Brewer Fanatic

The Madison Bumgarner Thread: Burnes for Bumgarner [and other trade ideas]: would you do it?

I hope this isn't getting traction. I'm no fan of this guy, or what it will end up costing to get him...Wonder if there is a chance that Will Smith will come along with him if a deal does get done?

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Astros, Twins, Braves, and Brewers are among the teams showing interest in Giants starter Madison Bumgarner.

Bumgarner made an early exit from his final start of the first half after getting hit on the left elbow by a line drive, but X-rays came back negative and he is lined up to pitch Saturday in Milwaukee. The 29-year-old impending free agent has registered a 4.03 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 115/24 K/BB ratio in 111 2/3 innings (19 starts) this season. The Astros, Braves, and Brewers are on his no-trade list -- the Twins are not -- but that shouldn't have much of an impact on the Giants' ability to conduct trade negotiations. Rosenthal notes that Bumgarner compiled the list "strategically" based on "the teams he figured might want him most."

Source: The Athletic

Jul 8, 2019, 11:15 AM ET

My guess is a lot of teams will have similar offers and Bumgarner will pick the team he wants to play on from about 3-4 teams. That or whoever makes the best offer has to send him some sort of financial kicker. I hope communication is generally good so the Giants don't end up with a Lucroy veto situation.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dubon makes a ton of sense here as he could start at 2b with Crawford at SS but him being MLB ready with 6yrs control is super difficult for me to want to part with for 2 months of Bumgarner. I just think Dubon's skill set is what the Brewers need from the SS spot at this point in time. Brown makes sense. I'd pass on targeting MadBum as there will be a bidding war and no way Stearns wins that with the capital we have.

This is not the year of woulda,, coulda, shoulda. The Brewers will get the pieces needed this year, again largely because of Moose and Grandal being FA next year. It is the train track that the team is on.

The year before Verlander was traded he was runner up for the Cy Young. I would hesitate to give much up for Bumgarner as he has been on a slow decline the last few years (a lot because of injury). I would go less than the Cubs went for Hamels. Cashner would be a better rental IMO.

I will say that Bumgarner had the look of really starting to heat up prior to taking one off the elbow. He had a 4.28 ERA and an 8.7 K/9 after a June 20 game, but in three starts after that had posted a 2.40 ERA and a 13.2 K/9. And most of those innings were against the Rockies and Diamondbacks. Both in San Francisco so he had the home park working for him, but neither of those teams have slouch offenses. I'd been the guy saying all along that it's unlikely that teams will step up and meet the Giants demands, which I think will be pretty big (Giants will need at least 2x a reasonable surplus value calculation?...all speculation on my part). But strikeout pitchers are hot...and a guy who goes on a late June/July run and is able to post a 13.2 K/9, even over a relatively modest amount of innings...demand for a guy like that could dramatically shoot up in baseball's current environment.

Community Moderator
I will say that Bumgarner had the look of really starting to heat up prior to taking one off the elbow. He had a 4.28 ERA and an 8.7 K/9 after a June 20 game, but in three starts after that had posted a 2.40 ERA and a 13.2 K/9. And most of those innings were against the Rockies and Diamondbacks. Both in San Francisco so he had the home park working for him, but neither of those teams have slouch offenses. I'd been the guy saying all along that it's unlikely that teams will step up and meet the Giants demands, which I think will be pretty big (Giants will need at least 2x a reasonable surplus value calculation?...all speculation on my part). But strikeout pitchers are hot...and a guy who goes on a late June/July run and is able to post a 13.2 K/9, even over a relatively modest amount of innings...demand for a guy like that could dramatically shoot up in baseball's current environment.

Interesting observations. Below is a passage from that Ken Rosenthal article in The Athletic citing the adjustment he’s made:

Execs claiming not to be all that enamored of Bumgarner are citing his hard-hit rate, which is the highest in the National League according to FanGraphs. Their point is not without merit, but Bumgarner recently made an adjustment in which he began using both sides of the plate to a greater extent.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived