Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

Since April 29th, Aguilar is slashing .263/.376/.461. I highly doubt we will be able to significantly upgrade at 1B from a Thames/Aguilar platoon. Plus, once Hiura comes up we'll just have another roster spot to find.

We might be able to find a guy who is having a decent year and has outproduced the guys we have, but moving forward and trying to predict production from here on out is a totally different matter. None of those guys are actually an upgrade.

Ya that's fair, if Aguilar hits well that really clears things up and is best case scenario for the team.

The arbitrary end points you posted are sorta misleading though. You start it with a hot two game stretch where he hit 3 homers and it inflates the other 90ish PAs he's had since that time (232/360/319).

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eyeball test is still very bad on Aguilar. I'm always on the patient side but it's starting to be concerning where you just might have cut bait not far down the line. That said, I don't think they need a panic move there since Thames is doing well for now and covers the big end of the platoon. Once Hiura is back up you have another RH bat so Perez can play 1B. So come September/Oct you're kind of ok there assuming folks stay healthy. Still, I'd have my eyes on that market if I was them and see what shows up. There's probably a decent Granderson style pick up you can get right before the deadline (Frazier type person) to grab if needed for next to no cost if needed.

Verified Member
Since April 29th, Aguilar is slashing .263/.376/.461. I highly doubt we will be able to significantly upgrade at 1B from a Thames/Aguilar platoon. Plus, once Hiura comes up we'll just have another roster spot to find.

We might be able to find a guy who is having a decent year and has outproduced the guys we have, but moving forward and trying to predict production from here on out is a totally different matter. None of those guys are actually an upgrade.

Ya that's fair, if Aguilar hits well that really clears things up and is best case scenario for the team.

The arbitrary end points you posted are sorta misleading though. You start it with a hot two game stretch where he hit 3 homers and it inflates the other 90ish PAs he's had since that time (232/360/319).

Sure. From May 16th til now he's slashing .147/.231/.265 in 40 PAs. From March 28th to April 28th he hit .129/.225/.127 in 82 PAs

Which means that from April 29th to May 15th he hit .357/.481/.619 in 55 PAs.

On the whole, I don't think Thames or Aguilar are good full-time options, but I think a pretty strict R/L platoon will give us above average production from here on out with a possibility for MVP level production at times for either of them. We aren't relying on them to be a linchpin in our lineup. Yelich, Moose and Grandal have been very consistently excellent. We're not going to find better options elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s my way too early deadline moves:

1.) Trade Josh Hader to the Twins.

Hader > Trevor Larnach of, Jordan Balazovic RHP, Jhoan Duran RHP

2.) Trade for Trevor Bauer from the Tribe.

Bauer > Corbin Burnes, Corey Ray, Trey Supek

3.) Trade for Will Smith.

Smith > Tristan Lutz, Caden Lemons

4.) Trade for Ian Kennedy.

Kennedy & 10 mil. > Z. Brown, B. Francis

5.) Trade for Neil Walker.

Walker > Aguilar

6.) Trade Z. Davies to whoever for prospects.

Rotation:

Bauer Woodruff Houser Anderson Gio/Chacin

Bullpen:

Chacín Peralta Perdomo Guerra Albers Kennedy Jeffress Smith

Lineup:

Cain Yelich Hiura Moose Grandal Thames Braun/Gamel Arcia/Dubon

Bench:

Freitas Walker

Give up 4 middling prospects. 3 good, a stud Burnes.

But I get back a top 100 for Davies, 2 top 100s & a top 150 for Hader. So It’s a net gain on prospects.

And my rotation has 2 aces, and pen that can still shut down the oppo., offense is better with Freitas Dubon and Walker.

And next year I convince my owner to raise the payroll for ONE year to 180 million and plug holes at 3rd and C, and with a second half Knebel And shut down pen, Bauer Woody Houser Peralta Balazovic as my ridiculous rotation, I go on another deep run.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here’s my way too early deadline moves:

1.) Trade Josh Hader to the Twins.

Hader > Trevor Larnach of, Jordan Balazovic RHP, Jhoan Duran RHP

2.) Trade for Trevor Bauer from the Tribe.

Bauer > Corbin Burnes, Corey Ray, Trey Supek

3.) Trade for Will Smith.

Smith > Tristan Lutz, Caden Lemons

4.) Trade for Ian Kennedy.

Kennedy & 10 mil. > Z. Brown, B. Francis

5.) Trade for Neil Walker.

Walker > Aguilar

6.) Trade Z. Davies to whoever for prospects.

Rotation:

Bauer Woodruff Houser Anderson Gio/Chacin

Bullpen:

Chacín Peralta Perdomo Guerra Albers Kennedy Jeffress Smith

Lineup:

Cain Yelich Hiura Moose Grandal Thames Braun/Gamel Arcia/Dubon

Bench:

Freitas Walker

Give up 4 middling prospects. 3 good, a stud Burnes.

But I get back a top 100 for Davies, 2 top 100s & a top 150 for Hader. So It’s a net gain on prospects.

And my rotation has 2 aces, and pen that can still shut down the oppo., offense is better with Freitas Dubon and Walker.

And next year I convince my owner to raise the payroll for ONE year to 180 million and plug holes at 3rd and C, and with a second half Knebel And shut down pen, Bauer Woody Houser Peralta Balazovic as my ridiculous rotation, I go on another deep run.

Well ... this would be ... something.

You lost me at trade #1. You don't trade Hader and get better.

What’s better for this team, an Ace for 2 playoffs, and 2 stud pitchers plus a stud outfielder? or

Hader for 4 yrs and Burnes and Ray and Supek.

I want the guaranteed Ace for two years, with prospects that have more upside.

What’s better for this team, an Ace for 2 playoffs, and 2 stud pitchers plus a stud outfielder? or

What does one deal have to do with the other? I don't think a team has ever made all-in moves and rebuild moves in the same season. A few of these moves make sense individually, but in combination it is kinda nuts. And not in a good way.

What does one deal have to do with the other? I don't think a team has ever made all-in moves and rebuild moves in the same season. A few of these moves make sense individually, but in combination it is kinda nuts. And not in a good way.

I Trade high on Hader, but that weakens my pen, so get my pen maybe not as strong but strong enough with Smith and Kennedy. Then I get my Ace for the 2 playoffs.

Burnes is my biggest loss, but the 2 top pitching prospects cancel that out. I lose Ray and Lutz, but Larnach is a better prospect than either of them plus I still have Grisham.

If I can’t get a good enough prospect for Davies, then I don’t make that trade.

I lose 2 years of Hader for 2 playoffs with an Ace and Kennedy.

And I still have prospect depth to keep winning thru the Yelich window.

I Trade high on Hader, but that weakens my pen, so get my pen maybe not as strong but strong enough with Smith and Kennedy. Then I get my Ace for the 2 playoffs.

Burnes is my biggest loss, but the 2 top pitching prospects cancel that out. I lose Ray and Lutz, but Larnach is a better prospect than either of them plus I still have Grisham.

If this is the kind of player movement you are expecting/hoping for this season, there is no other way to say it. You're going to be disappointed. Because it just isn't going to happen.

If this is the kind of player movement you are expecting/hoping for this season, there is no other way to say it. You're going to be disappointed. Because it just isn't going to happen.

It might with DiPoto at the helm. Ha

1.) I would rather have an ace for 2 playoffs + Hader for 5 playoffs, so I'd at least nix the Hader deal if I was going to do any of this at all

2.) With one "ace-like" year last year surrounded by meh-to-goodish years the rest of his career, what makes Bauer a "guaranteed ace"?

3.) If you want to replenish the farm system, why trade away significant roster pieces now when you could wait til after the season (or after next season, or after the season after next season, or...)

1.) I would rather have an ace for 2 playoffs + Hader for 5 playoffs, so I'd at least nix the Hader deal if I was going to do any of this at all

2.) With one "ace-like" year last year surrounded by meh-to-goodish years the rest of his career, what makes Bauer a "guaranteed ace"?

3.) If you want to replenish the farm system, why trade away significant roster pieces now when you could wait til after the season (or after next season, or after the season after next season, or...)

Bauer’s the ultimate Ace RIGHT NOW, he’s a horse, no one pitches deeper, right at the edge of his prime these next 2 playoffs, and with Woodruff, another horse, who’s improving more than any pitcher in baseball by the start, wow, what 1-2.

I’m selling as high as I possibly can with Hader is the Why. The prospects I get back are tremendous, 2 of which can plug holes NEXT YEAR and 2021. The back end of my pen I can still fill with dominant pitchers.

I’m selling as high as I possibly can with Hader is the Why. The prospects I get back are tremendous, 2 of which can plug holes NEXT YEAR and 2021. The back end of my pen I can still fill with dominant pitchers.

Hader is the most dominant left handed reliever in baseball. His ability to go multiple innings makes him one of the most (if not the most) dominant reliever in all baseball.

