Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mets sent executive Rueben Amaro Jr to scout Brewers in Phoenix

Why would they be scouting players on the 25 man roster - Only players that they would see, that could be moved and make sense is Arcia or Peralta, but they have rosario to play SS

Reading about all these scouts watching guys like madbum, Syndergaard, Stroman etc, and we have not heard a peep about Brewers scouts anywhere. That disappoints me, I want a TOR arm.

Woodruff is a TOR arm, and Davies is pretty dang close to that level. They could use more depth in the rotation to be sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to give up a huge amount of capital just because the guy you're trading for has a recognizable name.

Davies is no where near TOR arm...Get out of here with that non-sense.

Reading about all these scouts watching guys like madbum, Syndergaard, Stroman etc, and we have not heard a peep about Brewers scouts anywhere. That disappoints me, I want a TOR arm.

Woodruff is a TOR arm, and Davies is pretty dang close to that level. They could use more depth in the rotation to be sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to give up a huge amount of capital just because the guy you're trading for has a recognizable name.

Davies is no where near TOR arm...Get out of here with that non-sense.

Thank you...Syndergaard and Madbum both are TOR arms.

Why would they be scouting players on the 25 man roster - Only players that they would see, that could be moved and make sense is Arcia or Peralta, but they have rosario to play SS

I can think of several, they COULD be looking at or at least guys I consider trade able off the current team..Arcia, Chacin, Aguilar/Thames, Peralta, Pina, Albers, Chase, and yes even Davies(IF the brewers target is Syndergaard). Then again, this report could be false, or they could be scouting Dbacks players. Who knows??

I can think of several, they COULD be looking at or at least guys I consider trade able off the current team..Arcia, Chacin, Aguilar/Thames, Peralta, Pina, Albers, Chase, and yes even Davies(IF the brewers target is Syndergaard). Then again, this report could be false, or they could be scouting Dbacks players. Who knows??

I mean I guess I could see the Mets wanting Davies on top of a prospect package for Thor, they have the same 2.5 years of control and Davies will be cheaper. It lets them sell it to the fans as getting both a quality MLB starter and prospects back. It's a bit harder to see that from the Brewers side as they don't gain a starter but Syndergaard is obviously an upgrade from Zach. I really don't see it though unless the Mets are really determined to move him now, do the Mets have someone else we are interested in that we would move MLB players for?

Morosi was on MLB Network this morning discussing which teams were scouting Mad Bum’s start last night and didn’t mention the Brewers. He did mention the Crew when he started talking about Marcus Stroman, however.

Meh, not really a major needle mover.

Considering that Stroman has been better than every starter on the Brewers not named Woodruff, I think he'd pencil in nicely as a great #2.

FWIW Stroman has given up 49 runs in 110.2 IP, Davies 42 in 109.2.

Poor guy is like Rodney Dangerfield around here.

Considering that Stroman has been better than every starter on the Brewers not named Woodruff, I think he'd pencil in nicely as a great #2.

Your really going to use that as your argument? Yesterday is a perfect example why Davies xFIP is 5.19

If it’s wasnt for Cain and our defense, Davies would have given up like 5 runs.

Stroman xFIP is a whole run less

Here is the SNY article on it... Mets sent exec Ruben Amaro Jr. to scout Brewers, who are interested in trading for Zack Wheeler, Noah Syndergaard

Beautiful! We want Thor! We want Thor! We want Thor!

Was a huge fan of Thor but he hasn’t improved The last two year... from everything I read, guy is dumb as a box of rocks. He’s a thrower, not a pitcher.

Your really going to use that as your argument? Yesterday is a perfect example why Davies xFIP is 5.19

Yeah, it's dangerous just to use runs allowed. Stroman's numbers are very much better overall.

I don't think FIP likes contact pitchers like Davies very much but I sure won't get in a argument on advanced stats as I am not very well versed in what goes into them. It seems like runs allowed should matter for a pitcher but what do I know. Just checked bWAr and Davies is 2.5 Stroman 2.6, just saying I don't know why it's so dang clear who is better. It's not like Stroman is an elite K guy.

