Brewer Fanatic

NBA Draft Thread

patrickgpe

With the season for the bucks ending, i think its finally appropriate to start figuring out what they are going to do with the 30th pick.

My favorite possible selection is Cameron Johnson from NC. Not much upside, but he can shoot which the bucks proved they could use another one.

Other possibilities in order:

2) Ty Jerome , PG UVA, again not much of a project but would fill in nicely if Brodgon leaves in FA.

3) Amir Hinton, SG Shaw This pick is as crazy as when the bucks took Thon Maker at 10. He isn't really on any draft board but I did read that the bucks are scouting him and some compared his game to Wade. This would be the pick if the bucks want to buy a lottery ticket to see if they can get a superstar that they develop.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the season for the bucks ending, i think its finally appropriate to start figuring out what they are going to do with the 30th pick.

My favorite possible selection is Cameron Johnson from NC. Not much upside, but he can shoot which the bucks proved they could use another one.

Other possibilities in order:

2) Ty Jerome , PG UVA, again not much of a project but would fill in nicely if Brodgon leaves in FA.

3) Amir Hinton, SG Shaw This pick is as crazy as when the bucks took Thon Maker at 10. He isn't really on any draft board but I did read that the bucks are scouting him and some compared his game to Wade. This would be the pick if the bucks want to buy a lottery ticket to see if they can get a superstar that they develop.

There are a few guys I really like, but Jontay Porter could be a guy who could develop and REALLY fit in well with the Bucks. I think if he played this year, he could have played himself into being a top 5 pick. A 6'10 big man who has really soft hands, people rave about his BB IQ, he's a great passer and he could be an ideal stretch 5.

Not real physical, and he's coming off a torn ACL that caused him to miss his second season at Mizzou. But a torn ACL is a relatively small risk when you're talking about a guy who could become a potential All Star.

After that, I've always wanted the Bucks to have a DeAndre Jordan/Clint Capella TYPE player. I don't expect someone we draft at 30 to develop into that, but a big man who can get double-digit rebounds and be a rim protector.

Two guys I like who should be available in that area are that Maryland big Fernando and the big from Arkansas Daniel Gafford.

The latter really looks like a guy with the potential to turn into a really good player.

A would really big nice, especially since we don't have any picks the following year and we still owe another future 1st, but I don't see one in that range that I really watched play and know enough about to have a strong opinion right now.

Jontay Porter though...he doesn't come with the big name that his brother did last year...the guy who was the projected #1 pick before ever playing a college game and then fell due to those back issues, but man...he's got the right attributes to develop and fit perfectly with Giannis on the offensive end.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'm in favor of drafting and stashing for this draft.

I'd like to see them buy a second round pick to "stash" this year as well.

Either way, it's important that they get someone who can be a good role player this year.

The other option would be to use it in order to cut some more salary. Package this 1st and Snell to get a veteran back PG like we did with Hill.

I like your thinking, Porter could develop into a stretch 5, and end up being a Brook Lopez type player.

The type of player we were hoping Thon would turn into. Again, I don't really watch a lot of CBB outside the tourney, but he stood out a little bit last year as being a pretty interesting big.

I saw that write up on Amir Hinton. Must have been you that posted it and where they compared him to Wade and said the Bucks were scouting him. Just looking at the little bit they have on him, he looks like the type of guy you'd like to pick and hope he turns into something.

The Bucks certainly aren't afraid to take big swings in the draft. They picked a tall skinny guy from Greece's second division a while back and he's looking alright. Although Skip Bayless doesn't think he's got that "killer mentality" because he's European....so I guess we'll have to live with that :rolleyes

And even though it didn't work out, I liked that they picked Maker. I assumed with him working with Giannis, he'd improve more, but not everyone is going to be able to match Giannis' work ethic and results.

What about Mfiondu Kabengele from FSU? He is not all that quick and there have been some questions about his passing ability that would need to improve at the next level but I really love his defense as he excels at blocking shots and he is a rather good at getting offensive rebounds and rebounds in general. Would be a project going forward in terms of passing and ball handling.

Also Jalen McDaniels he could be a fit but I think he needs to develop a 3-pt shot.

I have also seen Isaiah Roby linked to the Bucks. Not sure how I feel about that.

What about Mfiondu Kabengele from FSU? He is not all that quick and there have been some questions about his passing ability that would need to improve at the next level but I really love his defense as he excels at blocking shots and he is a rather good at getting offensive rebounds and rebounds in general. Would be a project going forward in terms of passing and ball handling.

Also Jalen McDaniels he could be a fit but I think he needs to develop a 3-pt shot.

I have also seen Isaiah Roby linked to the Bucks. Not sure how I feel about that.

I watched Kabengele play parts of 5 or 6 games this year and that's' only because I'm a bandwagon FSU fan from when I was a kid, so I'd watch if I saw them on. He definitely looks like he could play that role of both rim protector and stretch big for us.

Only concern with him is that he seems too likely to be gone by the time the Bucks pick as opposed to some of the other guys being mentioned.

I don't know how long he is exactly, I just recall them talking about how his wingspan would serve him well at the next level. So another guy that seems like he'd fit in very well with the Bucks. Maybe a Siakam type guy...but a little bigger. They could really use that next to Giannis.

One thing that could make a big difference in his long term health and ability to go through the playoff grind is havng another player who can pick up some of the slack on the defensive end during the regular season. If we can keep using him like we did this year, keep his minutes around 33 per game, let him sit 10-15 games a year, I think that'll be good for him.

As freakishly as he's built himself, it's unlikely he can withstand the pounding LeBron has taken. I'm pretty amazed LeBron has withstood it.

I know very little about the other two you mentioned, but they both look like guys the Bucks could target. Long, athletic, capable of defending multiple positions.

