Brewer Fanatic

Trey Mancini

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/trey-mancini-trade-candidate-elias-orioles-rumors.html

Trey Mancini is someone I'd be interested in acquiring to play 1st base if the Brewers decide to replace Aguilar. He is entering his 1st year of Arbitration next season and under control through 2022, which would fit our Cain/Yelich window nicely. He would certainly be costly in prospects due to that.

He is currently slashing .302/.356/.556 with 14 HR (34 XBH total) and 33 RBI.

Thoughts? What would it take and would you be willing to part with them?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/trey-mancini-trade-candidate-elias-orioles-rumors.html

Thoughts? What would it take and would you be willing to part with them?

Mancini is a good target. Problem is he will cost more than people realize.

Baltimore has many needs and Mancini is their best trade chip. That said they have to be overwhelmed to deal him now. Having 3 years of control after this season, there is ZERO reason for the Orioles to deal Mancini now UNLESS the get a King's Ransom PLUS.

One other aspect to consider. Yes there have been deals between the Brewers & Orioles over the past few years (generally that is a good thing). How have those deals worked out for the O's?? IMHO those deals have not gone well for the O's so they will likely be weary of making another deal with the Brewers unless they get a VERY GOOD DEAL in their point of view...

The O's rebuild by all accounts is going to be more than a 3 year process. So for the right package, I think he could be had. But it's going to take a lot. Probably at least 2 very good arms including one at or near the major league level (Peralta?) and a couple everyday players, though those could be more low level guys and you could toss in an Aguilar or Shaw that they could try and build value for a future deal.

IMHO those deals have not gone well for the O's so they will likely be weary of making another deal with the Brewers unless they get a VERY GOOD DEAL in their point of view...

This is madness, which I guess makes your name quite fitting. This just isn't true. They need a VERY GOOD DEAL just because the last few trade between us have not gone their way? What deals have there even been? Villar? Davies? K-ROD? Which one was even a big loss to them....Davies? Hardly much robbery going on.

"Hey man, I think this trade of Mancini to the Brewers is a good deal."

GM: "Just a good deal? Nope, we need a very good deal because they won the last trade."

Biggest myth ever, GMs don't not make trades that they think are good because some past trade(s) (some of which with totally different front offices) didn't go there way. If they think it is a good trade and their team views it as good enough for Mancini they are going to take it. Not demand extra because the last trade didn't work out.

I don't want Mancini though. Too expensive and unless his breakout is legit he isn't even good...at least for us as he will play 1B. Last two years .826/.715 respectively for OPS. Also I don't know why, but his defense is rated as atrocious...so take that for what it is worth. He is a better gamble for a team in need of an OFer (if he can actually play well out there) because then a .800ish OPS isn't terrible if he regresses. If we get him and he regresses he is no better than our current guys. I don't think we need an unproven 1B with possibly bad defense, too risky when we need known production if we are going to trade for it...especially if expensive.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Mancini is a 27 year old RH 1b that's mediocre at best defensively and is hitting around 900 OPS this year while being a career 801 OPS hitter...and all this playing in a division full of hitter friendly parks. And the O's are going to get a kings ransom for him? Don't we have 3 or 4 threads going about different 1b options that are mostly better than Mancini, albeit with less team control?

RH 1b that aren't posting over 900 OPS consistently are not going to get much in trade. If you can find any precedent of a team giving up a kings ransom for a RH 1B only that's been very mediocre aside from a good not great 1st half...I'm open to it.

The Orioles have a new GM and staff and there is no history between the two front offices in terms of completed trades. What they do have is that Mike Elias (Baltimore) and Stearns both come from the Houston Astros pipeline with the same analytical goals. I would assume that means they would value the same players which could be good or bad. We will have to see how that plays out.

For what it is worth, I live in the Baltimore area and follow the birds as my adopted local team. Mike Elias just did an interview where he was asked directly about trading Mancini. Instead of the normal canned response, he made it known that any player is available for discussion and the Os are open for business.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Mancini is a 27 year old RH 1b that's mediocre at best defensively and is hitting around 900 OPS this year while being a career 801 OPS hitter...and all this playing in a division full of hitter friendly parks. And the O's are going to get a kings ransom for him? Don't we have 3 or 4 threads going about different 1b options that are mostly better than Mancini, albeit with less team control?

RH 1b that aren't posting over 900 OPS consistently are not going to get much in trade. If you can find any precedent of a team giving up a kings ransom for a RH 1B only that's been very mediocre aside from a good not great 1st half...I'm open to it.

Yes you are missing something. He plays in the AL East, therefore is AL East proven, and therefore is better than any hitter other than Yelich on a lowly NL Central roster like Milwaukee. Just ask any national baseball writer and that's what he'd tell you (without the blue aspect).

Community Moderator
The Orioles have a new GM and staff and there is no history between the two front offices in terms of completed trades. What they do have is that Mike Elias (Baltimore) and Stearns both come from the Houston Astros pipeline with the same analytical goals. I would assume that means they would value the same players which could be good or bad. We will have to see how that plays out.

It is interesting that Stearns and Elias worked so closely together. When Stearns left the Astros organization to come to Milwaukee, Elias was promoted to Stearns’ vacated role. As you mentioned, it is difficult to know whether that means they’ll partner more frequently on future trades, or become more likely to steer clear of doing business together.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It is interesting that Stearns and Elias worked so closely together. When Stearns left the Astros organization to come to Milwaukee, Elias was promoted to Stearns’ vacated role. As you mentioned, it is difficult to know whether that means they’ll partner more frequently on future trades, or become more likely to steer clear of doing business together.

I would personally view it as bad in bigger trades but good in smaller trades. I don't think Stearns wants to make a big trade unless he feels he's winning the trade, and generally harder to win when you value guys similarly. But smaller trades probably allows for less bickering about value if they view a guy similarly. It will be interesting if the 2 teams end up making any trades.

Archived