Brewer Fanatic

Dominic Smith as 1B of the future?

Boy would this be a great trade if they can make it happen. Smith could be the answer at 1B while giving us another younger/controlled player.

I wouldn’t mind doing this either. You take on a contract of $10 million for only one season and hopefully get your first baseman of the future locked up for 5 years? With 2 years being cheap where you can put your finances toward other holes? Sign me up!

You get a core of Urias, Hiura, and Smith for a long time and cheap during this Yelich window to go out and get some good starting pitching

If the Brewers went this route right now, they would add $10.5 million to the payroll for those 2. They would then have roughly $45 million (if they go up to last years’ payroll) to make big strides in upgrading the rotation. Bring in Ryu and Keuchel for $30 million combined or so and pair them with Woodruff and we would be looking at an above average rotation. The rest of the money can be put toward a bullpen arm, a cheap backup catcher, and a bench bat or two to round out the roster. The lineup would see massive turnover and would be a real wildcard with how productive they will be with so many new young faces, but the solid rotation will keep them in most games even if the offense struggles.

Cain ®

Lowrie (S)

Yelich (L)

Hiura ®

Smith (L)

Braun ®

Urias ®

Pina ®

P

Hopefully a rebound from Cain, a big upgrade at third in Lowrie to start the season compared to what we got from Shaw, Yelich, Hiura at second for all season, Smith who could be similar to Thames’ production, Braun, Urias who is at least going to do what Arcia did, and then a downgrade at C. I could see this offense being similar to last years while being much much cheaper. If someone like Urias blossoms or Smith plays like how he did last season but for a full season, this offense would be absolutely fine.

And on a side note, $23 million would be coming off just between Braun and Lowrie alone for the 2020 offseason. Someone like Knebel would most likely be traded at that point as well and Hader if he isn’t moved this offseason. Stearns would have plenty to play with once again.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From CBS Sports yesterday, MLB hot stove: 10 teams that could take advantage of Mets' desire to unload salary and trade for Dominic Smith. The Brewers make much more sense to me than most of the other teams on that list, and they are definitely overstating the Brewers “tight budget” this offseason. Now that the Brewers have cleared a bunch of payroll space this is the perfect example of how payroll flexibility can be used to their advantage in adding talent.

It seems like the acquisition cost of Dominic Smith paired with Jed Lowrie should be very low. Maybe something along the lines of Tyrone Taylor or C.J. Hinojosa, and an lower level org arm in return?

I think it will be a lower level guy. They need to hold on to Taylor. Right now he's their 5th outfielder and there's a pretty big gap to their 6th.

Mike Axisa (who wrote this and another Brewers article yesterday) and Nightengale seem to be the two guys that have run with this 'tight budget' nonsense....

Apparently they are getting their info from Brewer apologist and mouthpiece Tom Haudricourt who's crying poor in an article today.

I'd feel a lot better about a Lowrie/Smith package if I had just a bit more confidence in Lowrie's health. I'd like to at least get something out of him in case Smith doesn't pan out. Look at Lowrie's injury list from last year...knee, hamstring, calf and probably some more stuff in there (at one time the Mets just referred to his injury as "left side" because there were so many things wrong with his left leg). And I believe he was having problems with his calf in the right leg. Sure seemed like his legs just totally broke down last year.

Not saying I'd be opposed to this swap, but there is just about as much to not like about it as there is to like about it IMO...which probably means a Lowrie/Smith for a role player type prospect is probably a pretty fair deal. What's the thought about the return to the Mets? Maybe someone like Braden Webb?

Also, any thoughts on Jeurys Familia instead of Lowrie? Familia is a much bigger financial commitment (2 years, 22 million....Mets have to pick up the 1 million trade bonus), and he was terrible in 2019...but from 2015-2018 he was a 2.68 ERA, 2.69 FIP, 1.17 WHIP, 9.9 K/9 over 250+ innings pitched. Some conflicting information on his velocity, one source has it dropping from 96.2 to 96.0 and another has it going from 97.0 to 95.7. Familia has been pretty decent with ground ball rates and could be a good fit in Miller Park. Other than a possible 97.0 to 95.7 velocity drop, I like the look of the overall resume even considering the bad year last year. If the Mets would kick in 4 million and bring the price down to 2 years, 18 million, then I'd rather have Familia instead of Lowrie.

