This year's deadline

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about this combo

Tanner Roark for Taylor Williams and Larry Ernesto

Robbie Ray for Corbin Burnes, Tristen Lutz and David Fry

Shane Greene for Zack Brown and Joe Gray

Roark for Ernesto who is hitting a whopping .236 in rookie ball and Williams who is the poster boy for AAAA players? A starter for two bums?

Burnes, Lutz, and Fry would be part of a pkg for Ray, not anywhere close to a complete pkg. Burnes has regressed horrendously, Lutz is hitting .241 with 119 Ks in 362 ABs, and Fry is just now getting to Appleton. The D'backs GM would be fired on the spot if he made that deal.

Gray hit .182 in Rk ball last year and is even worse this year. Brown has been so horrible at AAA (5.98 ERA - 111 hits and 58 ERs in only 86 IPs) he has next to no value other than a throw-in.

While the Brewers would love to make any of your deals, the other teams would laugh hysterically.

Community Moderator
How about this combo

Roark for Ernesto who is hitting a whopping .236 in rookie ball and Williams who is the poster boy for AAAA players? A starter for two bums?

Burnes, Lutz, and Fry would be part of a pkg for Ray, not anywhere close to a complete pkg. Burnes has regressed horrendously, Lutz is hitting .241 with 119 Ks in 362 ABs, and Fry is just now getting to Appleton. The D'backs GM would be fired on the spot if he made that deal.

Gray hit .182 in Rk ball last year and is even worse this year. Brown has been so horrible at AAA (5.98 ERA - 111 hits and 58 ERs in only 86 IPs) he has next to no value other than a throw-in.

While the Brewers would love to make any of your deals, the other teams would laugh hysterically.

Luckily teams base their player evaluations off more than a cursory glance at Baseball Reference. Referring to Williams and Ernesto as “bums” is much sillier than anything about those potential offers. Burnes and Lutz both still have plenty of trade value. The Shane Greene offer would likely require a better headliner piece (i.e. Mauricio Dubon), but saying Zack Brown has no value is hyperbole.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How about this combo

This is astoundingly short-sighted. It sure is a good thing that teams don't value players entirely on stats they put up in their teens. I would love to hear your realistic trade thoughts.

They really need at least one starter..at this point I'm on board with Robbie Ray, Zach Wheeler or Mike Minor(or two of 3).

As long as you have reasonable expectations.

This actually isn't that unreasonable. Especially if the baseline is not even considering a hypothetical trade of Hader(or Yelich for that matter) to the Pads for Tatis, Gore, Paddack and Mejia...

Don’t get what that has to do with anything..

So what's up with the waiver trade aspect of the july 31 deadline? Have all the waiver postings already happened? Not sure how the deadline date change impacts that side of things, because I feel like prior years had waiver postings happen over the first few weeks in august and gave teams well into that month to get a deal done.

With the nonwaiver trade market being very slow to get going, are waiver trades just not going to happen?

Beginning to think next to nothing significant happens over the next few days.

So what's up with the waiver trade aspect of the july 31 deadline? Have all the waiver postings already happened? Not sure how the deadline date change impacts that side of things, because I feel like prior years had waiver postings happen over the first few weeks in august and gave teams well in not that month to get a deal done.

With the nonwaiver trade market being very slow to get going, are waiver trades just not going to happen?

Beginning to think next to nothing significant happens over the next few days.

There are no more waiver trades....

My SS target would be Hanser Alberto from the Orioles

And who would you give up for him?

Marcos Diplan...it's a dead even trade...done.

I don't think Diplan is getting you anything of consequence. Though after looking closer at Alberto, the fact that he's struggled so badly vs right handers(sub .600 OPS) and all his value comes from hitting lefties where he has a .448 BABIP, that might fit the bill.

Not sure where he fits though. He's played 2nd and 3rd and we don't have much room at either. Unless we're selling Moose. Then I guess we platoon Shaw and Alberto.

Am I crazy for adding the recent reports together as a 2+2 scenario? Rosenthal reports earlier yesterday that the Brewers are looking to be creative in adding pitching and willing to deal Moose or Grandal if need be. Later yesterday, reports surface that the Mets are looking for major league talent that can help them win now for Syndergaard? Seems like not a lot of contending teams will want or be in a position to subtract from the major league roster like we apparently are... Am I missing something?

You might have to read other posts for context.

i know...Im the one that called out that guy by saying he wouldn't trade Hader for all of those guys.

