Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

Edwin Diaz would be perfect imo. Three more years of control of a dominant reliever at a lower price (hopefully but probably not). The Brewers bullpen next year with Hader, Knebel, Diaz, Houser is nasty.

Heck Peralta and Burnes unless they are traded

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edwin Diaz would be perfect imo. Three more years of control of a dominant reliever at a lower price (hopefully but probably not). The Brewers bullpen next year with Hader, Knebel, Diaz, Houser is nasty.

Heck Peralta and Burnes unless they are traded

Don't forget Bobby Wahl as well

How bout this for a truly all in:

Trade for Zack Greinke & Robbie Ray

Greinke & Ray & 10 mil. > Turang & Ray & Supak & Lemons

Trade for Edwin Diaz

Diaz > Lutz & Ashby & D Williams

Trade for Ian Kennedy & Jake Diekman

Ian Kennedy & Jake Diekman & 12 mil. > P Henry & T Williams

Trade Albers > lottery

Trade Guerra > lottery

Trade Anderson > good prospect

Chacín > DFA

Option Claudio

Rotation:

Greinke Woodruff Ray Davies Gio

Bullpen:

Peralta Houser Nelson Diekman Jeffress Kennedy Hader Diaz

This is a championship pitching staff that we’d have intact thru next year.

$ for Greinke & Kennedy i’d use towards next year’s payroll.

This adds ~ 21 million to this year’s payroll > 148 million.

These deals add 61 million, minus the 22 received totaling 39 mil. Extra to the payroll for next year, but with no Moose and Grandal that saves ~ 29 mil., so net gain of 10 million. Which happens to be the gain every team in mlb gets for the new national Fox deal. Of course with Arby raises, Yelich raise, slight Cain raise, that will raise the payroll, but that can be offset some by releasing Nelson. With a 155 million payroll INCLUDING the Fox gain, we could have 10-20 million to spend this offseason and next deadline.

2020 Rotation:

Greinke Woodruff Ray Davies Burnes

Bullpen:

Houser Peralta Diekman Wahl/Jeffress Kennedy Hader Knebel Diaz

Lineup:

Grisham-LF

Yelich-RF

Hiura-2B

Shaw-3B

Aguilar/Thames-1B

Freitas-C

Arcia-SS

Woodruff-P

Cain-CF

Bench:

Braun Dubon Thames/Aguilar Pina

Then after next year’s World Series win, Trade Yelich Hader Woodruff Diaz for 15 top prospects. Rebuild/reload in 1-2 years, saving 50-100 million in payroll.

I'll agree that they'd be interested in Davies, but it doesn't make much sense for the Brewers to give him up. I think Arcia and Peralta are the logical ones that the Mets would want to take a look at.

Looking at the trade value site if you remove Yelich,Hader,Woodruff, and Hiura to put together any kind of fair package for Thor the Brewers would have to include Arcia,Davies,or Cain. Sounds like they have SS covered and Cain and his contract aren't all that attractive unless the Mets are getting an early start on a run for next season. That leaves Davies as the most logical choice and also matches the Mets assistant GM or whoever scouting Thursday's game. Still seems super unlikely to me but since we have the reporting it's not all that crazy speculation.

If you could land Diaz and Lugo from the Mets, I think that's a trade that solves a lot of problems now and sets the team up very, very well going forward. Anyone willing to speculate on what that deal would look like?

If you could land Diaz and Lugo from the Mets, I think that's a trade that solves a lot of problems now and sets the team up very, very well going forward. Anyone willing to speculate on what that deal would look like?

I am having a hard time just finding pieces for just Diaz if you add Lugo it gets even more complicated. Adding Lugo means the Brewers are trading away their whole farm system in one trade. That leaves us at a huge disadvantage in the future if we want to make any trades.

The same with Syndergaard the only way the Brewers are making a trade with the Mets that includes Diaz and Lugo or Syndergaard by himself is if the Brewers take on a majority of the Cespedes contract which is $29.5m for next year only. That is a lot of money to take on for a player who may not play next year and wouldn't have a spot in Milwaukee to play I would play him over Braun though but that is a lot of money to be sinking into two aging OF's.

Your talking 60.7 in value for those 2 guys.

Heck, Bauer alone is 39.2 so its going to be an impressive package of players to get those 2 pieces from the Mets..

I was finally able to craft an accepted trade for Diaz & Lugo at Baseball Trade Values.. 7 player deal.

It took all 5 of C Burnes, F Peralta, Ashby, Lutz & Turang

I am having a hard time just finding pieces for just Diaz if you add Lugo it gets even more complicated. Adding Lugo means the Brewers are trading away their whole farm system in one trade. That leaves us at a huge disadvantage in the future if we want to make any trades.

The same with Syndergaard the only way the Brewers are making a trade with the Mets that includes Diaz and Lugo or Syndergaard by himself is if the Brewers take on a majority of the Cespedes contract which is $29.5m for next year only. That is a lot of money to take on for a player who may not play next year and wouldn't have a spot in Milwaukee to play I would play him over Braun though but that is a lot of money to be sinking into two aging OF's.