I'd take Lowrie/Smith and really just take the "house money" idea on Lowrie.

You'd essentially be trading Shaw/Thames for Lowrie/Smith in terms of 2020 salary and production. Both packages would cost roughly $11-12 million. Shaw and Lowrie probably would have similar expectations for different reasons. I wouldn't be shocked if Smith is Thames-ish in his production for 2020 alone.

Except you get Smith's upside and 4 more years of control after this one.

I'd be all for this move, obviously depending on the price or if what else we had to kick in on it. Seems to make perfect sense for MKE needing to fill both spots. Smith with years of control for cheap also lines up perfectly with what MKE targets and needs.

Mike Axisa (who wrote this and another Brewers article yesterday) and Nightengale seem to be the two guys that have run with this 'tight budget' nonsense....

Apparently they are getting their info from Brewer apologist and mouthpiece Tom Haudricourt who's crying poor in an article today.

If true, that's odd considering he said the exact opposite in a radio interview just last night.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jed Lowrie is due $10M in 2020. The Mets packaged him with Dominic Smith, get a grade-C prospect in return, and call it a day. They save themselves a big chunk of change. Brewers get a potential starting 1B, and a utility IF (if healthy).

It's essentially buying five years of Smith - and whatever you can get for Lowrie - for $10M.

Lowrie is a switch hitter, and could essentially play super sub around the infield (that's assuming you get someone else to play 3B). At 35, and coming off an injury, I wouldn't count on him for a lot more than that. But if he is healthy, he's a valuable asset. However, that's a big if.

I'd assume if that worked out that we'd pencil in Lowrie as the everyday 3B. But while knowing of the injury risk you have Arcia there as the super sub. He'd come in to play SS and the new Padres SS would slide to 3B. But, sure yea I'd be for getting someone else too. I'm just saying being the Brewers that I wouldn't bank on it, maybe grab minor league type guy as insurance. I can't think of someone right now, but think of a Will Middlebrooks type signing of a few years ago even though he never amounted to anything again.

I'd guess a Todd Frazier type would be too expensive. But he would fit what your'e getting at in moving Lowrie to super sub.

I'd assume if that worked out that we'd pencil in Lowrie as the everyday 3B. But while knowing of the injury risk you have Arcia there as the super sub. He'd come in to play SS and the new Padres SS would slide to 3B. But, sure yea I'd be for getting someone else too. I'm just saying being the Brewers that I wouldn't bank on it, maybe grab minor league type guy as insurance. I can't think of someone right now, but think of a Will Middlebrooks type signing of a few years ago even though he never amounted to anything again.

I'd guess a Todd Frazier type would be too expensive. But he would fit what your'e getting at in moving Lowrie to super sub.

We had that guy. Last year. One Mr. Cory Spangenberg.

Dominic Smith has shown very limited power potential at all levels so far.

He will quickly fall into a replacement level 1B type of player unless he absolutely rakes otherwise.

Not a fan.

He will quickly fall into a replacement level 1B type of player unless he absolutely rakes otherwise.

Not a fan.

MLB SLG:

2017- .395

2018- .420

2019- .525

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not a fan.

MLB SLG:

2017- .395

2018- .420

2019- .525

Here were his home/road splits last year...

Home (87 PA): .241 BA / .310 OBP / .430 SLG / .741 OPS

Road (110 PA): .316 BA / .391 OBP / .602 SLG / .993 OPS

I predict he would do very well as a hitter at Miller/AmFam Park.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Jed Lowrie is due $10M in 2020. The Mets packaged him with Dominic Smith, get a grade-C prospect in return, and call it a day. They save themselves a big chunk of change. Brewers get a potential starting 1B, and a utility IF (if healthy).

It's essentially buying five years of Smith - and whatever you can get for Lowrie - for $10M.

Lowrie is a switch hitter, and could essentially play super sub around the infield (that's assuming you get someone else to play 3B). At 35, and coming off an injury, I wouldn't count on him for a lot more than that. But if he is healthy, he's a valuable asset. However, that's a big if.

I like it a lot. But it's not my money. I liked Lowrie a lot last year too and he could still have value.

Duh, yea there you go. Someone like Spangenberg. All I could think of was Saladino but wanted someone better, forgot about Spangenberg

I really hope we bring Spongebob back in that utility role. He’s really the only arby guy I’m disappointed we non-tendered. Especially for only ~1.5 million.

So I was driving and listening to MLB on XM .They went through shopping lists for each team prior to the winter meeting they got to Milwaukee and all they could talk about was a possible fire sale and that they may slash payroll in half.where the hell is this coming from? Is this all as a result of Nightgails column? The point of posting this here was smith name was brought up but they doubted Milwaukee would take a bad contact back.

So I was driving and listening to MLB on XM .They went through shopping lists for each team prior to the winter meeting they got to Milwaukee and all they could talk about was a possible fire sale and that they may slash payroll in half.where the hell is this coming from? Is this all as a result of Nightgails column? The point of posting this here was smith name was brought up but they doubted Milwaukee would take a bad contact back.

Once one of those idiot talking heads says something like that, it can spread like wildfire ... especially when no one from the organization comes out to dispute it. And guaranteed that none of that scuttle actually came from Stearns himself. It is 100% speculation, and bad speculation at that. Could it happen? Yeah, I suppose. But it is likely coming from big market idiots who are incredulous that a little market like the Brewers dare compete with their big wallet teams.

lol, just based on the time you're posting and given how dramatic it is you were probably listening to casey stern. I mean this in the most respectful way possible... the guy is a blowhard moron.

Once one of those idiot talking heads says something like that, it can spread like wildfire ... especially when no one from the organization comes out to dispute it. And guaranteed that none of that scuttle actually came from Stearns himself. It is 100% speculation, and bad speculation at that. Could it happen? Yeah, I suppose. But it is likely coming from big market idiots who are incredulous that a little market like the Brewers dare compete with their big wallet teams.

Is there any other sport where the talking heads really have more of an inflated sense of importance as baseball writers? I don't get the same feeling of self-importance from Adam Schefter, Ian Rapoport, Michael Garofalo, Chris Mortensen or even the local Wisconsin guys like Silverstein or McGinn (save Jason Wilde) that cover the NFL.

lol, just based on the time you're posting and given how dramatic it is you were probably listening to casey stern. I mean this in the most respectful way possible... the guy is a blowhard moron.

I honestly. Did not catch who it was ,as I left the vechicle shortly thereafter

I know the hot stove stuff ends up being 90 precent crap ,just kind of got my fire up hearing the fire sale thing .

That's exactly what to do, if you can get Smith here for 5 years by taking Lowie's contract for one year. It potentially solves 2 problems for under $11million!

Why would the Mets trade a top prospect for us to take a one-year contract that is not even an overpay if Lowrie was a free agent again? Familia maybe, but Lowrie? Seems like wishful thinking.

I would take Lowrie's contract for nothing and bet on the upside.

So I take it I'm the only one here that would rather have Familia as part of this deal instead of Lowrie? I really like taking a 2 year gamble on Familia the more I look at it. Bad year last year but good relievers sometimes just have bad years. Will only be entering his age 30 season. Numbers from 2015-2018 may not be elite but are far better than just being good. Lifetime lefties have slashed .264/.352/.383/.735 off of him and righties have slashed .197/.282/.271/.552. Not a product of the Mets home park, career numbers on the road are a 2.62 ERA and .215/.303/.302/.605. Has allowed 23 home runs in 412 2/3 MLB innings pitched...even with the bad year this year he only gave up 7 home runs in 60 innings pitched.

I'm looking at the Brewers depth chart now, and assuming Knebel is not ready at the start of the season, let's figure out who the top 7th/8th inning candidates are? I'll take an everyday, starting bat over a relief pitcher 95+% of the time, I just question if Lowrie even has an "everyday" tag after the season he just went through. And really, back end of bullpen guys is a pretty significant need for this team because after Hader (and before Knebel gets back) there isn't much of any track record there.

If the Mets would throw 4 million into this (along with the 1 million trade bonus which I'm assuming they'd be willing to pick up without debate), then for me it's an easy decision to take Familia instead of Lowrie in this deal.

Archived