Brewer Fanatic

Bucks off-season thread (non-draft)

coolhandluke121
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not an obsession. It's no different than wanting Hader to develop more pitches in his arsenal or wanting Peralta to improve his command. We're all fans and we want our team's players to do what it takes to improve. If someone said Hader should throw more than just fastballs and everyone started arguing with him, you're damn right that person would argue back. That doesn't make it an obsession; it's just what happens when the majority is wrong and tries to drown out a minority opinion. Calling it an obsession is a cheap tactic used to try to silence a minority opinion who's not arguing about it any more than the other side. You're just as obsessed with responding/reacting to it.

I feel kind of sorry for some of you because you've obviously never been in great shape in your lives if you can't see the difference. I'm not talking great weekend warrior shape or high school athletics; I'm talking the type of fitness, conditioning, and physique that Khris is going to need to actually deserve his status as the #2 guy on a contender, emulate guys like Reggie Miller and Richard Hamilton, and not have teams like Toronto play small-ball and run circles around him.

It's not an obsession. It's no different than wanting Hader to develop more pitches in his arsenal or wanting Peralta to improve his command. We're all fans and we want our team's players to do what it takes to improve. If someone said Hader should throw more than just fastballs and everyone started arguing with him, you're damn right that person would argue back. That doesn't make it an obsession; it's just what happens when the majority is wrong and tries to drown out a minority opinion. Calling it an obsession is a cheap tactic used to try to silence a minority opinion who's not arguing about it any more than the other side. You're just as obsessed with responding/reacting to it.

I feel kind of sorry for some of you because you've obviously never been in great shape in your lives if you can't see the difference. I'm not talking great weekend warrior shape or high school athletics; I'm talking the type of fitness, conditioning, and physique that Khris is going to need to actually deserve his status as the #2 guy on a contender, emulate guys like Reggie Miller and Richard Hamilton, and not have teams like Toronto play small-ball and run circles around him.

That, I agree with!

I feel kind of sorry for some of you because you've obviously never been in great shape in your lives if you can't see the difference..

Last warning. Any more crap like this regardless of your side, and you'll no longer be welcome here. Too many threads going off the rails with personal attacks and childish behavior.

Right, I've heard enough here. You have a total, complete misunderstanding of basic physical fitness and this is you lashing out. You've said you were 135 pounds in college and skinny. So not sure what high-end athletics you participated in or how you came to find that you were 5 pct body fat. I've asked before, I'm assuming it's just one of those useless, wholly inaccurate skin fold tests that anyone and everyone can do and that vary wildly if you don't know what you're doing. Actually, they can vary wildly even if you do know what you're doing.

What further proves you lack virtually ANY understanding about actual health and fitness is that you think you can ascertain someone's physical endurance by simply looking at them. The proof of this other than you literally saying it- is that you posted pictures of bodybuilders. Now I'm not vain enough to talk about myself and my own athletic career because I find it to be a bit vain and childish. So I'll use another athlete. Ben Askren, a well-known athlete from Wisconsin. An Olympic athlete, one of the best Wrestlers in college history. Not physically impressive. Not NEARLY as defined as nearly any other wrestler at his weight class in High School...in College, the Olympics, not in the UFC. He won at every level by being in better shape than everyone else.....and a unique approach to things, but fundamentally, by having better endurance. You could have used your elite eyesight and I guarantee you wouldn't have believed he was in better shape than Johnny Hendricks or Jake Herbert any other athlete he competed against. But how could this be? Ben's arms between his shoulder and bicep weren't defined. Yet I could say with a pretty high degree of certainty Ben could run any NBA player off the court. For that matter, he could probably talk them off the court as well.

You don't seem to understand the disconnect between actual physical fitness...and a beach body. It's actually irresponsible how you're presenting yourself as an authority on this and you use pictures of bodybuilders from.. men's health I presume and you're operating under this pretense that definition equals actual physical endurance. Yeah, it just doesn't buddy. There's no clearer way to say it. There's absolutely nothing that backs that up. We used to laugh at guys who'd come in, spend no time on their legs, core, back and just do curls. You can sit there, smoke 2 packs a day and look like you're in great shape. That you've repeatedly said you can actually look at someone and SEE if they're physically in shape shows that you fundamentally do not understand how the body works but there's no way your ego would allow you to stop this argument now.

But while you'd like to impune the credibility of everyone who doesn't just blindly listen to what you have to say and agree with you, please...tell us who you are. Tell us of your great athletic achievements. I'm trying to glean what sport it's even possible for you to have competed at the level you're suggesting. You've said you were at if you were 135 pounds and I believe you said you were shorter(not short, but I thought it was 5-something). I'm trying to connect the dots here and figure out what sport that could have been that would have given you this absolute level of authority.

And normally, I'd never ask something like this, but you've held yourself up multiple times now as this paradigm of elite physical fitness...as well as I guess just elite eyesight and whatever else. So 135, college athlete, high level. You were either a runner(track and field, Cross Country) or you were a Wrestler(a sport you can be a little guy and compete). I literally can't come up with one other one where YOU would have the expertise or be in a position to feel sorry for all those beneath you. So you feel sorry for everyone who is below you, then you shouldn't have any problem telling us what you did from atop your perch.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Right, I've heard enough here. You have a total, complete misunderstanding of basic physical fitness and this is you lashing out. You've said you were 135 pounds in college and skinny. So not sure what high-end athletics you participated in or how you came to find that you were 5 pct body fat. I've asked before, I'm assuming it's just one of those useless, wholly inaccurate skin fold tests that anyone and everyone can do and that vary wildly if you don't know what you're doing. Actually, they can vary wildly even if you do know what you're doing.

What further proves you lack virtually ANY understanding about actual health and fitness is that you think you can ascertain someone's physical endurance by simply looking at them. The proof of this other than you literally saying it- is that you posted pictures of bodybuilders. Now I'm not vain enough to talk about myself and my own athletic career because I find it to be a bit vain and childish. So I'll use another athlete. Ben Askren, a well-known athlete from Wisconsin. An Olympic athlete, one of the best Wrestlers in college history. Not physically impressive. Not NEARLY as defined as nearly any other wrestler at his weight class in High School...in College, the Olympics, not in the UFC. He won at every level by being in better shape than everyone else.....and a unique approach to things, but fundamentally, by having better endurance. You could have used your elite eyesight and I guarantee you wouldn't have believed he was in better shape than Johnny Hendricks or Jake Herbert any other athlete he competed against. But how could this be? Ben's arms between his shoulder and bicep weren't defined. Yet I could say with a pretty high degree of certainty Ben could run any NBA player off the court. For that matter, he could probably talk them off the court as well.

You don't seem to understand the disconnect between actual physical fitness...and a beach body. It's actually irresponsible how you're presenting yourself as an authority on this and you use pictures of bodybuilders from.. men's health I presume and you're operating under this pretense that definition equals actual physical endurance. Yeah, it just doesn't buddy. There's no clearer way to say it. There's absolutely nothing that backs that up. We used to laugh at guys who'd come in, spend no time on their legs, core, back and just do curls. You can sit there, smoke 2 packs a day and look like you're in great shape. That you've repeatedly said you can actually look at someone and SEE if they're physically in shape shows that you fundamentally do not understand how the body works but there's no way your ego would allow you to stop this argument now.

But while you'd like to impune the credibility of everyone who doesn't just blindly listen to what you have to say and agree with you, please...tell us who you are. Tell us of your great athletic achievements. I'm trying to glean what sport it's even possible for you to have competed at the level you're suggesting. You've said you were at if you were 135 pounds and I believe you said you were shorter(not short, but I thought it was 5-something). I'm trying to connect the dots here and figure out what sport that could have been that would have given you this absolute level of authority.

And normally, I'd never ask something like this, but you've held yourself up multiple times now as this paradigm of elite physical fitness...as well as I guess just elite eyesight and whatever else. So 135, college athlete, high level. You were either a runner(track and field, Cross Country) or you were a Wrestler(a sport you can be a little guy and compete). I literally can't come up with one other one where YOU would have the expertise or be in a position to feel sorry for all those beneath you. So you feel sorry for everyone who is below you, then you shouldn't have any problem telling us what you did from atop your perch.

I didn't really think I'd hear Ben Askren's name on a Bucks forum. Though I never thought this would become about players body fat beyond the obvious Big Baby Davis discussions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
OK everyone...time to move on.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

they have a full roster, I guess if you want to release bender to sign johnson you can never have enough shooters. one is cold, bring in a new one. at 38, who knows what he has left in the tank though. i'm a meh.

That is what I kinda thought. Matthews and Korver are probable enough. I just don't want to see Johnson on Philly's bench.

they have a full roster, I guess if you want to release bender to sign johnson you can never have enough shooters. one is cold, bring in a new one. at 38, who knows what he has left in the tank though. i'm a meh.

That is what I kinda thought. Matthews and Korver are probable enough. I just don't want to see Johnson on Philly's bench.

Meh, I'd be a bit more open to someone like JR Smith who's a bit more proven and younger. But I don't see how much of an upgrade Johnson would be. I'd rather take the flier on Bender and hope we can unlock some of that potential than Joe Johnson right now.

Meh, I'd be a bit more open to someone like JR Smith who's a bit more proven and younger. But I don't see how much of an upgrade Johnson would be. I'd rather take the flier on Bender and hope we can unlock some of that potential than Joe Johnson right now.

I don't disagree with you, I just said that if they did do it, i wouldn't be upset, but i wouldn't be happy. If he signs with boston or philly, It wouldn't concern me. I think Johnson is a meh at 38. He was MVP of a 3 on 3 league where he was one of the younger guys out there and that apparently is giving him another opportunity to play. good for him, but it doesn't really excite me. This is for the 14th or 15th man on the roster, doesn't concern me much.

Larry Sanders is out there, they're still paying him anyhow.

He might have been a nice backup with his athletic ability. The type of guy who could obviously be rim protector and still mobile enough to defend the 3. We missed that last year. Of course all this would assume a degree of mental stability he hasn't shown.

joe Johnson signed with the pistons today, so while i wasn't worried he would tilt the needle much in philly, nor was I clammering for him to come here, he is really not much of a threat in detroit to hurt the bucks.

1 yr / 2.6 million deal.

If he ends up having a good season he's an easily tradable piece and could still end up on a team that faces the Bucks in a meaningful series.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

joe Johnson signed with the pistons today, so while i wasn't worried he would tilt the needle much in philly, nor was I clammering for him to come here, he is really not much of a threat in detroit to hurt the bucks.

1 yr / 2.6 million deal.

If he ends up having a good season he's an easily tradable piece and could still end up on a team that faces the Bucks in a meaningful series.

Meh, if we end up losing because of Joe Johnson, things will have gone horribly, horribly wrong this year.

But....to your point, he is easily tradeable. So if injuries strike, the Bucks shouldn't have much trouble getting him. Though I suspect the Pistons will try to compete this year as they're good enough to be a fringe playoff team. Just the thought of being a Pistons fan right now makes me that much more grateful for Giannis.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to put this here, but I think this is the dumbest time sharing idea I have ever heard.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27707068/g-league-experiment-single-foul-shot

#1 - the NBA is really the only professional league that does a good job with Time of Game (can't speak too much about hockey), but MLB, NFL and NCAAF are the biggest offenders.

#2 - this really changes the game. heck, if they want to reduce TOG, I'd rather end games like the TBT this summer over this, and incorporate the Elam ending, which really reduces the need to foul, rather than this.

I doubt it will ever expand past the g league, but its still a dumb idea.

Going to put this here, but I think this is the dumbest time sharing idea I have ever heard.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27707068/g-league-experiment-single-foul-shot

#1 - the NBA is really the only professional league that does a good job with Time of Game (can't speak too much about hockey), but MLB, NFL and NCAAF are the biggest offenders.

#2 - this really changes the game. heck, if they want to reduce TOG, I'd rather end games like the TBT this summer over this, and incorporate the Elam ending, which really reduces the need to foul, rather than this.

Yes, this is an asinine idea. The game is exciting enough, moves fast enough and it's not like you're limiting the potential for injury. You're just saving a little bit of time.

Can't wait for Giannis and the Bucks season to get started.

They just need to get rid of the endless fouling during the final 2-minutes of the game which makes the game extend for about 30-min. The last 2-minutes of any basketball game is the worst part of the sport. If they could get rid of this it would be great but I understand the strategy behind this it just slows the game down completely and is usually unnecessary and just extends the time the game is played versus actually deciding the outcome of the game.

I am not sure how you fix this or if you can.

They just need to get rid of the endless fouling during the final 2-minutes of the game which makes the game extend for about 30-min. The last 2-minutes of any basketball game is the worst part of the sport. If they could get rid of this it would be great but I understand the strategy behind this it just slows the game down completely and is usually unnecessary and just extends the time the game is played versus actually deciding the outcome of the game.

I am not sure how you fix this or if you can.

There's really no way to stop this. I mean, you're fundamentally changing the way the game is played in either circumstances.

Giannis won't talk free agency because it would be "disrespectful" to the bucks. This is not a good sign moving forward. Maybe reading too much into it, but I'd feel better if he just said he loved it here and will see how the future plays out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856013-giannis-antetokounmpo-its-disrespectful-to-bucks-to-talk-future-free-agency

Giannis won't talk free agency because it would be "disrespectful" to the bucks. This is not a good sign moving forward. Maybe reading too much into it, but I'd feel better if he just said he loved it here and will see how the future plays out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856013-giannis-antetokounmpo-its-disrespectful-to-bucks-to-talk-future-free-agency

He's said that countless times already. All this is him saying, 'I'm not going to talk about so stop asking.' Which, won't change anything as they will keep asking. Really you should like that he said this, as we just saw the Bucks can't talk about publicly so it's just dumb for him to do it as well. So he's saying he doesn't want the drama, just play the games.

It is what it is, they're offering the max. He'll decide next offseason if he takes it. They can't do anything between now and then anyway so there's nothing to talk about.

Archived