Brewer Fanatic

Trent Grisham

adambr2
A lot of (comparatively) high-altitude ballparks in the PCL, which helps BABIP. They're often bigger as well to compensate. And then there's this year's baseball. And BABIP in general in the minors is going to be higher due to worse defense, and (I think) less shifting. Overall a bunch of things that could explain the increased BABIP as he moved up, including a few more % worth of Linedrives. Generally a high HR/FB rate will drive up BABIP as well, since fly balls that don't go for HRs tend to be outs far more often than grounders or linedrives.

But BABIP is one of the slowest stats there is when it comes to stabilization rate, I recall it being 1200 PAs or so, though not sure if that was for pitchers or hitters. Regardless, he doesn't have enough PAs at either level to say anything conclusively even if it would seem he was, as you say, unlucky at AA and having some more luck in AAA.

Obviously his numbers are going to be lower in the Majors, but I believe someone said recently (maybe on Twitter or maybe here) that he's 3rd in the PCL in DRC+ and that was before the cycle.

There's still something to outperforming everyone else in the league, even if it's a hitter friendly league, and word was he was still crushing the ball at AA as well in a more pitcher friendly environment.

He hasn't sold out for power either.

It's really really hard to poke holes in his season. It really looks legit.

I wasn't arguing athat he wasn't for real, or not performing well. Just replying to the point brought up regarding his BABIP between AA and AAA. He has been about the same in relation to AAA as Trout has been to MLB, which even if that isn't his true talent level you still need to be a good player to do for even a couple of months.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of (comparatively) high-altitude ballparks in the PCL, which helps BABIP. They're often bigger as well to compensate. And then there's this year's baseball. And BABIP in general in the minors is going to be higher due to worse defense, and (I think) less shifting. Overall a bunch of things that could explain the increased BABIP as he moved up, including a few more % worth of Linedrives. Generally a high HR/FB rate will drive up BABIP as well, since fly balls that don't go for HRs tend to be outs far more often than grounders or linedrives.

But BABIP is one of the slowest stats there is when it comes to stabilization rate, I recall it being 1200 PAs or so, though not sure if that was for pitchers or hitters. Regardless, he doesn't have enough PAs at either level to say anything conclusively even if it would seem he was, as you say, unlucky at AA and having some more luck in AAA.

Obviously his numbers are going to be lower in the Majors, but I believe someone said recently (maybe on Twitter or maybe here) that he's 3rd in the PCL in DRC+ and that was before the cycle.

There's still something to outperforming everyone else in the league, even if it's a hitter friendly league, and word was he was still crushing the ball at AA as well in a more pitcher friendly environment.

He hasn't sold out for power either.

It's really really hard to poke holes in his season. It really looks legit.

I wasn't arguing athat he wasn't for real, or not performing well. Just replying to the point brought up regarding his BABIP between AA and AAA. He has been about the same in relation to AAA as Trout has been to MLB, which even if that isn't his true talent level you still need to be a good player to do for even a couple of months.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood.

Probably about another 20 minutes before we're in the clear but no news on any last minute trades yet for the Brewers. I'm usually for trading any prospect in the right situation, but I'll be very glad to hold onto Grisham if for no other reason than it's been insanely fun to follow his statlines for the past few months.

Going Back to June 8, 2015. Colby posted Trent’s Perfect Game write up & why Brewers fans should be happy with the pick. It’s exciting to go back and read this along with other scouting reports because myself and many others continue to point out “this is what he was suppose to become” He was a lefty prep 5 tool OF Keston Hiura. He was suppose to walk a ton, not K much, hit for average, add power, have good speed, be very baseball smart, and a leader. I remember in Arizona there were reports that he sprinted in to and out of of dugout for defense. He did same on bases. Very driven & determined kid.

Even more exciting is going back and reading articles about him and the adjustments he had been working on. The mechanics of it. Not only does he talk about it but you can see the results each season and the improvements. Where he is hitting the ball (pull, middle, oppo) & how (ground, fly, line drive) are big ones. His Ks have dropped once he decided to be more aggressive.

I’m not saying he will hit .330 with 30+ HRs and OPS 1.100 but think he will be a very good player and this is a fluke. It’s a combination of the skills and tools he has always had & the focus, determination, and effort he has put into changing his approach and mechanics. He’s only 22. I’m glad we held on to him!

From Colby

Brewers fans should be happy with this pick as many to most never expected to make it there. One of the best pure hitters in the draft and he has some speed to boot. Here's his PG report:

Trenton Clark – OF

Height/Weight: 6-0/200

Bats/Throws: L/L

High School: Richland

Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas

Travel Team: D-BAT

Commitment: Texas Tech

Projected Draft Round: 1

The sample size is growing larger and larger for Trenton Clark. The north Texas outfielder can flat out hit. And not only is he incredibly consistent about squaring up the baseball, the lefthanded hitter appears to have a complete offensive package of tools and skills.

The evidence line reads as follows. Clark hit .458-10-34 as a high school junior. He then dominated the Tournament of Stars as a previously unheralded prospect, then hit .565 with three home runs and 10 walks for the USA National 18u team. This spring he's off to a .550-1-5 start in five games, with 11 walks against two strikeouts.

Clark's patience and vision at the plate immediately stand out when you watch him play over a multi-day period. He's not afraid to work counts, is loathe to swing at anything he can't square up and treats a walk with the enthusiasm most hitters treat a line drive in the gap. It would be a big surprise if he wasn't a high on-base performer at the next level.

Clark's speed is also impactful. He regularly runs in the 4.0 to 4.1 range from the left side and boosts his average with a steady flow of infield hits. He's also already shown that he's practiced in the art of bunting and will bunt for a base hit if given the opportunity.

Although he has obviously shown home run power, that is one area of his offensive package that most scouts will likely only grade out as big league average. Part of that reason relates to swing plane and his swing approach, which is more line drive/gap oriented. The other is that Clark has a very unusual split hand grip on the bat that is hard to even describe, let alone quantify as being able to produce consistent lift against high level pitching.

The last part of Clark's overall package, his defensive ability, is also solid. His speed obviously plays well in the outfield and he has a solid average throwing arm, if not a tick above average. He'll likely be able to play all three outfield positions as needed over the next decade unless he slows down significantly.

Add that all up and you have a player who increasingly looks like a solid first rounder come June.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived