. Without them, who knows what baseball would be like in Hawaii.”

Expectations are high for Bello this year, after showing just a glimpse of what he’s capable last season. In 154 at-bats, he had 37 hits, scored 25 runs and hit 15 RBIs. In the field, he recorded just two errors.

If he can bring a little more power to the plate, he may not be playing rookie ball for the Vibes much longer.

“Micah is a special young talent. I can tell you from last year until now, is that he’s grown big time in his tools. His tools at the plate I think are potentially really high,” Vibes manager Nestor Corredor said. “Our expectation is that he needs to be one of the main guys. If he swings the bat like I think he can, there’s going to be a lot of news about Micah Bello during the season.

“This is going to be a year where he will show what kind of player he can be.”

Bello’s sights are obviously set on making on the majors one day. It’s been a dream of his since he was a kid and he’s well on his way, Kean said.

But for now, he just wants to win and have fun doing it.

“Of course my goal is to get to the majors,” Bello said. “But first, I want to have a great season here and win a championship for this team.”

And as for Hawaii, they’re already proud of Bello. No matter how his career turns out.

“Just to see the man he has become and the player he has become,” Kean said. “Me, Kolten and the rest of Hawaii are proud of him.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Carolina Pre-Game Media Notes

Box: Winston-Salem 6, Carolina 2

Top four in the order 0-for-16 with four K's...

Carolina Falls 6-2 as Winston-Salem's Walker Hits for Cycle in Zebulon

Eddie Silva went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two runs in the loss for the Mudcats

No Will Smith in Milwaukee, but Phil Bickford is at least on a mound. Not a David Stearns' shining moment.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Pre-Game Media Notes

Box: Wisconsin 3, Quad Cities 2

20-year-old RHP Victor Castaneda in nine Timber Rattler relief stints: 13.2 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 20 K - yeah, that'll work.

Timber Rattlers Homer Their Way Past Quad Cities

Wisconsin has three hits, but two are homers in a 3-2 win over River Bandits

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

San Antonio Pre-Game Media Notes

Box: San Antonio 6, Tacoma 1

Don't lose starter Thomas Jankins' effort among the bats...

Missions Use Balanced Offensive Attack to Clinch Series Over Rainiers

Winning again with power hitting

Homers carry Missions past Rainiers, 6-1

By Jerry Briggs / San Antonio Missions

Love the fact that Jerry utilized the word "prodigy" for Keston Hiura. Perfect.

Joe Alexander's Felix Hernandez photo gallery - what a run he had. Photos capture his current state.

VIDEO via KENS TV: Highlight package includes Keston Hiura's latest bomb mission (see what I did there, San Antonio fans)

(Thomas Jankins gets the headline at the link, but no love within. Sigh...)

Also the camera cuts away, but you do see Tyler Saladino's straightaway moonshot as well.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Orem 3, Rocky Mountain 0

Guys, the altitude is supposed to inflate your numbers...

Kudos to RF Micah Bello and 1B Ernesto Martinez for drawing three walks apiece in their first pro games away from the Maryvale complex and in front of actual paying fans for this road contest.

But, one hit. Prior 2019 Timber Rattler Antonio Pinero doubled in the 3rd.

We may reach out to the Voice of the Vibes Mitchell Vareldzis (that has some cool alliteration considering his last name as well) to see if he's going to be posting game summaries (hopefully).

For now, this is posted by KOAA in Colorado Springs. I have a suspicion it is indeed Mitchell's write-up that just hasn't made it to the Vibes' home page yet.

OREM, Utah – The Rocky Mountain Vibes played their first game in team history Friday night, falling to the Orem Owlz on the road, 3-0. The Owlz scored all three RBI on two homers off of Vibes starting pitcher Michele Vassalotti.

The Vibes opened the game with two walks within the first inning, but after two scoreless innings, it was the Owlz who struck first. In the bottom of the third inning, Jeremiah Jackson drew a walk for Orem to put one on for D’Shawn Knowles who hit the Owlz’ first homer of the 2019 season to make it a 2-0 ballgame.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, the Vibes starter Vassalotti gave up a solo homer to Johan Sala for Orem’s second longball of the night to extend the Owlz lead to 3-0. One out later, Morgan McCullough singled for Orem’s third and final hit of the night.

