Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

Keith , I’ve re-thought my trade idea’s after reading your post. I believe the tribe to want to win, and they need Bauer to do that so, I agree, he’s off the table. And after reading JosephC’s trade proposal on Ray, and your critique on my trades:

Trade for Robbie Ray.

Ray > Turang & Supek & Bello

Trade for Alex Colome.

Colome > lutz/Ray & B Francis & Diplan

Trade for Ian Kennedy.

Kennedy & 9.5 mil > Z Brown & Barnes

Trade Chacín > lottery

Trade Albers > lottery

Rotation: Woodruff Ray Davies Houser Gio/Peralta

Bullpen: Anderson Gio/Peralta Guerra D Williams Jeffress Kennedy Hader Colome

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Grandy and Moose, we have a better shot at the playoffs now than next year. It's at about 5 to 10% for me if we retain just one of them, and the production between C and 3B will not be as high next year regardless of what happens this offseason.

Because of this, I see the team buying big at the deadline. A big name starter that is controlled for 2 or 3 years, helping them for next year, along with a couple of relief arms on the cheaper side, prospect wise, would be my guess.

I would not be surprised to see 4 or 5 of our top 10 prospects moved, along with one of our 1B. We are not in rebuild mode. That will happen IMO around 2021 or 2022 when we move Yelich, Hader, Shaw, Woodruff, etc.

Keith , I’ve re-thought my trade idea’s after reading your post. I believe the tribe to want to win, and they need Bauer to do that so, I agree, he’s off the table. And after reading JosephC’s trade proposal on Ray, and your critique on my trades:

Trade for Robbie Ray.

Ray > Turang & Supek & Bello

Trade for Alex Colome.

Colome > lutz/Ray & B Francis & Diplan

Trade for Ian Kennedy.

Kennedy & 9.5 mil > Z Brown & Barnes

Trade Chacín > lottery

Trade Albers > lottery

Rotation: Woodruff Ray Davies Houser Gio/Peralta

Bullpen: Anderson Gio/Peralta Guerra D Williams Jeffress Kennedy Hader Colome

Those trades seem a lot closer to me from a value standpoint, it's hard to come even close to accurate on who might be traded for what guy...but the idea of nabbing 1 solid starter and 2 relievers...all with 1.5 years of team control seems about right. Again, I could also see us going for Greinke...but that's tougher.

As others have said I think we can strike Bauer's name off the table. The Indians are now just 4.5 games out of first and just .5 game out of the wild card. The Twins are also starting to show some signs of regressing to the mean (since June 4th they are a .500 team).

The Giants are now just 2.5 games out of the WC. Are they still selling or do they wait it out? I am guessing they are not in a rush now. They just passed the Rockies and Padres in their own division and could pass the Dbacks very soon. Do the Dbacks sell with 1 game out of the WC?

If the Giants and Dback do not sell the starting pitching market really dries up.

In case others have not heard the injury updates out of Cleveland regarding its starters....

Corey Kluber tossed a 20 pitch bullpen today (1st off the mound since his injury). It seems to have gone well so there is hope a few more bullpens will lead to a rehab start before 7/31 and Kluber could be back for the Tribe before the end of August...

Cookie Carrasco is still around the team and playing catch with various players. This past Sunday was with Kluber out in the outfield. IF (and I mean IF) he comes back this season, its great. No one is really counting on his return this season but I think no one would be surprised if Cookie is back out on the mound in 2020.

Danny Salazar (yes that old name) has now made 4 rehab STARTS between appearances in Arizona (2) and AA Akron (2). IF no setbacks, his 30 day rehab calendar ends by 7/30. In his last rehab Salazar went 3 IP (58 pitches/ 38 strikes). Salazar is out of options but the work as a starter is intriguing. Perhaps there is a message in there.

Mike Clevinger continues to pitch well returning from injury. He went 6 IP allowing 6H, 1 BB, 1 run allowed while recording 12 Ks on 100 pitches (68 strikes) on weds nite vs the Tigers.. I think he is fully back to form.

Why all this? Consider if 2 of the top 3 names return to play this year. Add 2 to Clevinger, Bieber, Plesac, & Plutko. It means the Tribe could afford to deal Bauer IF their asking price is met..

Hey MadThinker88, I would guess the Indians would move Bauer in a millisecond if they were offered a proven, comparable-value MLB outfielder in return. But do you think they would be that interested in trading him for prospects? That part I'm no so sure about.

Hey MadThinker88, I would guess the Indians would move Bauer in a millisecond if they were offered a proven, comparable-value MLB outfielder in return. But do you think they would be that interested in trading him for prospects? That part I'm no so sure about.

I don't know about that Joseph. The CLE FO likely has its own ideas & plans.

IMHO the nationally perceived OF need has been mitigated by acquisitions & promotions of Oscar Mercado & Daniel Johnson (now in AAA). DJ is just awaiting his shot right now. He is hitting .289 on the season (.318 at AAA Columbus). Francona has gotten very adept at mixing & matching his outfield over the years in CLE so platoons & additional value add in areas other than hitting tends to be the norm.

I recall posting the following observation on these boards in the past - The Brewer offense tends to be driven primarily by the OF & supported by the other positions. Meanwhile the Tribe offense is driven primarily by the INF (Lindor/ JRam/ others) & supported by the other positions.

The Tribe offense has improved recently as Jose Ramirez has finally (after a near 12 month slump) started to produce again. To a lesser degree Jason Kipnis as well. On the season JRam is hitting .226 but .313 in the last 28 days. Kipnis is at .238 on the season and .271 in the last 28 days.

The "dream scenario" floating around Tribe message boards & talk radio is landing Whit Merrifield from KC. His versatility helps for this season and with Kipnis departing after the season (the 2.5M buyout will be exercised instead of the $16.5M team option) Whit fills the spot at 2nd rather well moving forward.

Obviously Bauer to KC is not a match but they could be 2 parts of a 3 team trade. The idea is Bauer heads to someone in the NL for a great package of prospects that is then used to either augment a Tribe offer to KC or replace pieces from the Tribe farm used to land Merrifield from KC..

We are 2 weeks out from the trade deadline. We shall see what happens..

As others have said I think we can strike Bauer's name off the table. The Indians are now just 4.5 games out of first and just .5 game out of the wild card. The Twins are also starting to show some signs of regressing to the mean (since June 4th they are a .500 team).

The Giants are now just 2.5 games out of the WC. Are they still selling or do they wait it out? I am guessing they are not in a rush now. They just passed the Rockies and Padres in their own division and could pass the Dbacks very soon. Do the Dbacks sell with 1 game out of the WC?

If the Giants and Dback do not sell the starting pitching market really dries up.

If I had to guess right now, the Giants sell, the DBacks buy. Arizona is, IMO, the surprise team in the NL, and after destroying the Rangers last night 19- 3, i now believe they could be buyers depending on the next 12 days. This weekends series will be interesting to say the least.

This is could be a wild trade deadline or a complete dud. Teams will be deciding between being buyers or sellers right up to the last week. Front offices are going have to be able to sell fans on selling when they are within 2 or 3 games of the wild card. Now say the Brewers or Phillies go 8-2 over their next 10 that would make it a lot easier for some of the other teams to sell selling.

at this point, i would act like they did in 2007, acquired Scott Linebrink for some pen help and that is about it. I can't see selling 2 1/2 games back but don't see going all in. Acquire what you can for non-elite prospects and see what happens.

The "dream scenario" floating around Tribe message boards & talk radio is landing Whit Merrifield from KC. His versatility helps for this season and with Kipnis departing after the season (the 2.5M buyout will be exercised instead of the $16.5M team option) Whit fills the spot at 2nd rather well moving forward.

