Brewer Fanatic

Trent Grisham

adambr2
If he were coming out of college, he might not be in AA yet. Takes a while for many HS kids to develop. Is he a better prospect than Ray?

Certainly an interesting question at this point. Grisham is a couple of years younger and is on pace for a better season than Ray's 2018. Both will have to be added to the 40 man after the season, would imagine one gets traded at the deadline.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he were coming out of college, he might not be in AA yet. Takes a while for many HS kids to develop. Is he a better prospect than Ray?

I mean looking at stats this year, you would think so...but I think Ray is still the better prospect thanks to his ceiling. If he keeps it up all year he would likely surpass Ray on prospect lists. I don't think a few good months does that though.

Which speaking of Ray he had a pretty big breakout year himself last year and has plopped back down to earth this year. So maybe it is too soon to really know how legit the resurgence is. Grisham is also repeating AA this year so that might be aiding into his breakout a touch.

I just remember Grisham's balloon get deflated by people really quick when he never hit for a very good average. He was suppose to be an uber contact oriented guy if I remember right. I also recall him being labeled a tweener where he wouldn't be good enough to play CF and not have the power for the corner spots. Obviously the power surge will do well for his MLB potential as it make him a more conventional corner outfielder. With his OBP skills he doesn't really need to have that great of an AVG.

Both will have to be added to the 40 man after the season, would imagine one gets traded at the deadline.

I would hope they keep both. One of them is a likely Ryan Braun replacement in 2021. Keep both and see who works out. I would expect Tyrone Taylor or Troy Stoke Jr. to be traded to make room on the 40 man. I think you could dump Taylor one way or the other and keep all of Stokes Jr, Ray, and Grisham.

With Grisham, Stokes, Taylor, Ray, maybe even Lutz...we have a lot of good options that can be ready for Braun's departure after next season. And the good news is we don't really need to rush any of these guys, if anything we may need to stall them at their level for half a year while they are MLB ready.

With Grisham, Stokes, Taylor, Ray, maybe even Lutz...we have a lot of good options that can be ready for Braun's departure after next season. And the good news is we don't really need to rush any of these guys, if anything we may need to stall them at their level for half a year while they are MLB ready.

Taylor and Stokes are just organizational filler types IMO. Wouldn't expect either to be more than a 4th OFer if they ever make it. Ray is trending that way if he doesn't start improving. Lutz...the tools are there, but it would be nice to start seeing a little more.

Of course, it can happen suddenly as we are (hopefully) seeing with Grisham.

I think we need to maybe pump the brakes a bit on this. While Grisham is coming on, all five guys currently have a number of questions marks around them. To me, we shouldn't be looking to replace a Brewer legend and lineup mainstay for 13+ years with questions marks. Question marks tend to be adequate placeholders, at best.

With that said, time will tell. Stay tuned.

Love seeing Grisham bust out a bit - hopefully his newfound increase in slugging can be carried forward consistently, because all his other peripheals make him an everyday MLB outfielder. He's always had great plate discipline, at times it appeared to be a fault by letting hittable pitches go too frequently. But his K:BB ratio is solid, and the increase in slugging appears to have helped increase his BA to a level that turns him from a ~0.700 OPS offensive player to a 0.800-0.900 OPS player at a level he's still a fraction young for in AA.

I think I'd like to keep him in AA the full season, much like they did with Ray last year. Ray got off to a terrible AAA start this year and has been battling injuries ever since - I still think they've got something in Ray, but it may take until 2020-2021 before he's able to contribute in Milwaukee. If Grisham has a great 2019 in AA and presumably gets off to a fast start in AAA next season, he could pass Ray up on the pecking order.

On the other hand, if Brewers' brass doesn't have the confidence Grisham's newfound pop is sustainable as he climbs the ladder, now would be a great time to try and maximize his value as a trade chip...

I think we need to maybe pump the brakes a bit on this. While Grisham is coming on, all five guys currently have a number of questions marks around them. To me, we shouldn't be looking to replace a Brewer legend and lineup mainstay for 13+ years with questions marks. Question marks tend to be adequate placeholders, at best.

Of course, none of those guys are ready for significant MLB playing time right now. Fortunately, we have 1.5 years for them to improve and prove themselves up to the task. They'll still all be relatively young, in that 23-26 age range. I don't think anyone is saying "oh Grisham's had a good couple weeks, Braun better watch his back". I specifically used the year and a half timeline as that's when Braun's contract expires(there is a 2021 option that i HIGHLY doubt will be exercised).

Perhaps one of the most impressive things about Grisham's recent run is that he's managed to hit for much more power and maintain his walk rate while striking out less. He has 26 walks to 16 strikeouts since May 1 and his K rate in that stretch is quickly approaching 10 percent. There is locked in and there is whatever is going on with Grisham right now.

Agreed. Far more likely that we trade or sign someone to take over for Braun than one of these guys does given all the information available ATM. Or perhaps Gamel simply slides into the lineup. Or Braun continues to hit well, but play a limited number of games and he re-signs with the Brewers. Lots of things up in the air(don't really think the last one will happen, but it does seem more likely now than it did last year).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

2 homers tonight so far!

Blows past Ray and Lutz to easily be our #1 outfield prospect. Hoping he’s promoted soon to AAA, to see if he can maintain his dominance up a level.

Yup. It still blows my mind that people thought Ray was a good prospect. Lutz is still a great prospect though, he's just too young yet, just like Grisham was. Ray, on the other hand, will be 25 in a few months.

When will Grisham go to AAA? After the break?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

2 homers tonight so far!

Blows past Ray and Lutz to easily be our #1 outfield prospect. Hoping he’s promoted soon to AAA, to see if he can maintain his dominance up a level.

Yup. It still blows my mind that people thought Ray was a good prospect. Lutz is still a great prospect though, he's just too young yet, just like Grisham was. Ray, on the other hand, will be 25 in a few months.

Why exactly does it blow your mind that people THOUGHT Corey Ray was a good prospect?

He was unquestionably a good prospect. He had/has all the talent needed to be a very good player. Athletic and toolsy OF'ers with a hit tool that's lagging behind are boom or bust type guys, but that's hardly rare and that's kinda what being a prospect is. Of Ray's class, the entire 1st round thus far has produced.....wait for it....-.6 WAR. So it's not like his class is killing it while he's turned into an old man.

What's more, Grisham being a good prospect has nothing to do with people "thinking" that Ray WAS a good prospect. This post makes very little sense to me and seems rather disjointed. One has very little to do with the other. Though if you want to compare them, lets wait until Grisham's entire season at AA is done. Ray put up a pretty big year last year at AA and while he was at the ripe old age of 23 when he did that(as opposed to the young 22 year old Grisham) it was still pretty impressive.

I have one dog in this, and that's the Brewers. So I love seeing a kid with tools like Grisham has putting them together. I see very little reason to dog Ray though while he's dealing with injuries in San Antonio.

2 homers tonight so far!

Huh? I didn't know it was a race...and Ray is still a good prospect. I could honestly care less about age considering when Ray and Grisham were drafted -grisham has actually been with the brewers longer.

Thrilled Trent is on a roll and appears to be deserving the accolades...he is having a similar stretch in AA to what Ray was up to at this time of year in 2018. Let's hope grisham keeps it up and ray gets healthy to salvage his second half of the AAA season.

Why exactly does it blow your mind that people THOUGHT Corey Ray was a good prospect?

He was unquestionably a good prospect. He had/has all the talent needed to be a very good player. Athletic and toolsy OF'ers with a hit tool that's lagging behind are boom or bust type guys, but that's hardly rare and that's kinda what being a prospect is. Of Ray's class, the entire 1st round thus far has produced.....wait for it....-.6 WAR. So it's not like his class is killing it while he's turned into an old man.

What's more, Grisham being a good prospect has nothing to do with people "thinking" that Ray WAS a good prospect. This post makes very little sense to me and seems rather disjointed. One has very little to do with the other. Though if you want to compare them, lets wait until Grisham's entire season at AA is done. Ray put up a pretty big year last year at AA and while he was at the ripe old age of 23 when he did that(as opposed to the young 22 year old Grisham) it was still pretty impressive.

I have one dog in this, and that's the Brewers. So I love seeing a kid with tools like Grisham has putting them together. I see very little reason to dog Ray though while he's dealing with injuries in San Antonio.

Ray hit 239 last year with a whopping 176 strikeouts. Not really impressive at all. He's been grossly overrated since draft day, or even before. He didn't improve in college either.

I didn't intend to aimlessly dog him, I was just agreeing with another posters statement, and adding to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The distinct difference for me is Grisham is adding to his slugging while cutting his K Rate by a couple percentage points so far this year. So it is not like he is selling out for power. It also isn't just the result of a BABIP spike, neither was Ray's FWIW. Will be fun to monitor and would be big for the organization.

Ray hit 239 last year with a whopping 176 strikeouts. Not really impressive at all. He's been grossly overrated since draft day, or even before. He didn't improve in college either.

I didn't intend to aimlessly dog him, I was just agreeing with another posters statement, and adding to it.

Ok, so it was random and even more pointless. And you weren't agreeing with another posters statement. That statement said Grisham was now our best OF prospect over Ray AND Lutz(more on him in a second). You then were somehow shocked that Ray was ever considered a good prospect. Not that you agreed Grisham had surpassed him, merely that he was ever highly regarded.

But we're going to use BA and K's to rank how good a prospect is. Yet Tristen Lutz is still a "great" prospect.

What did he do last year in A ball? 139 K's, .245 BA. So did I just pretty much sum up Tristen Lutz and his potential as a "prospect?"

Also, just curious who all these guys are or were who were so much better than Ray who was grossly overrated at the time of the draft? Should we have taken Shane Bieber with the 5th pick overall, pretty much the only guy who's produced at the big league level from that class in the first 5 or 6 rounds?

Ok, back to the topic-TRENT GRISHAM.

Huh? I didn't know it was a race...and Ray is still a good prospect. I could honestly care less about age considering when Ray and Grisham were drafted -grisham has actually been with the brewers longer.

Thrilled Trent is on a roll and appears to be deserving the accolades...he is having a similar stretch in AA to what Ray was up to at this time of year in 2018. Let's hope grisham keeps it up and ray gets healthy to salvage his second half of the AAA season.

Same here. I don't really care who it is. It's nearly impossible for even the best evaluators to guess how these guys are going to turn out. Just pick and try to develop as many guys with high ceilings as you can and hope every once in a while, someone hits that ceiling.

Athletic toolsy outfielders like Ray that can’t hit are a dime a dozen. Overrated would be putting it mildly.

His bat compares favorably with Keon Broxton. Both have holes IN their bats that keep them from making contact. At least Keon has an all world glove and arm, While Ray does not.

Ok, so it was random and even more pointless. And you weren't agreeing with another posters statement. That statement said Grisham was now our best OF prospect over Ray AND Lutz(more on him in a second). You then were somehow shocked that Ray was ever considered a good prospect. Not that you agreed Grisham had surpassed him, merely that he was ever highly regarded.

But we're going to use BA and K's to rank how good a prospect is. Yet Tristen Lutz is still a "great" prospect.

What did he do last year in A ball? 139 K's, .245 BA. So did I just pretty much sum up Tristen Lutz and his potential as a "prospect?"

Ok, back to the topic-TRENT GRISHAM.

Interesting that you completely ignore that Lutz was a 19 year old in A ball, yet he was still better than Ray was when he was at the same level after playing 3 years of college baseball.

What's amazing about Grisham, is that to properly compare him to Ray at the same age, Grisham would need to play in AA again next year. That won't be happening.

Grisham has 8 homes since May 24th. What an amazing run. As others have mentioned, he also is doing it with his usual ultra patient approach.

Grisham's approach has changed considerably, and that's why he's having success. He's moved on from a passive, wait for the perfect pitch approach that resulted in a bunch of walks, strikeouts, and wasted opportunities. He's now attacking earlier in the count as soon as he sees a pitch he can hit. He's still drawing walks primarily because he's not being pitched to as often.

Dude's always hit the ball super hard. Now he's just connected that he doesn't need to see a perfect pitch in order to mash.

Whether this is a long-term change remains to be seen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Trent is 1st in Southern League in OPS. 2nd place is 35 points behind him
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's amazing about Grisham, is that to properly compare him to Ray at the same age, Grisham would need to play in AA again next year. That won't be happening.

People harp on age way too much. 24 for one player does not equal 24 for another.

MiLB Ball>College Ball

Why do you think Latin players make it to the MLB level so fast? They get to sign contracts at 16 and have world class coaches and facilities.

The average college guy is probably getting a stint at A-Ball or A+ if aggressive. Mind you half that season is gone before even signing. Arcia was in AAA when his class was graduating college, Wily Peralta was getting a taste of AA, Freddy Peralta was dominating AA, and Hernan Perez already had an MLB at-bat. The listed players aren't even that good...they weren't mega talents. These guys are in better baseball experiences before 18 than most college players have. Same goes for the 18 year olds skipping college, better baseball level in the MiLB.

23 year old Corey Ray is probably pretty comparable to 22 year old Trent Grisham.

People harp on age way too much. 24 for one player does not equal 24 for another.

Why do you think Latin players make it to the MLB level so fast? They get to sign contracts at 16 and have world class coaches and facilities.

Or another point based on what you're saying. Nelson Cruz didn't learn plate discipline and pitch recognition until his mid-20s and had most MLB teams passing on him. The growth curve for every player is different. I remember really liking Haniger in the minors (based on stats and adjustments, not scouting reports) and viewed him as a legit prospect, while I thought of Parra as a weak hitting defensive OF. In the end, the trade turned out good, especially considering we landed Davies. Haniger took a lot of time to develop. There's this myth out there that guys need to be in the majors by 22-23.

Or another point based on what you're saying. Nelson Cruz didn't learn plate discipline and pitch recognition until his mid-20s and had most MLB teams passing on him. The growth curve for every player is different. I remember really liking Haniger in the minors (based on stats and adjustments, not scouting reports) and viewed him as a legit prospect, while I thought of Parra as a weak hitting defensive OF. In the end, the trade turned out good, especially considering we landed Davies. Haniger took a lot of time to develop. There's this myth out there that guys need to be in the majors by 22-23.

Oh sure, I totally agree. People forget Corey Ray was a pretty raw college bat...not the type to fly through the system. Of course he may never be good...but sometimes guys get compared to their fellow draftmates or people their age way too much.

While at the same time people can really lose track of high school draft picks too because they are at the bottom of the totem pole and really have it hard. You have college bats who have more elite baseball experience than you and also more physically mature...and also the Latin players who have more experience when they come stateside and/or are 18/19.

I always liked Trent Clark and his ability to take walks at a pretty incredible clip. Anyone who has seen him also knows that he is a pretty buff dude and has always had so power to give. Now I recall his defense being a little bit to be desired, but I also haven't watched him play in person for quite a few years and it is hard to gauge OF defense on a video feed.

Archived