Brewer Fanatic

Trent Grisham

adambr2

OTB, if you would re-read my post, I never said Ray and Broxton were similar or comparable players.

What I said was they both have a poor hit tool. That unfortunately is what they have in common. Massive Ks between em.

I watched a lot of Ray in spring training, when he was hitting well, before he cooled off.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there anyone who wouldn't have Grisham in their top 3 Brewer prospects right now? Hiura, Turang...I think I'd put him right there after those two. With a possibility of being #1 at midseason if Hiura graduates by then and Grisham keeps doing what he's doing.

What a turnaround.

Yes, he’s in my top 3:

1.) Hiura

2.) Rasmussen

3.) Grisham

4.) Turang

5.) Dubon

Corey Ray doesn't compare to Lankford at all. Lankford wasn't a strikeout guy in the minors, and was a productive hitter. He was in the majors by age 23.

The whole point of this exercise is comparing tools and style, and not stats. And I'd argue that style- and tool-wise, Corey Ray is a carbon copy of a young Ray Lankford. Of course, sometimes unfortunately substance and style don't always coincide.

Hitting is one of the 5 tools. Lankford had it as a minor leaguer, Ray doesn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The new way to make player comparisons. Find someone that is the same race and then they must bat/pitch from the same hand. Then you can say pretty much anyone and they are comparable! Welcome to lazy comparisons.

With Cain struggling and Braun getting closing and closer to retirement, boy o boy do I hope Grisham has really figured it out.

I'm big on high OBP guys, so I hope these 2019 OBP number translate to MLB.

Generally, OBP means a guy has a good plate approach, makes good contact, and has an understanding of the zone.

Thus, OBP typically translates. Lets cross our fingers.

With Cain struggling and Braun getting closing and closer to retirement, boy o boy do I hope Grisham has really figured it out.

I'm big on high OBP guys, so I hope these 2019 OBP number translate to MLB.

Generally, OBP means a guy has a good plate approach, makes good contact, and has an understanding of the zone.

Thus, OBP typically translates. Lets cross our fingers.

Grisham was always drawing tons of walks... so I think he did have an understanding of the zone. His approach was arguably the issue.

Is there anyone who wouldn't have Grisham in their top 3 Brewer prospects right now? Hiura, Turang...I think I'd put him right there after those two. With a possibility of being #1 at midseason if Hiura graduates by then and Grisham keeps doing what he's doing.

What a turnaround.

Yes, he’s in my top 3:

1.) Hiura

2.) Rasmussen

3.) Grisham

4.) Turang

5.) Dubon

Turang is not the 4th best prospect in this organization. I'll give you Keston, but he's a better prospect than anyone else. In fact I think there's a very good chance he becomes the best player currently in the organization.

Rasmussen has been a great story. No way he's passed up a 5 tool SS prospect who's producing. And I need to see more than a few months of Grisham's production before I'd give him the nod as well.

What a turnaround.

Yes, he’s in my top 3:

1.) Hiura

2.) Rasmussen

3.) Grisham

4.) Turang

5.) Dubon

Turang is not the 4th best prospect in this organization. I'll give you Keston, but he's a better prospect than anyone else. In fact I think there's a very good chance he becomes the best player currently in the organization.

Rasmussen has been a great story. No way he's passed up a 5 tool SS prospect who's producing. And I need to see more than a few months of Grisham's production before I'd give him the nod as well.

4 tool. Turang doesn’t have the power tool. Rasmussen pre-injury would have been a high 1st round draft pick. I’m not down grading him because he’s being protected, it’s just gonna take longer with him, but potential #1 he is down the road. Grisham is the real deal. The pedigree is there, and now the explosion. I watched him in ST and thought wow, this guy is really good, and it’s carried right on thru. With his advanced plate discipline, imo, he could help the big club NOW, with Cain not right and all.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Turang, and he certainly could be our best prospect with Hiura on the big club now, but, I think you could put the 3 in a hat........

• 3 weeks later...
2 more bombs tonight! AAA OPS sitting at .920 right now.

I wonder... time to flip Ben Gamel for some prospects, and select Grisham's contract, maybe?

No, it's time to either use Grisham as a headline prospect in a deal for impact pitching if you think this would be selling high (more would also be needed, too), or if Brewers' brass has confidence he's turned a corner and will continue to be deserving of a MLB callup he's a candidate for coming up during the 2020 season. He's not yet on the 40 man roster and they don't need to add him there until the offseason. Gamel is perfect as a 4th OF in his role, that's not what Grisham will be best at doing. IMO Grisham or Ray (if he can ever get back on track following his injuries and crappy 2019) fit in well as LF replacements after Braun is gone - plus both could play the other OF spots in a pinch.

Grisham's overall offensive profile really would give me pause trying to deal him at this point - he's always been young for his league and he's always gotten on base despite generally poor BA numbers while in A, A+, and AA up until this year. He has seemed to get selectively aggressive and do damage on hitters' pitches much more this season - if that ability is something he's developed by improving his pitch recognition and it isn't a 4 month long fluke, he's an everyday MLB corner OF that fits perfectly in the #5 or 6 hole of a lineup.

I sure hope they don't trade him. Having a left handed power hitter in the other outfield corner position to replace Braun to go along with Yelich would be great. Also don't think this year is the time to call him up. Will probably get at least a good couple months in AAA next year and then see where Braun as at and if Grisham replaces Braun at least against righties.

I sure hope they don't trade him. Having a left handed power hitter in the other outfield corner position to replace Braun to go along with Yelich would be great. Also don't think this year is the time to call him up. Will probably get at least a good couple months in AAA next year and then see where Braun as at and if Grisham replaces Braun at least against righties.

I hope they don’t trade him either, he’s exactly what this offense needs, high on base, power hitting, low K potential star in the making.

Disagree with leaving him in AAA. I option Gamel, Roster Grisham, and find ABs for him now. He can platoon with Braun, and give Cain some rest. This guy can help this offense now.

He'd get a decent return but now is not the time to trade him. As the 15th overall pick, there was always enormous potential. Whether it's maturity or finding something in his mechanics (as we've seen elsewhere around baseball), his ceiling is now very high. He checks all the boxes, power, speed, decent eye and pretty good contact for a power bat. Next year, he can be used primarily vs. RHP in LF and limit Braun to facing primarily lefties. With a 26th roster spot next year, Gamel would give them a deep outfield and he could give Cain more rest in CF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hope they don’t trade him either, he’s exactly what this offense needs, high on base, power hitting, low K potential star in the making.

Disagree with leaving him in AAA. I option Gamel, Roster Grisham, and find ABs for him now. He can platoon with Braun, and give Cain some rest. This guy can help this offense now.

Gamel has done nothing to not deserve being on the roster. He's been a pretty great 4th OF, which is exactly why they got him. He isn't going anywhere.

Gamel has done nothing to not deserve being on the roster. He's been a pretty great 4th OF, which is exactly why they got him. He isn't going anywhere.

As Clint said to Gene in unforgiven, deserves got nothin to do with it.

I’d probably wait till after the deadline to make sure he’s not traded first, then make the move, TO INJECT SOME NEW BLOOD INTO THIS OFFENSE.

In the future I could see wanting the fourth outfielder to be a right-handed bat, similar to how this year made a whole lot more sense to have Gamel over Santana. No need to rush Grisham up or do anything different with Gamel this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I love that Grisham is seemingly breaking out this season, but lets slow our roll a bit on making him the Brewers' starting LF. He's not even on the 40-man roster yet, and has had very limited playing time in AAA, hitting against pitchers who don't have much of a scouting report on him. Let's see him sustain this level of play for the next 6 weeks, and then maybe we look at a September call-up, and perhaps a chance to earn a role next spring.

Remember, last year Corey Ray was tearing the cover off the ball, on the way to the team's offensive minor league player of the year award. While injuries have played a major role his his season this year, he's regressed. Hopefully Grisham continues his strong showing, and keeps moving himself up the national prospect rankings.

I love that Grisham is seemingly breaking out this season, but lets slow our roll a bit on making him the Brewers' starting LF. He's not even on the 40-man roster yet, and has had very limited playing time in AAA, hitting against pitchers who don't have much of a scouting report on him. Let's see him sustain this level of play for the next 6 weeks, and then maybe we look at a September call-up, and perhaps a chance to earn a role next spring.

Remember, last year Corey Ray was tearing the cover off the ball, on the way to the team's offensive minor league player of the year award. While injuries have played a major role his his season this year, he's regressed. Hopefully Grisham continues his strong showing, and keeps moving himself up the national prospect rankings.

I agree on slowing our roll... But Ray’s production always seemed much more fluky than this does. He was striking out an astronomical amount and walking at a decent clip, while Grisham has been elite in that regard. Grisham’s OPS is .100 higher than Ray’s was last year and his wRC+ in AA was 151 to Ray’s 127.

I get that we want to temper expectations because of Ray, but to me they aren’t really that comparable outside of, somewhat suddenly, finding a power stroke and being lefty outfielders...

From Spring Training on, this guy’s been consistently elite all year. With his discerning eye, he could help our offense right now.

I like Grisham and think he has nice potential. I've been creeping/posting around here for some time now, been a Brewer fan for 35 years, have seen many similarly profiled guys fizzle out and think Grisham will be a player in the end. That said, I hope nobody around here is getting their facts from Brew Crew 92 because a month and a half into the season Grisham was hitting .219 with a .678 OPS, which is nobody on planet earth's definition of "elite." Definitely not at AA.

Archived