Why are there SO many more 6'9 guys with 7'3 wingspans who can defend and are great athletes than just competent PG's? It seemed like there were always 2 or 3 PG's who'd come out who'd be later first-round picks who had been 2-3 year college starters and who knew how to run a team at least at the college level. I'm not seeing any in the Bucks range, but all these freakishly talented bigs.

Shooting is obviously important here. Cam Johnson and Dylan Wilder could be options around our area. Herro too if he drops.

Agree on the recent post about a PG would be the ideal position to get a competent role playing backup due to likely losing Hill. The FVV/Josh Hart types of years past.

Obligatory "Ethan Happ!" suggestion. :laughing

Seriously though, I doubt this group wastes a draft pick or 2-way contract on a Wisconsin player with no chance at making the NBA. Gotta assume they all learned a lesson from giving Bronson Koenig a 2-way contract.

Seriously though, I doubt this group wastes a draft pick or 2-way contract on a Wisconsin player with no chance at making the NBA. Gotta assume they all learned a lesson from giving Bronson Koenig a 2-way contract.

Man...I can't think of a worse fit for the Bucks. Yet there will be people clamoring for him and then complaining after the draft that we could have but didn't pick him.

I will say though, I didn't mind them giving Koenig a shot.

Shooting is obviously important here. Cam Johnson and Dylan Wilder could be options around our area. Herro too if he drops.

Agree on the recent post about a PG would be the ideal position to get a competent role playing backup due to likely losing Hill. The FVV/Josh Hart types of years past.

Man I dislike him. I dislike him as much as I can possibly dislike a guy who didn't actually do anything wrong OTHER than going from a 12 pct 3 point shooter to hitting 10 of 12 in the last two games to end the Bucks season.

Although if you listen to Skippy Bayless, the reason the Bucks season ended was because Giannis doesn't have that "killer mentality." And that's because they learn to play a different style in Europe. :rolleyes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Man I dislike him. I dislike him as much as I can possibly dislike a guy who didn't actually do anything wrong OTHER than going from a 12 pct 3 point shooter to hitting 10 of 12 in the last two games to end the Bucks season.

Although if you listen to Skippy Bayless, the reason the Bucks season ended was because Giannis doesn't have that "killer mentality." And that's because they learn to play a different style in Europe. :rolleyes

Your first mistake was listening to anything Skip Bayless says.

Your first mistake was listening to anything Skip Bayless says.

I certainly can't argue with that...

I think its pretty well known that I am no fan of the UW program, but if the bucks want to give these guys 2 way contracts, I do not care. They are for little money and they are easy to get out from under and you move on to the next one. I'm pretty sure that the 2 guys the bucks originally signed 2 way contracts with was not the team before the bucks broke camp (and maybe even before they began camp)

Certainly an FVV type would make sense. Mo Williams was originally a 2nd-round pick. Seems you can get guys like that. I can't really object to the Bucks drafting for need considering they're a contender, and sometimes you see little guys develop faster. It's not like a 7-footer who's still gaining body control or filling out.

I think its pretty well known that I am no fan of the UW program, but if the bucks want to give these guys 2 way contracts, I do not care. They are for little money and they are easy to get out from under and you move on to the next one. I'm pretty sure that the 2 guys the bucks originally signed 2 way contracts with was not the team before the bucks broke camp (and maybe even before they began camp)

It's not that you can't move on from them; it's that you miss out on some of the best 2-way candidates if you waste time on lost causes, because they will have already been scooped up by some other team. Granted, the chances of getting a rotation player are very slim, but that doesn't justify wasting the chance recklessly. That would be like drafting Happ late in the 2nd; unlikely to get a good player anyway, but that doesn't excuse a "may as well draft the UW guy" cavalier attitude about the lost opportunity.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know he's old but I really like Aubrey Dawkins at UCF.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Guys like him and Cam Johnson could be the types a team in MKE's position need to target. High floor guys where you kind of know what you're going to get and should be minimum rotation players even if they don't have 'star' potential. Same logic as to when they got Brogdon. They're about to get put in a painful cap space situation, finding bench role players for cheap late in the 1st and with 2nds could be very helpful. Essentially if you can get a couple rotation spots filled for league min it would really help ease the cap/tax bill. I guess just saying in their situation I'd target these folks over boom/bust upside guys.

i HATE this about the NBA draft. Brodgon fell in the draft, because he actually stayed in school 4 years. If a player can play, he can play. In fact, players like Dawkins are actually ready to contribute on the NBA level rather than these projects that need 2-3 seasons before they do anything. In my initial post, I suggested Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome, who are older players and will fall simply because they have less upside than other players who haven't done nearly as much in college.

The bucks are in WIN NOW mode, not in build for the future. I would hate a draft and stash player at 30. I want someone who can help now.

i HATE this about the NBA draft. Brodgon fell in the draft, because he actually stayed in school 4 years. If a player can play, he can play. In fact, players like Dawkins are actually ready to contribute on the NBA level rather than these projects that need 2-3 seasons before they do anything. In my initial post, I suggested Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome, who are older players and will fall simply because they have less upside than other players who haven't done nearly as much in college.

The bucks are in WIN NOW mode, not in build for the future. I would hate a draft and stash player at 30. I want someone who can help now.

I'm not particularly enthralled with Dawkins based on the scouting report I read on him, but this is ridiculous. He's 24. That's old for the draft, but it still gives him 10 years of his athletic prime to play the game. That's plenty.

I completely agree with you. It's certainly fun to see the young guy who is raw get picked, but they never turn into Giannis. The value is often with the guys who stay in school on a winning team, play smart BB and excel at a couple of things. Dawkins does sound like a good 3 and D guy. Not much more to his game...but if you already have a big time playmaker, what more do you need?

Archived