Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

I’ve come to the realization the brewers are not going to win a title with a chronically low payroll. Period. End of discussion. So with that said here is my plan:

This deadline I strengthen my bullpen: Trade for Jake Diekman.

DFA Chacín, Call-up Supak & D Williams, Burnes rehab then bullpen.

Playoff rotation: Woodruff Gio Anderson Davies

Bullpen: Peralta Houser Nelson Diekman D Williams Jeffress Hader Burnes

This offseason:

Sign Hiura to a 8 year extension.

Trade the following players:

Yelich Hader Woodruff Braun Cain Davies Anderson Arcia Thames Guerra Jeffress (Eat Large chunk of Braun & Cain’s contract)for 550 million in prospect capital which gives me 8+60 FV players. Add that to my farm and I have the best farm system in baseball, 9 of the top 50 prospects.

2020:

I’m going to re-build around 2 players: Hiura Grisham

Develop in the rotation > Burnes Peralta Houser Supak

Release jimmy Nelson

Develop prospects in ML

Payroll > 50 million (incl.buy-outs of Moose,Grandal)

2020 profit > 80 million (bank-60mil)

2021:

Sign Grisham to 8 year extension

Top 5 draft pick

Continue to develop prospects

Payroll > 40 million 100 million profit (bank-80mil)

2022-2027

5 year window of championship contention with 2022 still low payroll > 100 million > 50 mil. Banked

2023-2027 have 190 million banked to have 200 million payrolls each of the 4 years.

Attanasio used the 2015-17 profit savings on capital improvements, so we’re going to do this again, but this time it goes to payroll.

This type of 2 year tank for payroll savings is the only way we can compete with the big boys and for a 4 year period we’d have a big market payroll.

5 years of ~ 20% odds > World Series

WOW! Not sure what else to say, besides that. I sure hope we hit on a bunch of your trades this offseason, as it appears that we would be trading away just about all of our talented players (sans Hiura). And, do we really know what we have in Grisham at this stage? I know we are all excited about him right now, but this is literally his first bit of success that he's had so far in his long minor league career.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ve come to the realization the brewers are not going to win a title with a chronically low payroll. Period. End of discussion. So with that said here is my plan:

This offseason:

Yelich Hader Woodruff Braun Cain Davies Anderson Arcia Thames Guerra Jeffress (Eat Large chunk of Braun & Cain’s contract)for 550 million in prospect capital which gives me 8+60 FV players. Add that to my farm and I have the best farm system in baseball, 9 of the top 50 prospects.

2020:

Release jimmy Nelson

Develop prospects in ML

2021:

Top 5 draft pick

2022-2027

5 year window of championship contention with 2022 still low payroll > 100 million > 50 mil. Banked

2023-2027 have 190 million banked to have 200 million payrolls each of the 4 years.

Attanasio used the 2015-17 profit savings on capital improvements, so we’re going to do this again, but this time it goes to payroll.

This type of 2 year tank for payroll savings is the only way we can compete with the big boys and for a 4 year period we’d have a big market payroll.

WOW! Not sure what else to say, besides that. I sure hope we hit on a bunch of your trades this offseason, as it appears that we would be trading away just about all of our talented players (sans Hiura). And, do we really know what we have in Grisham at this stage? I know we are all excited about him right now, but this is literally his first bit of success that he's had so far in his long minor league career.

Stearns is definitely not infallible, as this year plainly shows us, but I am confident in his evaluation of talent, and I’m extremely confident that the massive trading of our aforementioned players will yield the talent to immediately give us a historically elite farm, and of equal importance allow the banking of almost 200 million.

I’ve seen Grisham in ST, AAA twice, and he’s the best player on the field, he’s gonna be a star player.

Brew Crew 92 has went full crazy. He’s throwing a tantrum because all of his other crazy plans won’t happen and he knows it. He goes to the extremes. MA is cheap because he doesn’t sign/trade for all the best players. Stearns is a dip because he doesn’t start/sign/bring up player X, Y, Z.

Now because all of his other stuff is just well, yeah, he’s changing his tune and being extreme the other way as a seller because MA is stealing from the fans of the Brewers.

We’ve gone full circle with this guy. Not sure why he can’t just bring realistic views to what the team might/should be doing but he pretty much refuses to. I think it’s his game with this place. Probably best to just flat out ignore but it’s honestly so mind boggling that it’s hard to at times.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It’s not Stearns, how could it be? He’s handcuffed by his low payroll. There can’t be anyone on this site that disagree’s with this.

What you call crazy is actually the only plan that could possibly bring a title to MKE. There’s no other way. Zero.

The only plan I’ve seen from you is selling off our rentals. Ok, then what? What’s your plan for the brewers to win a championship?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I predict we'll start seeing some bigger moves this weekend. It will be interesting to see if it's a buyers' or sellers' market. Of the few deals that have been consummated so far, it looks like a buyers' market, as the return on some of these veteran players has been pretty lax in my opinion.

I still think the Brewers will find a way to grab a couple pen arms (one high leverage name guy, and one under-the-radar guy with some analytical upside). If they get a starter, it will likely be a rental who won't break the bank prospect-wise. But who knows? If the right deal comes along for a bigger name, I suppose it could happen.

What you call crazy is actually the only plan that could possibly bring a title to MKE. There’s no other way. Zero.

:laughing You’ve gotta be kidding me? Just when I think it can’t go further, it does. Yes, your plan is the ONLY plan that could ever possibly work. Come on. This has to be HighHeat19 or something. When are we all going to be let in on the joke?!!

Bud, there are plenty of ways in which Stearns could go in building a championship quality team. He had one a season ago. Some injuries and regression from some have most likely kept us away from something special this season. Going all nutty and batty is the exact opposite of what a quality GM does. There are pieces here and there will be opportunities to be had with players to obtain. Hopefully the right buttons will be pushed going forward with this team so your 50+ years of fandom can be finally paid off by those greedy bastards running the show.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It’s not Stearns, how could it be? He’s handcuffed by his low payroll. There can’t be anyone on this site that disagree’s with this.

I disagree with this.

Having a low payroll can be a stealth advantage because you aren't able to hand out mega contracts (which more often than not turn out badly).

With our limited payroll we have won the 7th most games in MLB since 2017. Plenty of teams that have spent more than us have won less, no team that spent less than us has won more in that time.

I disagree with this.

Having a low payroll can be a stealth advantage because you aren't able to hand out mega contracts (which more often than not turn out badly)...and force you to play said player even if he's bad

With our limited payroll we have won the 7th most games in MLB since 2017. Plenty of teams that have spent more than us have won less, no team that spent less than us has won more in that time.

Added a little tid bit to help drive home your already very good point.

I disagree with this.

Having a low payroll can be a stealth advantage because you aren't able to hand out mega contracts (which more often than not turn out badly).

I’m surprised that you would think this actually. So Andrew Friedman at some point won’t be able to help himself and will hand out mega contracts ? Jeff Luhnow? Brian Cashman? Derrick Falvy?

David Stearns? I don’t think so. The Ivy League educated brainiac president of baseball operations People littered all over baseball are way too smart with the analytics to

do this, there’s always a few > Theo, but it’s down to just a few. This is why unless changes are made to add more revenue sharing, I predict in 5-10 years we’ll have 6-10 superteams and everybody else.

I know We’ve outperformed our payroll, but we can only go so far on the cheap and then it stalls, then falls. Imo, last year a tremendous amount went our way but we still missed out. It’s not gonna get easier, it’s only gonna get tougher to compete vs teams that spend 100 million more on talent than we do EVERY YEAR.

:laughing You’ve gotta be kidding me? Just when I think it can’t go further, it does. Yes, your plan is the ONLY plan that could ever possibly work. Come on. This has to be HighHeat19 or something. When are we all going to be let in on the joke?!!

Bud, there are plenty of ways in which Stearns could go in building a championship quality team. He had one a season ago. Some injuries and regression from some have most likely kept us away from something special this season. Going all nutty and batty is the exact opposite of what a quality GM does. There are pieces here and there will be opportunities to be had with players to obtain. Hopefully the right buttons will be pushed going forward with this team so your 50+ years of fandom can be finally paid off by those greedy bastards running the show.

Sorry but it’s not gonna happen on a payroll 100 million less than the superteams. How could it?

For all the love the Rays get for their forward thinking front office, and for good reason, they won’t win the title either, and neither will the Twins, until their payroll bumps up, which in the Twins case should happen. Same with the As, no chance.

Greedy bastards? I’m assuming your referring to Attanasio?

Bastard isn’t a word I would use even if I was angry. Greedy? Not sure that’s the right word I’d use to describe Mark A. He’s a wealth manager, so wouldn’t he have to be obsessed with money? At least focused on making money, right?

I do NOT like the fact that there have been rumors out there about just about every team looking at so and so recently, EXCEPT nothing on the Brewers..Getting a bad vibe DS may not do anything but something small...if that's the case, why bother?? It's not going to move the needle.

Sorry but it’s not gonna happen on a payroll 100 million less than the superteams. How could it?

For all the love the Rays get for their forward thinking front office, and for good reason, they won’t win the title either, and neither will the Twins, until their payroll bumps up, which in the Twins case should happen. Same with the As, no chance.

Greedy bastards? I’m assuming your referring to Attanasio?

Bastard isn’t a word I would use even if I was angry. Greedy? Not sure that’s the right word I’d use to describe Mark A. He’s a wealth manager, so wouldn’t he have to be obsessed with money? At least focused on making money, right?

You should probably do some research or teams to make/win the World Series over the past 20 seasons before spouting off more of your nonsense.

The past doesn’t matter!

It’s a different baseball world from 10 years ago, it’s massively different from just 5 years ago. The large markets have gotten too smart to do the dumb things of the past. Looking ahead, small market teams have no chance, unless > Tank to save $ and hoard prospects then spend like big market for 2-3-4-5 years, rinse and repeat. But the players association will try to outlaw the tank AND the low payroll, so we better get going on this before we can’t.

The past doesn’t matter!

It’s a different baseball world from 10 years ago, it’s massively different from just 5 years ago. The large markets have gotten too smart to do the dumb things of the past. Looking ahead, small market teams have no chance, unless > Tank to save $ and hoard prospects then spend like big market for 2-3-4-5 years, rinse and repeat. But the players association will try to outlaw the tank AND the low payroll, so we better get going on this before we can’t.

What if those prospects don't work out?? Then what??

The past doesn’t matter!

Is this one of those things you have no evidence of to support your claims and just hope everyone doesn’t challenge you on your post? Some teams will tank to compete (has nothing to do with saving money for competing years) and some will continue to make smart acquisitions and build teams that are in and out of competing.

The past doesn’t matter!

What if those prospects don't work out?? Then what??

With a 200 million payroll it’ll work out.

The past doesn’t matter!

Is this one of those things you have no evidence of to support your claims and just hope everyone doesn’t challenge you on your post? Some teams will tank to compete (has nothing to do with saving money for competing years) and some will continue to make smart acquisitions and build teams that are in and out of competing.

2 tanks both larger markets:

Cubbies tanked for 3+ years 2011-2014

2015 payroll > 132 million

2016 payroll > 186 million > World Series Winners

Astros tanked for 6 years 2009-2014

2016 payroll > 95 million

2017 payroll > 139 million > World Series Winners

Didn’t win the title till payroll went up, and both have much more revenue than MKE.

So how do we get the talent, then when we have the talent, bump the payroll to sign free agent or two to win the title if we’re not large market like the cubbies and Astros?

The past doesn’t matter!

2 tanks both larger markets:

Cubbies tanked for 3+ years 2011-2014

2015 payroll > 132 million

2016 payroll > 186 million > World Series Winners

Astros tanked for 6 years 2009-2014

2016 payroll > 95 million

2017 payroll > 139 million > World Series Winners

Didn’t win the title till payroll went up.

Now do the Brewers payroll over the last five seasons. ;)

This offseason:

2020:

Release jimmy Nelson

Develop prospects in ML

2021:

Top 5 draft pick

2022-2026

2023-2026 have 190 million banked to have 200 million payrolls each of the 4 years.

The Brewers very quickly become the Marlins and the laughing stock of all baseball. Losing 105-110 games for 2-4 years in a row won't gain many fans. Your 5 year window is really 2 years because you would want to trade any valuable player for future prospects if they didn't win it all in back-to-back years.

This offseason:

2020:

Release jimmy Nelson

Develop prospects in ML

2021:

Top 5 draft pick

2022-2026

2023-2026 have 190 million banked to have 200 million payrolls each of the 4 years.

The Brewers very quickly become the Marlins and the laughing stock of all baseball. Losing 105-110 games for 2-4 years in a row won't gain many fans. Your 5 year window is really 2 years because you would want to trade any valuable player for future prospects if they didn't win it all in back-to-back years.

It’s a 2 year tank. But with Hiura Grisham Burnes Peralta Houser among others it’s not a real tank. It’s a young, competitive team, that with The tremendous amount of young talent added by the trading of Yelich & etc. and Stearns wizardry could contend a year early 2021 but for sure in 22. If I had to predict a record > 2020 > 75 wins. 21 > 81+

If I had to predict a record > 2020 > 75 wins. 21 > 81+

And if you didn't make your suggested moves, what would your estimated win totals be with Yelich, Hader, etc.?

I don’t know, depends on the payroll.

2020 > 130 million > 87

150 million > 91

170. > 95

2021 > 140 > 88

> 160 > 92

> 180 > 97

Unfortunately the payroll won’t get High enough to get to 90 wins.

Archived