But with Braun's contract coming off the books, after next year, couldn't they stomach taking Cespedes 29.5$ for one year?? I mean to me if it's the difference between resigning Moose and Grandal and paying Cespedes to get Thor, I'm resigning Moose and Grandal.

However, I'm not sure you'd have to do that for Syndergaard...I would THINK that Burnes, Peralta, Davies and let's say Arcia(just for kicks) has to get them VERY close if not done. Heck you may only have ot give up two of those guys given the control they all have left.

But with Braun's contract coming off the books, after next year, couldn't they stomach taking Cespedes 29.5$ for one year?? I mean to me if it's the difference between resigning Moose and Grandal and paying Cespedes to get Thor, I'm resigning Moose and Grandal.

However, I'm not sure you'd have to do that for Syndergaard...I would THINK that Burnes, Peralta, Davies and let's say Arcia(just for kicks) has to get them VERY close if not done. Heck you may only have ot give up two of those guys given the control they all have left.

Not even close and the Mets would have to be absolutely in love with Peralta and Burnes for this to even work. Arcia has no value to the Mets. If you are trading from the MLB team it would be Hiura and Peralta/Burnes that would get you close to Syndergaard's value.

The Brewers are not trading Hiura so that removes him from the equation and I don't believe the Brewers will trade anyone on their MLB roster as it will make the team overall weaker. I could see either Peralta or Burnes traded but not both. The Brewers just don't have the assets to trade away to get Syndergaard.

So you want to pay one player who may not even play next year what it would cost to keep two players? In what universe does this make sense? Cespedes may not even play half of the season next year and then you have the problem of where do you play him. You are also going to have to rely on Shaw and Pina to be at least half as good as Grandal and Moose. It just wouldn't make any sense at all for the Brewers to take on Cespedes even if they are getting Syndergaard. You are creating way too many holes that will need to be filled at some point and now you don't have the prospect capital to make those trades.

According to that trade values website, that offer is light, FWIW.

And I agree with nate. Basically creating two new holes to obtain a modest at best upgrade going from Davies to Thor doesn't work in my mind if the goal is to compete this year.

Injured Tribe pitcher update:

Corey Kluber with his 2nd bullpen outing on Sunday 7/21.

Cookie Carrasco with his 1st bullpen outing since the illness announcement on Sunday 7/21.

Danny Salazar with his 5th rehab start (this time for AAA Columbus in Buffalo) on Sunday 7/21. Salazar's pitching line for the game: 3.1 IP, 3 hits, no runs, 1 walk allowed, 6 strikeouts recorded (64 pitches, 46 for strikes). 14 batters faced.

And I agree with nate. Basically creating two new holes to obtain a modest at best upgrade going from Davies to Thor doesn't work in my mind if the goal is to compete this year.

Syndergaard & Lugo for Arcia, Burnes, Davies, Lutz and Peralta is awfully close...Done deal if I'm in charge.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Syndergaard & Lugo for Arcia, Burnes, Davies, Lutz and Peralta is awfully close...Done deal if I'm in charge.

If you do that, you better hope Thor stays healthy, because you are destroying the team's starting pitching depth.

If you do that, you better hope Thor stays healthy, because you are destroying the team's starting pitching depth.

Using the site, DeGrom is an easier get, who I'd rather have anyway, does that work for you?? ;) You are only giving up Davies that is a current starter...Burnes destroyed his own value, that's not my fault.

I’ve come to the realization the brewers are not going to win a title with a chronically low payroll. Period. End of discussion. So with that said here is my plan:

This deadline I strengthen my bullpen: Trade for Jake Diekman.

DFA Chacín, Call-up Supak & D Williams, Burnes rehab then bullpen.

Playoff rotation: Woodruff Gio Anderson Davies

Bullpen: Peralta Houser Nelson Diekman D Williams Jeffress Hader Burnes

This offseason:

Sign Hiura to a 8 year extension.

Trade the following players:

Yelich Hader Woodruff Braun Cain Davies Anderson Arcia Thames Guerra Jeffress (Eat Large chunk of Braun & Cain’s contract)for 550 million in prospect capital which gives me 8+60 FV players. Add that to my farm and I have the best farm system in baseball, 9 of the top 50 prospects.

2020:

I’m going to re-build around 2 players: Hiura Grisham

Develop in the rotation > Burnes Peralta Houser Supak

Release jimmy Nelson

Develop prospects in ML

Payroll > 50 million (incl.buy-outs of Moose,Grandal)

2020 profit > 80 million (bank-60mil)

2021:

Sign Grisham to 8 year extension

Top 5 draft pick

Continue to develop prospects

Payroll > 40 million 100 million profit (bank-80mil)

2022-2026

5 year window of championship contention with 2022 still low payroll > 100 million > 50 mil. Banked

2023-2026 have 190 million banked to have 200 million payrolls each of the 4 years.

Attanasio used the 2015-17 profit savings on capital improvements, so we’re going to do this again, but this time it goes to payroll.

This type of 2 year tank for payroll savings is the only way we can compete with the big boys and for a 4 year period we’d have a big market payroll.

5 years of ~ 20% odds > World Series

Archived