Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

The bullpen is SO bad, will one or two trades really turn this around? Even if you fix the bullpen, the starting rotation is still mediocre. How much prospect capital do you expend to and turn around what is a below average pitching staff? If they get 5 or more games behind the Cubs before the deadline, I hope they do a soft sell and look ahead to 2020.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bullpen is SO bad, will one or two trades really turn this around? Even if you fix the bullpen, the starting rotation is still mediocre. How much prospect capital do you expend to and turn around what is a below average pitching staff? If they get 5 or more games behind the Cubs before the deadline, I hope they do a soft sell and look ahead to 2020.

This would be the smart play but they’ll double down on this season and do something that will hinder the future I’m sure. There’s my negativity of the day with the Brewers FO. They just haven’t been ahead of the game like they were a season ago. Maybe a season like this will snap them back into it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
The bullpen does have the feel of being held together with baling twine. Ideally the Brewers would find a very good reliever under control for a few years. I know it is so much easier said than done. For example, I would love the Brewers to take a run at making a deal for Giants reliever Reyes Moronta, but I have no idea if the Giants would even entertain it (especially given their recent surge). To get a team to trade a controllable reliever such as Moronta the Brewers would probably have to give up a perceived overpay. Even if the Brewers were going to punt this season (which they aren’t) they still need to build a much better bullpen for next season. I don’t think they can rely on just having Corey Knebel back and adding some fringe bullpen pieces in the off-season. I wonder if the easiest time of year to add good bullpen pieces for the future is actually in July (albeit still expensive) when there are teams out of the race that are motivated to get value for relievers which are often viewed as a risk to regress for a rebuilding team that needs to extract value for the future.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
My strategy would be to stay away from the top-tier of deadline moves and play for cheap, lower-tier bullpen guys. The Brewers' bullpen is so terrible that a pair of average to below-average relievers could make a difference IF other members of the current team start performing. Ultimately that's what it will take anyway, which is what I think Stearns has been getting at in his comments--trades are not going to right this ship but a couple of small moves could help considerably.

My strategy would be to stay away from the top-tier of deadline moves and play for cheap, lower-tier bullpen guys. The Brewers' bullpen is so terrible that a pair of average to below-average relievers could make a difference IF other members of the current team start performing. Ultimately that's what it will take anyway, which is what I think Stearns has been getting at in his comments--trades are not going to right this ship but a couple of small moves could help considerably.

That would be incredibly disappointing if they just make a couple of small moves...go big or go home.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That would be incredibly disappointing if they just make a couple of small moves...go big or go home.

Or ... and hear be out here .... they stay away from overrated "name" guys and instead make smart acquisitions.

Or ... and hear be out here .... they stay away from overrated "name" guys and instead make smart acquisitions.

Those "name" guys may be the smart acquisitions and not necessarily overrated. Could just be having a down year. Guys with control like Syndergarrd. That's what everyone here wants, right?? Controllable players?? Go get him, he has lots of control left.

Community Moderator
With the rumors of Ruben Amaro Jr. scouting the Brewers in Phoenix my prediction is the Brewers are showing more interest in reliever Seth Lugo than either Wheeler or Syndergaard.

With the rumors of Ruben Amaro Jr. scouting the Brewers in Phoenix my prediction is the Brewers are showing more interest in reliever Seth Lugo than either Wheeler or Syndergaard.

What players on the Major League roster could Amaro possibly be scouting for a Lugo trade?

Community Moderator

What players on the Major League roster could Amaro possibly be scouting for a Lugo trade?

Freddy Peralta would make the most sense. Their value is pretty similar (maybe a slight edge to Freddy) and Lugo is probably a better bet to be a top end reliever over the next couple of seasons. Lugo is under team control through 2022.

Reminder, this is merely a prediction... and probably a wild one at that.

Edit: Another player the Mets could possibly have some interest in is Ben Gamel. If the Brewers are a believer in Trent Grisham then maybe his skillset is somewhat redundant with Gamel?

Freddy Peralta would make the most sense. Their value is pretty similar (maybe a slight edge to Freddy) and Lugo is probably a better bet to be a top end reliever over the next couple of seasons. Lugo is under team control through 2022.

Reminder, this is merely a prediction... and probably a wild one at that.

Edit: Another player the Mets could possibly have some interest in is Ben Gamel. If the Brewers are a believer in Trent Grisham then maybe his skillset is somewhat redundant with Gamel?

Would be a huge gamble that Grisham suddenly ready for prime time after 100 at bats in AAA

Community Moderator
Lugo would be a very nice acquisition, but if peralta is the price, I'd certainly hope it's part of a larger deal.

That’s fair.

I like Freddy Peralta a lot, but his possible range of outcomes over the next few years is pretty wide. Longer term he no doubt has a higher upside than a pitcher like Lugo, but there is also a realistic possibility that he isn’t going to be very good over the course of the near future. Lugo equals more performance certainty over the next 3.5 years, IMO.

So if the Amaro reports are true who does everyone else think he was possible trying to get a look at on Thursday?

I'm ASSUMING it would be for Syndergaard...so any number of options(not considering who the Mets may need position wise) that I would THINK could be trade bait from the current roster...Chase, Chacin, Albers, Arcia, Peralta, Pina, possibly Gamel and yes even Davies.

So if the Amaro reports are true who does everyone else think he was possible trying to get a look at on Thursday?

I'm ASSUMING it would be for Syndergaard...so any number of options(not considering who the Mets may need position wise) that I would THINK could be trade bait from the current roster...Chase, Chacin, Albers, Arcia, Peralta, Pina, possibly Gamel and yes even Davies.

You’re assuming it’s about Syndergaard and then go on to list a bunch of players pretty much no team wants, much less for players like Syndergaard?

Here's your reminder of Freddy Peralta's numbers this year as a reliever...

28 IP, 2.57 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 32 SO, 10.3 SO/9, .229 BAA, .673 OPSA, 79 sOPS+

Not sure it makes sense to trade a guy who just turned 23, and is controlled through 2023, for a soon to be 30 year old, lesser reliever.

You’re assuming it’s about Syndergaard and then go on to list a bunch of players pretty much no team wants, much less for players like Syndergaard?

They would be fillers or "throw ins" on top of prospects. I'm pretty sure the Mets would take Davies as a piece.

They would be fillers or "throw ins" on top of prospects. I'm pretty sure the Mets would take Davies as a piece.

I'll agree that they'd be interested in Davies, but it doesn't make much sense for the Brewers to give him up. I think Arcia and Peralta are the logical ones that the Mets would want to take a look at.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You scream about trading for an arm, then suggest trading off arguably the one who's performing the best this year? Odd ...

I just cannot understand why Davies doesn't get more love around here. All the guy has done is produce when healthy.

I've been down on our pen but I actually don't think they are too far off from where we need them to be. We got Houser back -- he and Peralta have been outstanding in the pen.

If you got one, preferably two arms in the pen to add to that, you could be in a lot better shape.

It's just disappointing that neither or Barnes or Williams was able to grow and step into the Knebel role this year.

Archived