Obviously Bauer to KC is not a match but they could be 2 parts of a 3 team trade. The idea is Bauer heads to someone in the NL for a great package of prospects that is then used to either augment a Tribe offer to KC or replace pieces from the Tribe farm used to land Merrifield from KC..

We are 2 weeks out from the trade deadline. We shall see what happens..

Obviously message boards are different than what the GM is thinking, but I would think Dubon could be valued highly by the Indians if they like Whit that much. Everything I've read says Whit is virtually unattainable. Dubon is a long term replacement at 2b, has significant versatility, and has speed for late game situations. He's also RH so could start against lefties at 2b or somewhere in the OF. Dubon++ for Bauer?

Bauer/Kipnis for Lutz/SHAW/Dubon/Ashby

Would Kipnis be the salary dump Clev. wants to move Bauer? He would cost the Brewers $9.5 - 10M for this year including his $2.5M buyout. I can't see any reason why the Brewers would want him otherwise. Kipnis isn't capable of playing SS so he doesn't fit as the backup INF. Gamel is better in the OF so he doesn't fit there either. Stearns would have to DFA him immediately. Bauer would be about $6M this year and being arby eligible, around $17-19M next year. In your deal the Brewers would be putting out basically $32M - $34M for 1 1/2 years of Bauer. I don't know if the price is right for that.

Part of the intrigue with Merrifield is the ability to rotate/ play thru all 3 OF spots this season before replacing Kipnis next season.

Playing with the Baseball Trade Values site I tried to figure out a trade package for Bauer (39.2).

I got it close with a package of Dubon (5.8), Turang (14.1), Lutz (16.5) & Ashby (2.6) for a total of 39.0

That might give the Tribe enough ammo to land Merrfield..

Would Kipnis be the salary dump Clev. wants to move Bauer? He would cost the Brewers $9.5 - 10M for this year including his $2.5M buyout. I can't see any reason why the Brewers would want him otherwise. Kipnis isn't capable of playing SS so he doesn't fit as the backup INF. Gamel is better in the OF so he doesn't fit there either. Stearns would have to DFA him immediately. Bauer would be about $6M this year and being arby eligible, around $17-19M next year. In your deal the Brewers would be putting out basically $32M - $34M for 1 1/2 years of Bauer. I don't know if the price is right for that.

Kipnis to bring the cost down on Bauer.

Bauer is costing Turang + Lutz unless you bring the value coming back down

We will need Shaw to play third next year.

Not too mention who would leave the 25 man roster to make room for Kipnis? Kipnis doesn’t play short stop or third base so you can’t replace Saladino with him.

He has never played corner outfield in the majors so you can’t replace Gamel with Kipnis. The Brewers can’t option Thames or Aguilar, and I’m sure Kipnis would not consent to being sent to the minor leagues either. Finally, the Brewers aren’t the Dodgers where fiscally they can trade for a bad contract as part of a larger deal then release the player with the bad contract

In your scenario the Brewers would be better off including cash before agreeing to take Kipnis.

We will need Shaw to play third next year.

Why? There will be plenty of 3B options for next season. Mouse has an 11m mutual option next year with a 3 mil buy out, so im assuming that if the Brewers want him back and Mouse doesn't, they dont have to pay him?

So lets just say that the Brewers have to pay him the $3m option, plus you add Shaw's ARB of $4.5-5, your esentially paying $8m for a 3b.

Reading about all these scouts watching guys like madbum, Syndergaard, Stroman etc, and we have not heard a peep about Brewers scouts anywhere. That disappoints me, I want a TOR arm.

Which one of these guys is a TOR arm?

Reading about all these scouts watching guys like madbum, Syndergaard, Stroman etc, and we have not heard a peep about Brewers scouts anywhere. That disappoints me, I want a TOR arm.

Which one of these guys is a TOR arm?

I believe the Blue Jays’ abbreviation is TOR. So Stroman ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Woodruff is a TOR arm, and Davies is pretty dang close to that level. They could use more depth in the rotation to be sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to give up a huge amount of capital just because the guy you're trading for has a recognizable name.

Archived