Brewer Fanatic

This year's deadline

I simply can't believe all the people that are willing to just give up on this year and trade Moose and Grandal. That baffles me..They are 2 games back...2! They sweep the Cubs this weekend and suddenly they lead the division..It can change just that quickly.

Actually no they likely would not, because the Cardinals are now in 1st as well.

With that said the weekend series definitely means a lot. As you said sweep and it changes everything. Get swept and you're 5 back and may as well sell. Really need to at least get 2 of 3 to really make a strong case to buy.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I simply can't believe all the people that are willing to just give up on this year and trade Moose and Grandal. That baffles me..They are 2 games back...2! They sweep the Cubs this weekend and suddenly they lead the division..It can change just that quickly.

Actually no they likely would not, because the Cardinals are now in 1st as well.

With that said the weekend series definitely means a lot. As you said sweep and it changes everything. Get swept and you're 5 back and may as well sell. Really need to at least get 2 of 3 to really make a strong case to buy.

Sure, if they get swept...yes, then I agree with you, but I do not under any circumstances expect that to happen...let me ask you this..if the trade deadline was tomorrow, would you buy or sell?? Keep in mind, you are two games back...just two, with a lot of baseball to be played yet.

You know how people get ridiculed for saying "ballgame" or "it's over" in the game threads if the Brewers get down early?? That's what this seems like to me..you(and many others) are saying "it's over" with 81/2 innings to go yet. Lot of ball game left.

Sure, if they get swept...yes, then I agree with you, but I do not under any circumstances expect that to happen...let me ask you this..if the trade deadline was tomorrow, would you buy or sell?? Keep in mind, you are two games back...just two, with a lot of baseball to be played yet.

You know how people get ridiculed for saying "ballgame" or "it's over" in the game threads if the Brewers get down early?? That's what this seems like to me..you(and many others) are saying "it's over" with 81/2 innings to go yet. Lot of ball game left.

That may be apt if this was June 25th and people were looking at a team around .500 and talking about selling. It's not.

To answer your question, buy or sell? Emphatically sell. Because if the only other option is buying, I'm not sure who we're giving up to get back talent. I think Turang is awesome. I love his game. He's not established enough to bring be the centerpiece to bring back an ace. And we're not an "ace" away from contending as of right now.

So..yeah, I'd consider selling everyone but probably Hiura, Yelich and Hader and the later only because I don't really thin we get fair value for him. But if we did get a Chapman like offer, I'd sell him as well.

You have to know when it's not your year and it's not the Brewers year. Nelson's total inability to pitch after coming back was demoralizing, Woodruff's big breakout year is not a big set back as he's out for at least 6 weeks(I wouldn't be surprised if he made his last start also), Shaw and Aguilar, two legitimate middle of the order hitters the last two years started off just awful.

This is when smart teams like the A's or Rays last year when they were in a similar position as we are now decided to sell Archer. They were competitive, but they know it'd be better to take a step back, let the young guys play and come back at it next year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

That may be apt if this was June 25th and people were looking at a team around .500 and talking about selling. It's not.

To answer your question, buy or sell? Emphatically sell. Because if the only other option is buying, I'm not sure who we're giving up to get back talent. I think Turang is awesome. I love his game. He's not established enough to bring be the centerpiece to bring back an ace. And we're not an "ace" away from contending as of right now.

So..yeah, I'd consider selling everyone but probably Hiura, Yelich and Hader and the later only because I don't really thin we get fair value for him. But if we did get a Chapman like offer, I'd sell him as well.

You have to know when it's not your year and it's not the Brewers year. Nelson's total inability to pitch after coming back was demoralizing, Woodruff's big breakout year is not a big set back as he's out for at least 6 weeks(I wouldn't be surprised if he made his last start also), Shaw and Aguilar, two legitimate middle of the order hitters the last two years started off just awful.

This is when smart teams like the A's or Rays last year when they were in a similar position as we are now decided to sell Archer. They were competitive, but they know it'd be better to take a step back, let the young guys play and come back at it next year.

Okay, if that's your approach and I'm playing devil's advocate..what IF you do that and then don't sniff the playoffs again for the forseeable future?? Because keep in mind, that is ENTIRELY possible, then was it worth it?? What if the prospects you get, never pan out?? Again, entirely possible. And, what IF Stearns does make a couple of moves, and even if they aren't HUGE moves, they are enough to give the team a jolt and the ystart playing really good baseball after that?? That is far from unprecedented you know. Exhibit A...the Cubs after acquiring Quintana, and many other examples as well.

