Brewer Fanatic

Isn't this supposed to be fun?

The Brewers haven't been in a pennant chase for 15 years and finally we're back in it again. I'm only 26 years old and always dreamed of the year we'd be at the top of the division driving towards the postseason. Each season I'd watch other teams in the playoff hunt and think, wow wouldn't that be fun if it were the Brewers!

Now here we are right in the thick of the playoff chase. Yet every win feels like a relief and every loss is crushing. Half the people on the board think this team stinks. I never in a million years thought a run at the division could be painful yet there is as much negativity among Brewers fans as any other year. What am I missing?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part I agree with you. It seems odd that a few painful losses has many turned against a team that hasn't been in a pennant race this late in the year in a long time. On the other hand, I think it's probably the natural process. I'm sure there was plenty of this going on in St. Louis last year when the Cards weren't playing well.

The other part, and i'm severely not trying to change the direction of this thread, seems to be that there are a lot of fans that didn't sit and watch the losing in order to appreciate the winning. Many don't remember 1992, not necessarily because they're "bandwagon", but possibly because they weren't alive or coherent enough yet.

Hang in there everyone, we're still in first place http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't remember when having a closer blow a 2 run lead in the 9th in a game we once led 6-0 was fun even back in 82.

But I know what you are saying, it's just that after so many years of losing we expect them to let us down and lately it is starting to appear that they just might do that.

There is still time for them to turn it aournd though, and as endder said we just haven't won one of these type games that we are losing so reguraly lately. The cynic in me is saying that this team is choking a bit but I am sure the stat guys would tell me there are ups and dows in every season, even for good teams.

I'm having fun with it, today's loss is the first one that really has be ticked off.

This team does not stink, and will pull out of this. Check the talent level of this roster, this is a playoff caliber team, that is having a garbage July.

I'm seeing too many guys jogging when they hit ground balls, etc, right now. Something needs to snap them awake, which I'm confident will happen.

Something needs to snap them awake, which I'm confident will happen.

...let's just hope it's not a no-hitter again http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Maybe today's heartbreaking loss was what they needed. Maybe it's just what Coco needed.

I'm seeing too many guys jogging when they hit ground balls, etc, right now.

Exactly, and considering how much time off Ned gives them, there is absolutely no reason for this. I think he needs to pound it into them that he gives them that time off so that they're rested and can hustle every play when they get on the field. No more watching home runs, no more jogging on ground balls, basically no more playing "not to lose". Ned talks about "battling" with "gritty" "gamers", so it's about time they start playing like it. A lot of us joke about those terms, but if that's what he claims to put on the field, then he better start putting that on the field.

But I'm still having a blast http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Quote:
I'm sure there was plenty of this going on in St. Louis last year when the Cards weren't playing well.

I was in St. Louis last year for a week in late July or early August. They has a pretty comfortable lead, and yet their sports talk shows went 24-7 on how bad the Cards were playing. I was amazed. I don't think sports fans are ever truly happy.

i have been following the brewers since opening day 1970...my heart can barely handle this season and the pressure the brewers are under right now.

if you think this is bad, the brewers blew a 4 game lead in the last four games of the 82 season. if it wasnt for ned yost and his huge 3 run 9th inning hr in boston with 5 games left in the season, we would have never made the playoffs...oh... and it was his first hr of the season. the game was actually on tv and ned had a grin on his face when he rounded second

just think what brewerfan.netters would have been saying in the 82 situation...and there was no internet unless you were al gore

i stand corrected by whizkid

It will be fun only if we end up winning the division or wild card. Otherwise, what is the solace in this season when we started out 14 games over .500 and had a 8.5 game division lead? Granted, everyone knew we were not a .700 baseball team, but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking.

My main issue is that we've blown what seems like about 6 or 7 games in the 9th inning (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and won from what I can recall one in the 9th (Miller walkoff). The fact that we are getting our hearts ripped out much more often than ripping out others is what will make this season unbearable to swallow if we give up the lead.

That was kind of a tangent, but I think many Brewer fans feel the same way. While it's nice to currently have the division lead, it's painful to know that all these blown games are what is keeping us from being a very comfortable fan base right now.

It's a blast having the division lead and being in a pennant race for the first time in years and years. I just smile at the thought of it, and smile when I walk into Miller Park and see 35k on a Tuesday night. It's by far the funnest time I've had being a Brewer fan in years.

But, at the same time, the games we are losing, we are losing in ugly fashions. For the most part we aren't getting beat by better teams. We are losing winnable games to sub-.500 teams.

Blown saves, runs not scoring from third with no outs, bases loaded with less than two outs and only one run or less.

We're doing it ugly and it's just disappointing. I see nothing wrong with people being upset with losing games the way we are.

Now if we're getting beat 3-2 in a pitcher's duel against the ace of the other team's staff, or 7-6 by the Red Sox without blowing a save, you get the picture.