The bullpen on your proposed roster sucks, and all those moves have an overall feel of just churning the personnel in the organization without concretely improving the overall talent in the organization.

I'm not totally opposed to your logic, however, I think you are overrating every player you've mentioned the Brewers receiving. Bauer has a very mediocre 4.32 xFIP "right now" and has had several non-ace quality starts scattered throughout the season where he's given up at least seven earned runs twice, at least five earned runs four times, and at least four earned runs seven times. I still like him and would love him on the staff, but I think he's far from the "ultimate ace" or a guaranteed thing. As for the prospects, I know MLB's prospect rankings aren't the end-all, be-all, but only two of them barely scrape the top 100 list and non of them are expected to reach the majors for at least two more years as they're all in A+ right now. Regardless, it's a nice package, but if I'm giving up 4.5 seasons of Hader, I want to be completely blown out of the water and that doesn't do it for me.

This isn’t a video game. And even at that, these trade scenarios are not good.

If you want Bauer, then trade for Bauer. Sell out and get him. But you don’t trade off your most valuable pitcher that would be needed in the playoffs anyways.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This isn’t a video game. And even at that, these trade scenarios are not good.

If you want Bauer, then trade for Bauer. Sell out and get him. But you don’t trade off your most valuable pitcher that would be needed in the playoffs anyways.

Also, dealing off another young, cost-controlled starter who is having a good season in Davies makes below zero sense.

I'm not totally opposed to your logic, however, I think you are overrating every player you've mentioned the Brewers receiving. Bauer has a very mediocre 4.32 xFIP "right now" and has had several non-ace quality starts scattered throughout the season where he's given up at least seven earned runs twice, at least five earned runs four times, and at least four earned runs seven times. I still like him and would love him on the staff, but I think he's far from the "ultimate ace" or a guaranteed thing. As for the prospects, I know MLB's prospect rankings aren't the end-all, be-all, but only two of them barely scrape the top 100 list and non of them are expected to reach the majors for at least two more years as they're all in A+ right now. Regardless, it's a nice package, but if I'm giving up 4.5 seasons of Hader, I want to be completely blown out of the water and that doesn't do it for me.

Ok so maybe a little light on the prospects back from the Twins, so I also get Blaine Enlow, so I now get the 2 prospects @100 plus 2 more @ 125-175. Do we have a deal?

I just don’t care about Bauer’s stats, he was injured earlier in the year, and I think big things are in store for him the next 2 playoffs, and I want him to team up with Woody and Houser, making for a strong 1 2 3 then i get an opener for Peralta and sweep the 4 game series.

Lol, Houser a 3? Oh my. Come on man. Please just be realistic.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Easily a strong 3. Have you seen both of his FBs? His CB? His Slider? He’s arguably a potential #2. So yeah, a strong 3.

You know who is better? Zach Davies.

Easily a strong 3. Have you seen both of his FBs? His CB? His Slider? He’s arguably a potential #2. So yeah, a strong 3.

You know who is better? Zach Davies.

We’ll just see moving forward. Once Houser settles in as a starting pitcher again, which could take a few starts, the Houser doubters will be pleasantly surprised.

Zach Davies (Age 22-26):

40 total wins / 3.90 ERA / 1.318 WHIP / 110 ERA+ / 4.16 FIP

Trevor Bauer (Age 22-26):

46 total wins / 4.49 ERA / 1.439 WHIP / 95 ERA+ / 4.625 FIP

You are vastly ignoring Davies and the solid work he has put in for the Brewers because you are not wowed by his stuff. It is not a great way to judge a pitcher. A lot of guys have great stuff but can they actually use it?

Zach Davies (Age 22-26):

You are vastly ignoring Davies and the solid work he has put in for the Brewers because you are not wowed by his stuff. It is not a great way to judge a pitcher. A lot of guys have great stuff but can they actually use it?

Are you comparing Davies to Bauer? I hope not.

Davies is ok.

Bauer is a Verlander type horse that is able to throw more pitches and pitch deeper into games than any pitcher in baseball, that’s ready to explode this year and next.

Zach Davies (Age 22-26):

Are you comparing Davies to Bauer? I hope not.

Davies is ok.

Bauer is a Verlander type horse that is able to throw more pitches and pitch deeper into games than any pitcher in baseball, that’s ready to explode this year and next.

People disagree with you. A lot. I think a lot of it is because many of your ideas are pretty outlandish, and you take offense whenever they are challenged. That’s not a great way to maintain sanity on a fan message board. In my opinion (by the way, that phrase would suit you well often)

Archived