You mention Turang and say he isn't established enough to bring back a centerpiece, which means he is a long ways from contributing to the major league club..so again, I would ask you, what if you do what you do, and you still don't contend again now for a number of years?? What if all the prospects you bring back in these trades wash out?? Don't you owe it to Yelich for as long as he's here to be as competitive as you can be?? To try to win as many games you can and legitimately make a push to make the playoffs(when they are within reach, like now)??

I mentioned it before, and I will ask again, did ANYONE see what the giants are currently doing, coming?? I will answer that for you..not a single person associated with baseball in any way shape or form saw this coming. No one. They have been on such a tear lately(and with far less overall talent then the Brewers have) that I saw earlier, they are now considering buying..because they are IN IT. The Brewers are ahead of them in the standings...that would be an awfully terrible look if the Giants of all teams were buyers at the deadline, and the Brewers weren't.

Hmmmm

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

57s

Replying to

@AdamMcCalvy

For the record, David Stearns declined for now to answer these questions pending an official transaction. So, speculate away!

Something is up. Moose plays 3B daily and Hiura plays 2B daily. Shaw/Aguilar/Thames platoon doesn't sound plausible. Shaw in a soft platoon with Moose at 3B and Hiura at 2B doesn't sound likely either. For me, the most likely candidates to move are Thames (so Shaw platoons at 1B with his eventual transition there for 2020) or Hiura (moved for a TOR arm).

Verified Member
Hmmmm

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

57s

Replying to

@AdamMcCalvy

For the record, David Stearns declined for now to answer these questions pending an official transaction. So, speculate away!

Something is up. Moose plays 3B daily and Hiura plays 2B daily. Shaw/Aguilar/Thames platoon doesn't sound plausible. Shaw in a soft platoon with Moose at 3B and Hiura at 2B doesn't sound likely either. For me, the most likely candidates to move are Thames (so Shaw platoons at 1B with his eventual transition there for 2020) or Hiura (moved for a TOR arm).

They could easily go with 12 pitchers for awhile too. After the off day on Monday there is a 9 day game stretch and then they don't play more than 6 days in a row for a couple of weeks--and then it's September call-up time. Or they could put somebody with nagging injuries on the IL at some point (Hiura/Braun/Thames). It would be an awkward roster coming out of Spring Training, but you can make just about anything work for a month with 6 off days.

Hmmmm

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

57s

Replying to

@AdamMcCalvy

They could easily go with 12 pitchers for awhile too. After the off day on Monday there is a 9 day game stretch and then they don't play more than 6 days in a row for a couple of weeks--and then it's September call-up time. Or they could put somebody with nagging injuries on the IL at some point (Hiura/Braun/Thames). It would be an awkward roster coming out of Spring Training, but you can make just about anything work for a month with 6 off days.

I guess I am skeptical more from a standpoint of Shaw not being a bench bat. Short of a trade and/or Thames going to the IL, I would rather have Moose and Hiura playing daily in MLB and Shaw playing daily in MiLB.

One of Shaw/Thames/Agui can be used as DH against Oakland

I mean if that was their intent, why not just wait until Sunday to call him up before the Oakland series?? They are facing two lefties against the Cubs..now makes ZERO sense, UNLESS there is something else going on that forces him to be in the lineup.

Okay, if that's your approach and I'm playing devil's advocate..what IF you do that and then don't sniff the playoffs again for the forseeable future?? Because keep in mind, that is ENTIRELY possible, then was it worth it?? What if the prospects you get, never pan out?? Again, entirely possible. And, what IF Stearns does make a couple of moves, and even if they aren't HUGE moves, they are enough to give the team a jolt and the ystart playing really good baseball after that?? That is far from unprecedented you know. Exhibit A...the Cubs after acquiring Quintana, and many other examples as well.

I'm not playing hypotheticals. You asked a question, I answered it. and I actually meant April 25th. You're saying that we're saying the game is over with 8 and a half innings to go. APRIL 25th would be more appropriate. Certainly not 100 games into the season.

And the Brewers aren't comparable to the Cubs when they traded for Quintana. They're not nearly as talented. And they gave up a stupid amount for him. I would almost guarantee they would regret making that move right now. Jimenez and Cease both look like future stars if not superstars.

I mean if that was their intent, why not just wait until Sunday to call him up before the Oakland series?? They are facing two lefties against the Cubs..now makes ZERO sense, UNLESS there is something else going on that forces him to be in the lineup.