Am I crazy for adding the recent reports together as a 2+2 scenario? Rosenthal reports earlier yesterday that the Brewers are looking to be creative in adding pitching and willing to deal Moose or Grandal if need be. Later yesterday, reports surface that the Mets are looking for major league talent that can help them win now for Syndergaard? Seems like not a lot of contending teams will want or be in a position to subtract from the major league roster like we apparently are... Am I missing something?

I took "major league talent that can help them win now" to mean players that can help in 2020 and maybe 2021 too, as opposed to 2019 rentals (Or prospects with a later ETA) because that wouldn't make much sense. But it's the Mets we're talking about here so what's sensible perhaps isn't a very good guide to what they'll do. And they were very much in on Grandal. Perhaps acquiring him now, hoping for a 2019 miracle, and having the ability to exclusively negotiate an extension with him is something they'd be interested in? Not something I consider at all likely, but just evaluating all possibilites.

You might have to read other posts for context.

i know...Im the oneone of the few dozen people that called out that guy by saying he wouldn't trade Hader for all of those guys.

Fixed.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think so. But we all have to start looking at things from a far less logical perspective when talking about a potential deal with the Mets.

Stroman only makes sense to ME if they want to turn around and flip him for more prospects. They did not pay much for him. They got two guys who aren't great prospects.

But I still don't think they'd do a trade that only helps them this year. I think it'd have to be someone under team control through next season at least. Otherwise, them trading Syndergaard for rentals, thereby lessening the prospect haul makes so much less sense.

I don't want to buy personally, but who says no to Grisham+Burnes+Arcia+another one of our prospects not named Hiura/Turang? Or take it a step further and throw in Dominic Smith and we add Shaw and maybe Turang?

IF defense is a big problem for the Mets, I'm trading Burnes as an up and coming young pitcher, I'm not lowering his value to what he's done this year if I'm the Brewers, they get Shaw to man 3rd for the next couple years, they get Arcia as a defensive stalwart, they get Grisham who could be called up today and can actually play OF defense. We get a good young 1B who probably can play LF if you need and I guess you hope Syndergaard goes back to being the type of pitcher he was in 2016.

Personally, I want to see what Grisham can actually do, is he really THIS good? But even if you do trade him, at least you're not trading him or any of these guys for a rental. This is the only type of deal that I could get behind. One that costs us, but where we get back controllable young talent.

Mets probably want more, but I thing Turang is a really valuable asset and I think his advanced approach will see him in Biloxi by the 2nd half of next year. So if he's going, I'd want a good, young, big-league bat coming back.

Community Moderator
More than half the teams in MLB are off today. There has to be an increase in player movement by tonight, right? Just seems like things should start to shake out at some point soon. That mid-afternoon (3pm central) deadline comes up really quick on Wednesday. I would think teams will start to at least get frameworks of potential deals in place today.

yep - your correct

:laughing

I know. I think Brewcrewin07 was just too focused on the Brewers and the idea of trading Hader or Yelich and not looking at the players in return. We can retire this now probably(unless he keeps arguing it I suppose).

More than half the teams in MLB are off today. There has to be an increase in player movement by tonight, right? Just seems like things should start to shake out at some point soon. That mid-afternoon (3pm central) deadline comes up really quick on Wednesday. I would think teams will start to at least get frameworks of potential deals in place today.

You would certainly think so...particularly the Brewers and their need for a Pitcher Tomm night. I don't think it's coincidence that they are not announcing it until closer to game time. That could mean Stearns felt like he had enough momentum to get something done by today and have that acquisition Pitch Tuesday or Wednesday

Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

30m

The Brewers are aggressively exploring upgrades in the rotation and bullpen. They have talked to many teams, discussing a wide-variety of scenarios. They are hopeful of completing at least a couple trades before the July 31 deadline.

Community Moderator
Robert Murray

@ByRobertMurray

·

30m

The Brewers are aggressively exploring upgrades in the rotation and bullpen. They have talked to many teams, discussing a wide-variety of scenarios. They are hopeful of completing at least a couple trades before the July 31 deadline.

A passage from Murray's article at The Athletic...

The Brewers are hopeful of acquiring one, if not two starting pitchers, before the trade deadline. But the search for upgrades isn’t just for starters. The team has been active in trade talks for relievers, sources said, with one executive that has talked to the Brewers saying they are “looking for lots of pitching, both starting and relieving.”

The article contains quotes from Yelich saying last year was a great example of what mid-season acquisitions can do for the team. It also mentions the Brewers are willing to acquire a starter and reliever in the same deal.

Archived