Not entirely correct. xFIP and FIP in general puts more weight into strike outs. Since Davies doesn't strike out a lot his xFIP and FIP will always be higher. I really like xFIP and FIP but not every pitcher that is not a K machine is bad. Davies is more of a pitcher that has to live on the corners and place his pitches correctly and there is nothing wrong with that but xFIP and FIP are not going to like Davies at all because of the low strike out rate.

The big thing for Davies is to keep his BB/9 and his HR/9 rates low if he does that he will be just as successful as someone like Stroman.

Not entirely correct. xFIP and FIP in general puts more weight into strike outs. Since Davies doesn't strike out a lot his xFIP and FIP will always be higher. I really like xFIP and FIP but not every pitcher that is not a K machine is bad. Davies is more of a pitcher that has to live on the corners and place his pitches correctly and there is nothing wrong with that but xFIP and FIP are not going to like Davies at all because of the low strike out rate.

The big thing for Davies is to keep his BB/9 and his HR/9 rates low if he does that he will be just as successful as someone like Stroman.

Look a Dallas Keuchel last year, 6.5 SO/9 and still had a xFIP under 4

Look a Dallas Keuchel last year, 6.5 SO/9 and still had a xFIP under 4

Keuchel's K/9 is nearly a whole K/9 better than Davies while also having a lower HR/9 and a BB/9. Keuchel also had a lower FB% which is also going to factor into his xFIP being lower. Not sure why you used Keuchel as that is an extremely bad example.

Mike Leake would be a better example of him having a low K/9 compared to his xFIP and FIP and again this is due to him having a better GB% than Davies. If Davies increased his GB% to what Keuchel's and Leake's were last year he would have a better xFIP. He would still be around a 4.5 xFIP but it would improve. K/9 is not the number one factor but it does help in lowering your xFIP.

The point I was trying to make is that there are better stats to use to point out that Davies year is not as good as his ERA is showing. While I would agree normally that xFIP would be a good indicator for this it is a poor one for the type of a pitcher that Davies is. You should expect his xFIP to be higher as he is not going to strike out as many players and his GB% is not elite. What we want to look at here are some supporting stats like Davies FB%, HR/9, BB/9, and GB/FB. Looking at Davies compared to Keuchel's 2018 season you can see that Davies is getting a bit lucky here and what is concerning is his GB/FB ratio and his FB%. I would expect Davies HR/9 to increase and his HR/FB rate to also increase over the rest of the year if he continues to pitch like he has.

Maybe Davies will have a fluke year and continue to pitch to his ERA but I highly doubt it but I also don't expect him to pitch to his xFIP either. He will land somewhere in between as there is some improvement that still may come as he is below his GB/FB career rate so I would expect that to improve. I fully expect Davies to finish the year around 3.75-4.25 ERA and his xFIP will be around 5.00.

Bauer/Kipnis for Lutz/SHAW/Dubon/Ashby

We will need Shaw to play third next year.

Mouse has an 11m mutual option next year with a 3 mil buy out, so im assuming that if the Brewers want him back and Mouse doesn't, they dont have to pay him?

So lets just say that the Brewers have to pay him the $3m option, plus you add Shaw's ARB of $4.5-5, your esentially paying $8m for a 3b.

You would assume incorrectly. Very few mutual options ever get exercised.

I don't think FIP likes contact pitchers like Davies very much but I sure won't get in a argument on advanced stats as I am not very well versed in what goes into them. It seems like runs allowed should matter for a pitcher but what do I know. Just checked bWAr and Davies is 2.5 Stroman 2.6, just saying I don't know why it's so dang clear who is better. It's not like Stroman is an elite K guy.

FIP definitely does not like guys like Davies or guys who give up HRs. FIP places a large value on strikeouts (-Ks X2) and Davies' lack of Ks is a detriment when figuring FIP.

Archived