Because they don’t need another SP right now so why not call up another bat that can help you score more runs?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You mention Turang and say he isn't established enough to bring back a centerpiece, which means he is a long ways from contributing to the major league club..so again, I would ask you, what if you do what you do, and you still don't contend again now for a number of years?? What if all the prospects you bring back in these trades wash out?? Don't you owe it to Yelich for as long as he's here to be as competitive as you can be?? To try to win as many games you can and legitimately make a push to make the playoffs(when they are within reach, like now)??

I mentioned it before, and I will ask again, did ANYONE see what the giants are currently doing, coming?? I will answer that for you..not a single person associated with baseball in any way shape or form saw this coming. No one. They have been on such a tear lately(and with far less overall talent then the Brewers have) that I saw earlier, they are now considering buying..because they are IN IT. The Brewers are ahead of them in the standings...that would be an awfully terrible look if the Giants of all teams were buyers at the deadline, and the Brewers weren't.

Ok, that was from the same post. But you're putting words in my mouth. Just because he's not that highly regarded yet...he was drafted just last year and is still just a teenager, he's already progressed to HiA. That means he could be up next year. I wouldn't count on it, but I think he's a special talent.

As for your other two points, I don't give a damn what the Giants are doing. I really, really don't. I remember watching the Brewers win 12 in a row during a ~100 loss season. It was one of their first in Miller Park. A hot stretch doesn't make a team a contender and it's not even OUR team? I don't get what point you think you're making by saying, "look, this team just won a lot of games." Great. They're not us. The conversation is about us. If we had just won 16 of 19, I probably would feel differently, but they didn't.

And no, you don't "owe it" to Yelich to trade prospects because they MIGHT wash out in the future. You don't "owe" Yelich a damn thing other than his salary. You(as in the Brewers organization) owe it to the fan base to make the smartest decisions. That probably means making a couple trades and seeing what you can get for the guys who you don't have room to protect on the 40 man this off-season.

But feel free to feel differently. I'm not here demanding you agree with my opinion that we should sell. Just PLEASE stop with the stupid "what if's" when it comes to prospects? It's a pointless hypothetical argument that ignores the fact that virtually every good, sustained run from a small-mid market team is built upon a foundation of developing your own talent. Not drafting a guy who some talked about being the first pick, watching him excel in his first full year and then trade him because...hey, he's just a prospect. Mike Trout, just a prospect at one point. Yelich, just a prospect at one point.

Also, selling certainly isn't just about prospects as you're not likely to get that much back for Grandal and Moose.

Sell, pick up some pieces, save some money for this year, go with the younger guys a bit more and then next year when you're getting Knebel back, Wahl back, Rasmussen is likely ready, you can re-load. You also have several other guys coming up through the pipeline in Supak, Ponce, Grisham, Dubon, all could be contributors(plus a number I didn't mention).

But yeah, it's fine to have a different opinion bud. I get it. You don't want to sell. But given the choice between buying and selling right now, I do want to sell and the old, tired, "what ifs" about prospects not panning out and maybe we never get back here...I put zero stock in. Prospects not panning out is baked into every consideration about team building. It's not something that's new to almost anyone on this board. It's not this unique or strange new point of view. We all get how it works.

Finally, I REALLY hope David Stearns doesn't do anything because it'd "be a bad look" compared to what the Giants are doing. And I've seen that the Giants are still considering selling their franchise pitcher. So people can "see" lots of things lots of different places. It doesn't make them particularly credible.

But let me ask you this. How did it work out for the Pirates when they got on a hot streak last year and then shipped out 3 highly regarded players for an "established" starting pitcher? Hilariously bad. Doing the same stupid thing the Pirates did last year. Now THAT'D be a bad look(except as of now, we'd be doing it without any momentum leading up to the trade).

Because they don’t need another SP right now so why not call up another bat that can help you score more runs?

But my point is...they face two lefties, so he wouldn't play those games for sure(if they held to what they were doing with him previously) so basically he'd be a PH against RH's. Ist hat really worth it for what 1 or 2 AB's in the series?? If the intent only is to use him as the DH for the Oakland series, why not just wait??

And even moreso, when McCalvy asked Stearns how it was all going to work, where Travis would play etc, why did he decline to comment?? He could have simply said something like "it's a nice problem to have and we will figure it all out".??

But my point is...they face two lefties, so he wouldn't play those games for sure(if they held to what they were doing with him previously) so basically he'd be a PH against RH's. Ist hat really worth it for what 1 or 2 AB's in the series?? If the intent only is to use him as the DH for the Oakland series, why not just wait??

And even moreso, when McCalvy asked Stearns how it was all going to work, where Travis would play etc, why did he decline to comment?? He could have simply said something like "it's a nice problem to have and we will figure it all out".??

You rather have Saladino coming off the bench as a pinch hitter? Maybe there is a move to be made but it doesn’t make sense to wait two games to make this move. They have a roster spot to fill.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You rather have Saladino coming off the bench as a pinch hitter? Maybe there is a move to be made but it doesn’t make sense to wait two games to make this move. They have a roster spot to fill.

This. Shaw is probably the best non-starting bat on the 40 to possibly have for this pivotal series. You lose nothing by having that option, there's zero to be gained by bringing a starter up before his start date, so taking the extra bench depth makes sense.

It's not impossible that there is a move forthcoming but it's also entirely possible that it's just basic roster management.

My real question is when the next move comes due if they dare option Saladino to keep the vastly superior bat, planning to start Arcia daily for now and just figure it out on the fly in an emergency situation if Arcia were needed to be pulled.

No, but Saladino is a RH hitter...Shaw is a LH hitter. They used to sit Shaw against lefties before, so assuming they would do that again, he wouldn't play against the LH starters(Aguilar would), which then means when a RH came in from the bullpen, you would also have the LH hitting Thames to use as a PH, as well as the LH Ben Gamel. Sure, he would strengthen the bench against RH relievers I suppose, but the timing of this just seems odd. Why call him up just to use him as a PH?? Yeah you have an open roster spot, but my instincts tell me this is being done for more than just a couple of PH appearances against the Cubs. maybe I'm wrong, but I also find Stearns's(no comment) VERY interesting. It's not like there is any competitive advantage in baseball by withholding comment on this stuff until the last possible minute. The NFL, yes, baseball?? not so much.

No, but Saladino is a RH hitter...Shaw is a LH hitter. They used to sit Shaw against lefties before, so assuming they would do that again, he wouldn't play against the LH starters(Aguilar would), which then means when a RH came in from the bullpen, you would also have the LH hitting Thames to use as a PH, as well as the LH Ben Gamel. Sure, he would strengthen the bench against RH relievers I suppose, but the timing of this just seems odd. Why call him up just to use him as a PH?? Yeah you have an open roster spot, but my instincts tell me this is being done for more than just a couple of PH appearances against the Cubs. maybe I'm wrong, but I also find Stearns's(no comment) VERY interesting. It's not like there is any competitive advantage in baseball by withholding comment on this stuff until the last possible minute. The NFL, yes, baseball?? not so much.

Hiura isn't going back to the bench for Shaw at this point anyway against RH or LH, so I don't see what it matters if Shaw is right or left handed. The timing of this is simply due to the timing of the injuries and the lack of need for a 5th starter for the next few days.

Hmmmm

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

57s

Replying to

@AdamMcCalvy

Could point to a Aguilar to the Rays type deal. The Brewers can play Shaw at 1st. Kinda hurts the lineup vs lefties, but...there's that.

Cubs bullpen is almost entirely RH - Kimbrel, Strop, Cishek, Kintzler, Chatwood. Kyle Ryan the only LHRP of note, and he's been mostly used as a LOOGY.

First game is against a RHP (Hendricks) though. Anything can happen after that game.

Weren't you JUST saying that this series could decide the Brewers season? So if they were going to bring him up anyway after the series, having an extra left-handed bat off the bench hardly seems like a bad thing for "just one or two" of the most important games of the year...according to you.

And why Stearns did or didn't comment is such an open-ended question. There are a million variables.

Verified Member

My real question is when the next move comes due if they dare option Saladino to keep the vastly superior bat, planning to start Arcia daily for now and just figure it out on the fly in an emergency situation if Arcia were needed to be pulled.

Yep. I think this is the most likely scenario. Arcia is young and there are lots of off days coming up, so it's not like we NEED a backup SS daily. If Arcia gets hurt you deal with it in game the best you can and immediately put Saladino or Dubon or Perez on a plane to MKE. September is just around the corner.

Hmmmm

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

·

57s

Replying to

@AdamMcCalvy

Could point to a Aguilar to the Rays type deal. The Brewers can play Shaw at 1st. Kinda hurts the lineup vs lefties, but...there's that.

And that’s why it has to be Thames or Hiura in my opinion. Brewers would be susceptible to LHP with Shaw and Thames in that 1B platoon.

Archived