The Vibes sole hit of the game came off the bat of Antonio Piñero in the form of a stand-up double in the third inning. The Colorado Springs relief pitching staff looked solid on the night, allowing no runs and no hits with five strikeouts through four innings of work.

The Vibes head into game two of a four game set against the Owlz in Orem tomorrow at 7:05 PM MT (8:05 Central).

Just-turned 20-year-old Australian Jess Williams had the toughest night, fanning all three times up. Perhaps miscast in LF, but that's where he spent more and more time last year in Maryvale and through the Australian summer, seeing less time on the dirt.

it was a scoreless stateside debut for 21-year-old Puerto Rican LHP Jose Alberro, after three DSL seasons. So at least he skips Maryvale.

Speaking of skipping Maryvale, how about the professional debut of 21-year-old Dominican RHP Cristian Sierra happening not in the DSL or Maryvale, but in the Pioneer League. However, there's extenuating circumstances behind that -- this is from November 2017:

"Minor league pitcher Cristian Sierra was suspended for the first 72 games of next season for testing positive for Boldenone, a banned performance enhancing substance. Sierra, who signed in July of this year and had yet to begin his pro career, was on the roster of the Dominican Summer League Brewers."

Our Brewerfan thread forum archives show that Sierra received only a $10,000 bonus.

Sierra stranded all three of RHP Brady Schanuel's runners in the 9th. Schanuel, 2018's 27th round pick out of the University of Iowa, walked two and hit two batters while recording four outs, paralleling his 2018 Helena struggles in eight appearances there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: DSL Brewers/Indians 6, DSL Dodgers "Shoemaker" Squad 5, ten innings

If you are going to break a nine-game losing streak, do it in walk-off fashion. And there was much rejoicing...

DSL Indians/Brewers Bottom of the 10th

Elian Gonzalez starts inning at 2nd base.

Angel Bautista out on a sacrifice bunt, catcher Frank Rodriguez to first baseman Oscar Alvarez. Elian Gonzalez to 3rd.

Jeicor Cristian singles on a line drive to center fielder Julio Enrique. Elian Gonzalez scores.

Two of the five pitchers listed are Crew farmhands, rookie Venezuelan RHP Yostin Villalobos, who struggled, and 2nd-year Dominican RHP Deybi Arias, who tossed a scoreless frame.

Our "it" guy on this squad, 17-year-old rookie Venezuelan SS Carlos Roa, saw his average plummet to .441 after a 1-for-4, two RBI effort. Shame on him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: DSL Brewers 8, DSL Cubs #2 Squad 5

Three of four pitchers threw well, as the good guys led 8-2 after seven innings.

Our other "it" shortstop on the island, 16-year-old Venezuelan Eduardo Garcia, was 2-for-4 with a walk and RBI and sports a shiny 1.066 OPS after seven games.

Roa is at 1.077 after nine games.

Neither is going to fade significantly, get used to their names being prominent here all summer long.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

When Maryvale kicks off with dual box scores starting Monday night, it'll be our own Brewerfan Toby to the rescue with box score notes and analysis. Please keep in mind due to the nature of the late night boxes, and well, we do have lives outside of the Link Report, we'll say a noon central deadline is a reasonable expectation to see those write-ups.

A big factor in keeping up with the Link Report, now in its 19th year, is we are very much aware of how widely read it is among those in the Brewers' front office, scouting staff, broadcast crews, beat writers, players, and families of players. We know because of all the emails, messages, and shout-outs over the years, especially recently. Thank you so much. We appreciate your eyes being here.

If you are a player who checks us out regularly, especially at the lower levels of the system, please let others, including all the new draftees, that we are here. Maybe even moreso for the benefit of families and family friends of those in the pipeline.

While you're at it, have them follow myself and Toby on Twitter, thanks again.

Archived