Brewer Fanatic

Starter, Backup, Trade...

Three catchers in the system: Mario Feliciano, David Fry, and Payton Henry

Who starts, who is the backup, and who gets traded?

My picks:

Starter: Fry

Backup: Feliciano

Trade: Henry

Fry has shown pure offensive dominance over his entire minor-league career, and so I'd be inclined to stick with the more proven bat as a starter. Feliciano's breakout this year makes him a good backup choice.

Henry's the guy who gets dealt in this. So will Max McDowell and Nottingham at this point.

It feels good to be this deep. Good catching prospects can get a haul of other prospects.

I don't know enough about their defense to really have an opinion, and that plays a major part in whoever makes it. The pure statline scouting approach tends to work less well with catchers. But I'd go with Feliciano, betting on youth and tools. The K% is high, but a 142 wRC+ as a 20 year old catcher in A+ is impressive. Aggressively promoted and has responded well. It's harder to judge college draftees beating up on younger pitchers; their offense might be for real, or it might not.

But honestly at this point, Nottingham is the most likely among them to make it, simply because he's already made it to the majors and not embarrassed himself there. The next test for the others will be if they can handle AA, and if they can stick behind the plate. I like that they've drafted catchers relatively high in recent drafts, including this year. But not really buying into the idea that they'll get us a bunch of other prospects; prospect-for-prospect trades aren't all that common. Fill the organization with good catchers, have patience and let them develop. Can help pitching development as well.

I also suspect that with the upcoming 26-man rosters with the 13-pitcher maximum, a lot of teams will want a versatile 3rd catcher for that extra spot, someone who can play another position (And ideally not 1B) well too. So good catching depth will be very useful, so let's not be trading anyone for a good while yet.

Three catchers in the system: Mario Feliciano, David Fry, and Payton Henry

Who starts, who is the backup, and who gets traded?

My picks:

Starter: Fry

Backup: Feliciano

Trade: Henry

Fry has shown pure offensive dominance over his entire minor-league career, and so I'd be inclined to stick with the more proven bat as a starter. Feliciano's breakout this year makes him a good backup choice.

Henry's the guy who gets dealt in this. So will Max McDowell and Nottingham at this point.

It feels good to be this deep. Good catching prospects can get a haul of other prospects.

He's still in Appleton...he's older for that league and he was drafted last year. So don't you think you're just slightly overstating the case here a bit?

I'll answer the question.

Starter, starter, starter(Unless we need one to make a big trade).

They'll all start since having a number of catching options is good...but I wouldn't possibly be able to predict if the oldest guy playing at the lowest level is going to be the eventual starter or not. We've seen guys like Angel Salome who drew Ivan Rodriquez comps fall away for "lesser" prospects in guys like Lucroy.

Lets just see how they develop.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Good topic.

Feliciano is a good athlete and is having an excellent year. Along with Grisham and Turang, those are the guys who just pop out at you so far this year (as far as position players go).

Everything I’ve heard is the organization loves Henry. Rugged catcher with intangibles and good pop although he lacks consistency with the stick.

As for Fry, he’s an advanced bat but I’d like to hear more about his receiving skills. Age-adjusted, I’d put him third although I find him intriguing.

Feliciano is best pure bat. He’s has been pushed very aggressively. If not for all the injuries last year he could be 20 in AA right now. Coming out of draft, scouts raved about his offensive upside. Defense has grown greatly but still has ability & athleticism to move if needed.

Henry appears to be an organization favorite due to defensive work, offensive potential, and gritty work ethic. They continue to rave about him all spring.

Fry is good system catcher. Old for every level & could see him eventually cracking an MLB roster as an older journeyman type backup catcher. He’s very valuable with his ability to work with young pitchers & as leader. I’ll never buy in on older guy for league success.

Way to early to predict how it will turn out for all them. We drafted more catchers who will be in mix soon as well. Kahle could see Wisconsin this season. Dillard I doubt will ever be a catcher full time. All you are doing is holding back his bat by forcing him to spend most of his time focusing on learning to catch. Been 3 years since he has caught pretty much.

