Brewer Fanatic

DSL - report on "prospects to watch"

Perhaps I'm missing it in another thread, but can anyone provide a quick report on "prospects to watch" down in the DSL this summer? I know we have some big names in Fernandez and Garcia down there getting their starts, but what other names should we be keeping an eye on? I see that there is a Parra kid that is only 16 years old and putting up great numbers so far. Is this legit with him? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps I'm missing it in another thread, but can anyone provide a quick report on "prospects to watch" down in the DSL this summer? I know we have some big names in Fernandez and Garcia down there getting their starts, but what other names should we be keeping an eye on? I see that there is a Parra kid that is only 16 years old and putting up great numbers so far. Is this legit with him? Thanks in advance.

Parra had a really nice write up in the Baseball America International Review here https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-19-mlb-international-reviews-milwaukee-brewers/:

"In addition to Garcia, several of the Brewers' top 2018-19 signings came from Venezuela, including shortstop Jesus Parra, who signed when he turned 16 on Aug. 30. Had Parra been born 48 hours later, he would have been a 2019 player, so he's one of the youngest players in the 2018 class and will play all year as a 16-year-old in his professional debut. Parra was one of the better hitters available in Venezuela last year, and he's continued to trend up since signing. He has grown to 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, with a promising blend of size, hitting ability, strike-zone judgment and power. Parra performed well in games as an amateur, both in terms of getting on base and hitting for power. He's already showing above-average power that could climb once he fills out. A below-average runner, Parra is an offensive-oriented player who might outgrow shortstop, but his hands and feet work well for his size and he has a plus arm that would fit well at third base. Parra trained with Alejandro Chividatte."

So he seems to have some real legs in the report, to add to the hot start. Another one is Branlyn Jaraba who is showing some nice power and also had a nice write-up in that BA article, and then Erys Bautista who was written up as well but appears to have gotten off to a rough start. Carlos Roa is with that split Brewers/Indians team but is another write-up who seems interesting.

Pitching wise I can't be of a ton of help right now tho to be honest haha.

Parra had a really nice write up in the Baseball America International Review here https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-19-mlb-international-reviews-milwaukee-brewers/:

"In addition to Garcia, several of the Brewers' top 2018-19 signings came from Venezuela, including shortstop Jesus Parra, who signed when he turned 16 on Aug. 30. Had Parra been born 48 hours later, he would have been a 2019 player, so he's one of the youngest players in the 2018 class and will play all year as a 16-year-old in his professional debut. Parra was one of the better hitters available in Venezuela last year, and he's continued to trend up since signing. He has grown to 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, with a promising blend of size, hitting ability, strike-zone judgment and power. Parra performed well in games as an amateur, both in terms of getting on base and hitting for power. He's already showing above-average power that could climb once he fills out. A below-average runner, Parra is an offensive-oriented player who might outgrow shortstop, but his hands and feet work well for his size and he has a plus arm that would fit well at third base. Parra trained with Alejandro Chividatte."

So he seems to have some real legs in the report, to add to the hot start. Another one is Branlyn Jaraba who is showing some nice power and also had a nice write-up in that BA article, and then Erys Bautista who was written up as well but appears to have gotten off to a rough start. Carlos Roa is with that split Brewers/Indians team but is another write-up who seems interesting.

Pitching wise I can't be of a ton of help right now tho to be honest haha.

Awesome - thanks for sharing this. Parra is certainly intriguing, especially with his very impressive hot start to his season down there.

Archived