Brewer Fanatic

Trent Grisham

adambr2
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love that Grisham is seemingly breaking out this season, but lets slow our roll a bit on making him the Brewers' starting LF. He's not even on the 40-man roster yet, and has had very limited playing time in AAA, hitting against pitchers who don't have much of a scouting report on him. Let's see him sustain this level of play for the next 6 weeks, and then maybe we look at a September call-up, and perhaps a chance to earn a role next spring.

Remember, last year Corey Ray was tearing the cover off the ball, on the way to the team's offensive minor league player of the year award. While injuries have played a major role his his season this year, he's regressed. Hopefully Grisham continues his strong showing, and keeps moving himself up the national prospect rankings.

The difference between Ray & Grisham is Massive.

Ray Ks like many big league brewers do now, while Grisham is exactly the type of hitter this offense needs, low K, high on base, with power. Rare combination, that’s why he can help now, plate approach matters.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love that Grisham is seemingly breaking out this season, but lets slow our roll a bit on making him the Brewers' starting LF. He's not even on the 40-man roster yet, and has had very limited playing time in AAA, hitting against pitchers who don't have much of a scouting report on him. Let's see him sustain this level of play for the next 6 weeks, and then maybe we look at a September call-up, and perhaps a chance to earn a role next spring.

Remember, last year Corey Ray was tearing the cover off the ball, on the way to the team's offensive minor league player of the year award. While injuries have played a major role his his season this year, he's regressed. Hopefully Grisham continues his strong showing, and keeps moving himself up the national prospect rankings.

Ray Ks like many big league brewers do now, while Grisham is exactly the type of hitter this offense needs, low K, high on base, with power. Rare combination, that’s why he can help now, plate approach matters.

I give you credit. When you get your mind on something, you go ALL IN, and no one is going to get you off of that idea, no matter how much logic is presented.

I totally get that there is a difference in approach between Ray and Grisham. But that really wasn't the point I was attempting to make. Obviously the Brewers felt that the season Corey Ray had in 2018 was impressive enough, warts and all, to honor him with their player of the year honor. Grisham is having an outstanding season, and is trending toward perhaps receiving that honor this year. While that is obviously great, it doesn't mean that calling him up, putting Braun on the bench and Gamel in San Antonio, it the prudent course of action at this time.

I give you credit. When you get your mind on something, you go ALL IN, and no one is going to get you off of that idea, no matter how much logic is presented.

I totally get that there is a difference in approach between Ray and Grisham. But that really wasn't the point I was attempting to make. Obviously the Brewers felt that the season Corey Ray had in 2018 was impressive enough, warts and all, to honor him with their player of the year honor. Grisham is having an outstanding season, and is trending toward perhaps receiving that honor this year. While that is obviously great, it doesn't mean that calling him up, putting Braun on the bench and Gamel in San Antonio, it the prudent course of action at this time.

Ok, I’d say your right if the crew’s offense from Cain/Braun/Gamel is good, and the team’s overall offense is doing its job, but up until yesterday, the offense has been poor for an extended period of time, and a much better bat than Gamel, that could spell Cain and Braun, for AB’s could at some point inject some excitement into this lineup. I hope the offense doesn’t need him, and we can wait till the end of August to call him up, but if not he’s an option, at least in my opinion.

It's not a knock on Gamel, who's not a bad player by any means, but Grisham was drafted to be a core player, and he's now showing that he belongs in that category. I might let his AAA success build over more time. I doubt we see him in 2019 barring injury, but he'll be on same track as Hiura was this year in 2020.

It's not a knock on Gamel, who's not a bad player by any means, but Grisham was drafted to be a core player, and he's now showing that he belongs in that category. I might let his AAA success build over more time. I doubt we see him in 2019 barring injury, but he'll be on same track as Hiura was this year in 2020.

It would certainly be nice to have a ready-made replacement for Ryan Braun at the team's disposal. I agree that this track likely makes the most sense ... let him get his feet wet in a timeshare with Braun in 2020 before taking over the role in 2021. Of course, Braun is anything but durable at this point in his career, so who knows if that track gets adjusted? I imagine that we'll see Tyrone Taylor (depending on his health) if an OF injury replacement is needed this year, simply because he's already on the 40-man, and is probably a little more versatile in the OF. That's not to say that Grisham wouldn't deserve it more given his results this year.

Taylor is pretty likely to be removed from the 40 man sometime during the season still or after the season, he hasn't built upon his previous year to deserve a 40 man spot. If an injury happened and they still had playoff aspirations I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Grisham. He would probably be the best option even though Stokes/Taylor are on the 40 man.

Taylor is pretty likely to be removed from the 40 man sometime during the season still or after the season, he hasn't built upon his previous year to deserve a 40 man spot. If an injury happened and they still had playoff aspirations I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Grisham. He would probably be the best option even though Stokes/Taylor are on the 40 man.

I think the injuries - and two option years - will get Taylor a bit of a mulligan. More likely over the offseason to see the Crew try to move Thames, especially if Moose walks.

I mean the discussion of calling him up to the big leagues has to start soon, doesn't it? He is putting up crazy numbers overall this year, and has only gotten better at AAA. If he could have a Hiura type impact on the lineup, you have to consider bringing him up even before September, don't you?

I'm generally skeptical of pushing players who don't have a particularly long track record of success. We've seen guys get locked in for a few months - or even a year - but then just fall apart.

But man, Grisham is just ripping the ball apart. He's got four more hits tonight - and hitting over .350 at AAA.

