Brewer Fanatic

Dominic Smith as 1B of the future?

A trade was posted in that trade values site that has 11 like and 1 dislike.

Brewers get - Lowrie, Smith, 2 million

Mets get - Gray

Thoughts? I personally like this move, and I could see how you could sell this on the Mets side. Pairing the bad contract with Smith to get rid of most of the salary, and get a recent high draft pick with very high ceiling in return.

I would. Don't want to keep emptying the farm, but you are basically trading a prospect that will start next year in rookie ball to a prospect that is ready for make it or not MLB time.

Two more years of pre-arby for Smith is very nice. And if Lowie net cost is $8M that isn't that bad for one year.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A trade was posted in that trade values site that has 11 like and 1 dislike.

Brewers get - Lowrie, Smith, 2 million

Mets get - Gray

Thoughts? I personally like this move, and I could see how you could sell this on the Mets side. Pairing the bad contract with Smith to get rid of most of the salary, and get a recent high draft pick with very high ceiling in return.

I like it.

NDzKr76.png

It gives the Brewers options at 1B (Smith L/Braun R), 2B (Hiura R/Urias R/Lowrie S), SS (Urias R/Arcia R), and 3B (Lowrie S/Urias R) and it only adds ~$7.5M to the payroll so they still have a bunch of flexibility to add pitching and another nice bat pretty much anywhere on the field if the right opportunity comes up.

That trade value calculator is nonsense, but that does sound like a fair trade to me.

Nonsense is pretty harsh. Is there a better valuation system out there? Is it even possible to do better? It's not perfect. It was never meant to be perfect. I think they are doing the best they can with it and doing a pretty good job. It can't be easy trying to put a cash value on every asset in an organization's system, with so many different factors at play (contract, negative value, upside, non-tangible value as franchise face, just to name a few). I respect that someone is attempting to do that, because it at least gives us a starting point.

That trade value calculator is nonsense, but that does sound like a fair trade to me.

I could see the Mets wanting a bit more. This isn't THAT much salary relief. Maybe they need one more lesser prospect, or maybe slightly less salary relief. I like this trade a lot though.

Yeah, I would do the trade even if the Mets didn't kick in $2M. But I don't know the Brewers budget either though.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mets are shopping a package of Jed Lowrie and Dom Smith in trade talks.

The Mets owe Lowrie $10 million for the 2020 season and would like to unload that commitment if possible. Smith is out of options and doesn't have a clear path to a roster slot. The soon-to-be 36-year-old Lowrie missed all but nine games of the 2019 season. His trade value is likely under water given his health status and expensive contract. Packaging him with Smith could entice another team to take Lowrie's contract and send something of value to the Mets. The Athletics are rumored to have interest in a reunion with Lowrie, who played five seasons with the A's. Lowrie had a career year in 2018 when he delivered a .267 batting average with 23 home runs, 99 RBI and 78 runs scored.

SOURCE: New York Post

Jan 2, 2020, 9:56 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think Smith is a perfect long term answer here. kind of reminds me of having overbay over there. not too much power but will hit for average and is good enough on defense. I also won't complain about using the payroll that they cut to "buy" a prospect.

This made more sense before we signed Smoak. I understand Smith can play a very mediocre at best corner outfield, but we're already going to have one of Braun, Garcia, Smoak sitting everyday. I wouldn't mind the idea of trading for only Lowrie and a lot of salary relief, but I'm not sure how great I feel about him as our everyday 3b.

I would probably be in on this type of deal as well, but now I wonder what the Brewers would do with Smith or Smoak for this year if they ended up with both. Neither is flexible enough to make the most of the 26th roster spot, though I suppose you can live with it for one year. I wonder if they'd target someone like Matz or Lugo instead of Smith. I don't know! I still think the Mets are an intriguing trade partner, depending on what they're asking for return.

I would probably be in on this type of deal as well, but now I wonder what the Brewers would do with Smith or Smoak for this year if they ended up with both. Neither is flexible enough to make the most of the 26th roster spot, though I suppose you can live with it for one year. I wonder if they'd target someone like Matz or Lugo instead of Smith. I don't know! I still think the Mets are an intriguing trade partner, depending on what they're asking for return.

I think the most pressing need for Stearns is to figure out reasonable long term answers in the corner IF positions, going into opening day 2021. This takes care of 1/2 of that. Smoak was always just a short term, relatively cheap, stopgap. I think they best thing to do is to figure it out for this year, but if you do this, Smith needs to play consistently

I am all in for a dom smith / jed Lowrie deal. I believe that smith will be a solid addition moving forward and Lowrie fills 3b with others for the year. Smith can be a good avg, high obp, 25homer run producer for years to come. Lowrie is a switch hitter who was highly sought after last offseason, and is a better option then other 3b options available with more overall upside IF healthy. Lowrie if healthy could provide .270 ba, 20hr, and solid defense at third. If the crew is out of contention they could flip Lowrie at the deadline and maintain smith going forward. My guess the return would have to be trey susac and lower prospect flyer. Any trade by the Mets will not happen before Donaldson signs.

Smith still has 2 options remaining correct? If we do aquire him, that’s important to note. It’d be interesting to see what kind of package it’d take to get Smith/Lowrie. Injuries, underperformance, team control, etc would make the Mets return hard to navigate.especially knowing smith is blocked by the Polar Bear.

Smith still has 2 options remaining correct? If we do aquire him, that’s important to note. It’d be interesting to see what kind of package it’d take to get Smith/Lowrie. Injuries, underperformance, team control, etc would make the Mets return hard to navigate.especially knowing smith is blocked by the Polar Bear.

I'm pretty sure Smith has no options remaining, which is why he is likely to be dealt this offseason.

Archived