We're losing winnable games and games we already had won and that's why if someone vents, they should be allowed to do so.

this team doesnt seem to have the "dagger thru the heart" mentality

Posts like this drive me crazy... What are you basing this on? And better yet, would you say this if Cordero converts his last 2 saves? I'm sure you wouldn't.

Now here we are right in the thick of the playoff chase. Yet every win feels like a relief and every loss is crushing. Half the people on the board think this team stinks. I never in a million years thought a run at the division could be painful yet there is as much negativity among Brewers fans as any other year. What am I missing?

I think the problem is that baeball is such a long season, and even a 90 win team loses 72 games. The Packers don't lose 72 games in 10 years. I just don't think people appreciate all the ups and downs in a 162 game season. Right now, Braun is out of his mind and seriously is playing like an MVP candidate. But guess what? Im bringing this post back up if he has a 1-25 stretch and people start complaining and saying he's too cocky, needs to get sent down, etc.

There was no playoff in '82, they won on the last game of the season, at Baltimore, against Palmer, having needed only to have won 1 of the first 3 to clinch. That's tension.

Very few teams run away from everyone and have a comfortable season. It's a long 6 month season and the best teams don't win at nearly the high rate as with football or basketball so there are more ups and downs. When the Sox won in '05 it must have seemed really comfortable until September when they slumped and Cleveland came on to put a scare into the Sox fans only to fall short.

This is the way pennant races generally are. Most here just don't know from first hand experience.

"It's unbelievable, the mentality here. When I was in Atlanta, they won 14 straight championships. We could lose eight straight and you'd get the same response: 'No big deal,'" says Estrada. "When you're used to winning, it's a different attitude. A different feeling. A different mentality. Here, it's like a panic zone.This is a different team. I guess, every year, when things go bad, it's like, 'Here we go again.

"(Scoreboard watching) drives me nuts, I know people are excited around here. And there's something to be excited about. But we just got to kind of keep plugging along."

- Johnny Estrada

I think that pretty much sums you what your saying.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

The way today has gone, my gut tells me that 2 weeks or so from now, the Brewers are either going to be 4-5 games up, or 4-5 games back. That's based on nothing but a hunch - but, if correct, this is either going to be very fun, or very much like the life of a Brewer fan.

Quote:
"It's unbelievable, the mentality here. When I was in Atlanta, they won 14 straight championships. We could lose eight straight and you'd get the same response: 'No big deal,'" says Estrada. "When you're used to winning, it's a different attitude. A different feeling. A different mentality. Here, it's like a panic zone.This is a different team. I guess, every year, when things go bad, it's like, 'Here we go again.

"(Scoreboard watching) drives me nuts, I know people are excited around here. And there's something to be excited about. But we just got to kind of keep plugging along."

- Johnny Estrada

On the other side Estrada has to understand where the younger Brewers fans are coming from. I've never seen the Brewers in a playoff chase I have no idea how to act. To me every game is big.

trwi, Johnny is talking about hyperactive fans and sportswriters who have to invent a story every day. He's not referring to his teammates.

Anyway, aren't the lows part of the excitement just the same way the highs are?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Quote:
To fully appreciate each emotion you have to experience both.

Okay but not now. Make the playoffs this year and then miss out next year or something. I don't want to wait another year.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

So an 8.5 game lead is about to go to 1.5. We can't win on the road. Our closer has blown 5 saves and we have returned the favor far to infrequently (1-41 when trailing after 8). Our best pitcher is on the DL and our defense and bullpen seems to have sprung a leak.

The team has played below .500 ball for going on 3 months now after a hot start and to top it off we just faced a guy who was 0-10 with an ERA close to 7 and he held us to 2 runs on 2 hits.

What part of that is supposed to be fun?

Why is it that when people get frustrated by a teams poor play over an extended period of time players and coaches have to accuse the fans and media of "panicking"?

(fixed accidentally posted emoticon --1992)

Quote:
What part of that is supposed to be fun?

Well for starters, we're better off right now than we have been in years. We're in first place and for the first time in ages we can legitimately say we're in a pennant race. I'm not saying games like today's aren't painful, but I guess I figured I'd be enjoying the ride a lot more than I am right now. I guess you've got to look at the big picture.

markedman5, I think of the person who gets a thrill by placing himself in danger. I'm not going to go cliff-diving in Acapulco, but I can enjoy something like this.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Exactly. How can you have a soaring high without a crushing low? It's like, how can you have a happy song without sad songs? To fully appreciate each emotion you have to experience both.

There ain't no dark 'til something shines...

Me, I'm looking at this year as the beginning of a five year run...the Brewers are good again, and there's reason to believe that they're going to get better. Not only do they have a lot of young players, but the young players are in general better than the older guys. Early indications are that they have developed several major league pitchers from the farm system. Think about that for a moment...

They are buyers at the deadline, for heaven's sakes, and there's only one team in the NL with more wins.

But, yeah, losing this DH stinks...

Archived