Nottingham I think has best profile for everyday catcher as of now. Defense has really grown. Never be a top tier defender but good enough. Struggling this year with bat a bit but think that will always be his ticket.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Feliciano is best pure bat. He’s has been pushed very aggressively. If not for all the injuries last year he could be 20 in AA right now. Coming out of draft, scouts raved about his offensive upside. Defense has grown greatly but still has ability & athleticism to move if needed.

Henry appears to be an organization favorite due to defensive work, offensive potential, and gritty work ethic. They continue to rave about him all spring.

Fry is good system catcher. Old for every level & could see him eventually cracking an MLB roster as an older journeyman type backup catcher. He’s very valuable with his ability to work with young pitchers & as leader. I’ll never buy in on older guy for league success.

Way to early to predict how it will turn out for all them. We drafted more catchers who will be in mix soon as well. Kahle could see Wisconsin this season. Dillard I doubt will ever be a catcher full time. All you are doing is holding back his bat by forcing him to spend most of his time focusing on learning to catch. Been 3 years since he has caught pretty much.

Nottingham I think has best profile for everyday catcher as of now. Defense has really grown. Never be a top tier defender but good enough. Struggling this year with bat a bit but think that will always be his ticket.

Fry, I think is, at worst a bat-first #2 catcher who can also be the right-handed half of a 1B platoon (a righty Stephen Vogt, if you will). His bat is the most advanced between him, Feliciano, and Henry. Feliciano is doing very well this year, but is his 2019 a breakout or a one-year wonder? Henry's got a 3TO bat...

Then there is Nottingham, Hummel (limited time, but still an option), McDowell (another Maldonado - not bad, but I'm spoiled by Lucroy, Grandal, and the potential of Fry), Kahle, and Dillard.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Fry is a 23-year-old advanced college catcher. He should be dominating low A ball. He seems solid, but there is probably just as much of a shot he'll end up being a system guy as he will make an impact at the major league level. There is infinitely more upside with Feliciano and Henry.

Didn't Clint Coulter dominate A ball as a 20 year old? I think perspective tells us that alot can happen as these guys move up the chain. I'll be happy if we get a solid starter out of any of the three although I think Feliciano is showing a hell of alot of upside as a 20 year old at High A and has top 100 potential.

Fry is a 23-year-old advanced college catcher. He should be dominating low A ball. He seems solid, but there is probably just as much of a shot he'll end up being a system guy as he will make an impact at the major league level. There is infinitely more upside with Feliciano and Henry.

True, and I'd like to see him in Carolina, and Feliciano in Biloxi.

If Fry’s bat was more advance than Super Mario’s, Mario would not be putting up arguably just as good of numbers in a higher level that is traditionally more pitcher friendly while being 3 years younger. People soured on Mario after his age 19 at Carolina was a lost season due to injuries. Was league all-star at Wisconsin at 18 & started out great before wearing down as season went on. Outside of Bb% being a little higher & a much better K%, I really don’t think Fry is on Feliciano’s level. Maybe if he was 23 vs 20 and back in Wisconsin, Feliciano’s Bb & K% would be on par with Fry. Young guys traditionally K at a higher rate when pushed aggressively. Turang is exception to rule.

I strongly doubt Henry will remain more 3TO type. Believe he was minor league gold glove catcher last year & D may be more advanced than offense currently but he flashes great potential with bat. Again, he is aggressively placed & still younger for league. Carolina League is not great for offense, look it up. Carolina over the two years for Brewers, hitters have averaged .237 with OPS of .690.... so far this season, Mudcats are in middle to top of pack right in that range again. Henry is sitting at .243 with .723 OPS and 107 wRC+. His walks are way low compared to career average at 4.3% last year was 9.6%. His Ks have grown every year & he will need to fix that. ISO continues to be strong.

Verified Member
What's the scouting report on Brent Diaz? I assume he's minor league roster filler as a 29th round pick a couple years ago, but his numbers have sure been solid in limited time.

Didn't Clint Coulter dominate A ball as a 20 year old? I think perspective tells us that alot can happen as these guys move up the chain. I'll be happy if we get a solid starter out of any of the three although I think Feliciano is showing a hell of alot of upside as a 20 year old at High A and has top 100 potential.

Ahhh...Coulter. I went to a ton of Rattlers games just to watch him play....probably because I watched him Wrestle as a kid(state champ, quit after his Soph season I believe). I'll always believe he could have stuck behind the plate had they given him more time. He was incredibly quick, flexible, strong....but, the clocks ticking on all these guys. Once he moved to the OF, his prospects took a nose dive.

If Fry’s bat was more advance than Super Mario’s, Mario would not be putting up arguably just as good of numbers in a higher level that is traditionally more pitcher friendly while being 3 years younger. People soured on Mario after his age 19 at Carolina was a lost season due to injuries. Was league all-star at Wisconsin at 18 & started out great before wearing down as season went on. Outside of Bb% being a little higher & a much better K%, I really don’t think Fry is on Feliciano’s level. Maybe if he was 23 vs 20 and back in Wisconsin, Feliciano’s Bb & K% would be on par with Fry. Young guys traditionally K at a higher rate when pushed aggressively. Turang is exception to rule.

I strongly doubt Henry will remain more 3TO type. Believe he was minor league gold glove catcher last year & D may be more advanced than offense currently but he flashes great potential with bat. Again, he is aggressively placed & still younger for league. Carolina League is not great for offense, look it up. Carolina over the two years for Brewers, hitters have averaged .237 with OPS of .690.... so far this season, Mudcats are in middle to top of pack right in that range again. Henry is sitting at .243 with .723 OPS and 107 wRC+. His walks are way low compared to career average at 4.3% last year was 9.6%. His Ks have grown every year & he will need to fix that. ISO continues to be strong.

Great background. Always appreciate the more analysis. What's Feliciano's potential look like to you? Could he be a guy who hits .300, 15-20 Hr's and gets on base?

Sorry if somebody's already posted this, but David Fry leads all of the Minors and also the Majors in doubles right now with 26. Thought that was sorta cool.

The only reason I know this is because while looking at the most recent box score, I noticed it showed he hit his 26th of the season and I thought it must have been a mistake.

Sorry if somebody's already posted this, but David Fry leads all of the Minors and also the Majors in doubles right now with 26. Thought that was sorta cool.

The only reason I know this is because while looking at the most recent box score, I noticed it showed he hit his 26th of the season and I thought it must have been a mistake.

Yeah did a double take when I saw that last night. Fry has a little bit of Lyle Overbay in him! From my writing, it may come off as I dislike Fry but I think he is a solid player. Older guys crush Rookie ball & A ball all the time then flameout by A+ or AA. Until he is not the oldest guy (or one of them) on a team, I can’t give a real assessment.

As for Super Mario I think way his power is ticking up right now, at 20 years old, I think 20 Hrs a year wouldn’t be a stretch at all as he continues matures physically. Same with average, he is a good hitter. If he stays at catcher, even if he can hit .260-.270 that’d be great. He needs to make more contact though. With more power has come more Ks. Since drafted, his bat has been his ticket.

Yeah did a double take when I saw that last night. Fry has a little bit of Lyle Overbay in him! From my writing, it may come off as I dislike Fry but I think he is a solid player. Older guys crush Rookie ball & A ball all the time then flameout by A+ or AA. Until he is not the oldest guy (or one of them) on a team, I can’t give a real assessment.

As for Super Mario I think way his power is ticking up right now, at 20 years old, I think 20 Hrs a year wouldn’t be a stretch at all as he continues matures physically. Same with average, he is a good hitter. If he stays at catcher, even if he can hit .260-.270 that’d be great. He needs to make more contact though. With more power has come more Ks. Since drafted, his bat has been his ticket.

If Fry sticks behind the plate, I see his floor as a right-handed Vogt. I said that before, but a right-handed Vogt is not a bad thing to have as a #2 catcher (or even as a utility guy).

Archived