I doubt they do anything soon, but I don't doubt he's up in September if he's still producing.

Barring injury or major performance collapse from one of Braun or Cain, I don't think we see Grisham until September.

Let him play every day in AAA until their season is over then call him up for pinch hits/an occasional start when rosters expand.

Barring injury or major performance collapse from one of Braun or Cain, I don't think we see Grisham until September.

Let him play every day in AAA until their season is over then call him up for pinch hits/an occasional start when rosters expand.

That’s the prudent thing to do IF the big league offense wasn’t underperforming the entire year. Imo, he’s ready to rake big league pitching.

Then call up Spanenberg and Freitas too.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That’s the prudent thing to do IF the big league offense wasn’t underperforming the entire year. Imo, he’s ready to rake big league pitching.

Maybe he is ready, maybe he isn't.

Both Braun & Cain are highly paid veteran team leaders who have performed adequately throughout the season so I don't believe the organization would sit either down the stretch while fighting for a playoff spot (barring the aforementioned variables).

Maybe he is ready, maybe he isn't.

Both Braun & Cain are highly paid veteran team leaders who have performed adequately throughout the season so I don't believe the organization would sit either down the stretch while fighting for a playoff spot (barring the aforementioned variables).

I get what your saying, we’ll see what happens over the next 6 weeks if he’s not traded, fingers crossed. I believe this team can use another good hitter in the lineup, but maybe the offense can surprise me and get it going.

About a week ago I posted that his season .252 BA and .860 OPS were nice but not all that great. Since that post he has barely made an out. Yeah I am taking credit. :) I doubt they trade him this season, his half season surge is still too small a sample for other teams to give us good value and we don't know yet how far he will ascend as a prospect. I would be pissed if they flipped him for a rental.

I would be pretty shocked if they trade him...shocked. It would have to be for someone pretty controllable to do so. He is near MLB ready and has an obvious short-term place when Braun leaves or via major injury in the OF.

I don't see him getting a major shot this year though. I wasn't surprised when Hiura hit the ground running, but Grisham? That would be a lofty expectation to have. Before this year his career OPS was like .700. Suddenly in 300 ABs he is going to go from struggling to hit to mashing against the best of the best? Not buying it. I would be interested to know of such a dramatic career swing in the past where a player mashed MLB pitching instantly after having a similar MiLB track record.

I am and have always been a huge Grisham fan...but not even I am that bullish.

Grisham is putting up a .333 / .412 / .678 / 1.090 slash line in AAA while 4.3 years younger than the league average age. Granted age numbers are skewed in AAA from the many "lifers" who top out there, but the young man is having a very impressive season at 22 which is even 1.7 years young for AA.

Mod edit: This is better. Post like this

I'm generally skeptical of pushing players who don't have a particularly long track record of success. We've seen guys get locked in for a few months - or even a year - but then just fall apart.

But man, Grisham is just ripping the ball apart. He's got four more hits tonight - and hitting over .350 at AAA.

I doubt they do anything soon, but I don't doubt he's up in September if he's still producing.

Agreed. It's a little different counting on a guy like Hiura or...even Braun. An advanced College bat who's continued to thrive at almost every level vs a guy who's struggled(as virtually everyone does) to varying degrees but who now is thriving(which would actually be understating it). But now expecting him to come up and give us a Hiura like boost to the offense? And in place of who? I think we should just hope he continues to hit well in AAA and IF he continues to rake like he has been, then bring him up in Sept.

I know he's not really valued as a Major League CF, but if he has a great finish to the year at AAA, is it possible that he gets a September call up and, if he seems like he can hold his own, maybe trade Ben Gamel over the offseason and let Grisham be the 4th OF? He'd maybe have to play CF once every couple of weeks barring major injury to Cain, I feel like we could stomach that if his bat holds up, and he'd be a good platoon mate for Braun and potentially could get his feet wet to maybe be the everyday guy in 2021.

Really hoping this year is for real with Grisham. Brewers have struggled (Hiura aside) in recent years to develop impact bats. Suddenly plucking a high-OBP power hitter with speed out of thin air would be quite the magic trick.

I don't see the Brewers putting Grisham in the 4th outfielder role. Gamel can be that guy for another year as I also don't see Gamel getting much in trade. Think service time is always considered as well, getting his seven seasons instead of calling him up in September and then having to delay calling him up even longer in 2020. Could see Grisham being called up after a month or so next season or the guy that gets the majority of starts if there is an injury next year to one of the starters over Gamel.

I think it is pretty unlikely they would actually make him the 4th OFer. I bet they think of him more highly than that. He can easily just wait for an injury and get a real starting gig next year. I don't think being a 4th OFer does him any good.

I generally don't like the idea of making a younger player act as 4th OF and get inconsistent playing time. Generally an established vet handles that type of role better. I've heard that Gamel is by far the hardest working player in the clubhouse. It takes a high level of professionalism to keep yourself ready and prepared for inconsistent playing time...and young players are far less likely to be ready for that. My guess is Grisham waits around for an injury or gets traded for value, but hard to know how much a team will value a guy that's been mediocre for years but has been a monster for 2-3 months. I'd like to think scouting would give them the answer. Also we are getting to a point where this might just be who he is...hard for a subpar hitter to simply stay hot for over half a season like this...especially increasing levels. The AA/AAA filler types may get hot for a few weeks and hit sorta like Grisham currently, but then cool off and hit sub 200 for extended stretches.

Archived