Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-28: Brewers (Davies) at Twins (Smeltzer) [Brewers lose, 5-3 — Crew strands 3 leadoff extra base hits and struggles against lefty starter making MLB debut; Davies pitches 6 scoreless innings]

Eye Black

Why not start Davies that 4th time through, and at the first sign of trouble, replace him?

Why would this not work?

I know it is a sin to question King CC, but the way he handles the bullpen is often confusing. Was last year too.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is Counsell continues to insist that Claudio can and should face RHB. They OPS 1.147 against him, while LHB ops .467 against him. If he was a traditional one batter LOOGY, he'd be fine, but Counsell refuses to use him that way, despite all the data saying that's exactly what he should be.

Next year Claudio won't be able to be a LOOGY, so he might be out of a job.

Yup, and now sadly for Claudiohe needs to be DFA'd to protect us from CC misusing him. It would be like putting Aguilar in CF, he has no chance for success.

Twins have 8 (soon to be 9) wins against winning clubs. 28 wins against teams with losing records. Why do Brewers always play down to lesser talented teams?

I think that is more of a product of the Brewers being a slightly above average team.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I agree with the decision. Was putting up zeros but getting hit pretty hard. Bullpen just dumpstered the game on us.

Yep. Leaving Davies in is a hindsight is 20/20 decision. You gotta have faith in your late inning guys to keep the game competitive. If they can't, then perhaps they shouldn't be your late inning relievers.

The problem is Counsell continues to insist that Claudio can and should face RHB. They OPS 1.147 against him, while LHB ops .467 against him. If he was a traditional one batter LOOGY, he'd be fine, but Counsell refuses to use him that way, despite all the data saying that's exactly what he should be.

Yup, and now sadly for Claudiohe needs to be DFA'd to protect us from CC misusing him. It would be like putting Kotsay in CF, he has no chance for success.

Corrected, or just being a smart arse...

Yup, and now sadly for Claudiohe needs to be DFA'd to protect us from CC misusing him. It would be like putting Aguilar in CF, he has no chance for success.

Sheesh. Claudio has two options remaining. He was a good reliever for several years with the Rangers. Those options were a big selling point with him. He isn't getting DFA'd. Optioned maybe, but no way DFA'd.

I agree with the decision. Was putting up zeros but getting hit pretty hard. Bullpen just dumpstered the game on us.

Yep. Leaving Davies in is a hindsight is 20/20 decision. You gotta have faith in your late inning guys to keep the game competitive. If they can't, then perhaps they shouldn't be your late inning relievers.

I get it, but faith in Claudio is not wise, and that is not just a hindsight 20/20 thing.

Twins have 8 (soon to be 9) wins against winning clubs. 28 wins against teams with losing records. Why do Brewers always play down to lesser talented teams?

Pretty misleading. Twins are 4-3 vs. Astros, 1-2 each vs Yankees and Phillies, and haven't played too many teams that have winning records yet. After tonight they'll be 8-9 against teams with .500 records, which is obviously not great, but I think that's just misleading. The only thing you can do is play the schedule that you have in front of you.

They're 36 -17 because they're a good team.

I don’t think splitting a two game series is a good way to judge how we play against a team.

Frustrating. Would love to know the dynamic between Stearns and Counsell when it comes to guys like Claudio and Aguilar who clearly are not getting the job done. Who has to be the grownup in the room and say we need to fix this. You cannot in this era play with 22 men every night.

I would prefer our manager figure out who should and should not be a late inning pitcher without finding out the hard way. Claudio's 5.5 ERA and 1.100 OPS against RHB are a few pointers

I get it, but faith in Claudio is not wise, and that is not just a hindsight 20/20 thing.

Questioning why Claudio is a late inning reliever with the way he's pitched is a whole different argument. It's tough to question going to the pen in that spot. It is easy to question who they went to, though.

Sheesh. Claudio has two options remaining. He was a good reliever for several years with the Rangers. Those options were a big selling point with him. He isn't getting DFA'd. Optioned maybe, but no way DFA'd.

OK fine, just no more innings that count in the majors

Questioning why Claudio is a late inning reliever with the way he's pitched is a whole different argument. It's tough to question going to the pen in that spot. It is easy to question who they went to, though.

Taking Davies out before he gets to the 4th rollover of the lineup is absolutely the right call. Using Claudio against any RHB at all is the wrong call.

Twins announcers been talking last 2 days about how Kepler has been crushing left handed pitchers so not surprised with the double off the wall vs Claudio. Claudio is staying, no way is Stearns cutting him loose, not after giving up a pick, although I’m sure he wishes a do over, especially since they changed the rules right after the trade.

That was a good choice to go to Claudio. He has been electric vs. LHB all year and there were three to start the inning.

-Soft Liner single (okay)

-2B pretty much blows an out

-Double...okay oww. Take him out

- Double (Counsell=Not Smart Idea)

It didn’t work, won’t always work. Who knows if Hiura gets an out and Guerra comes in a batter earlier. Certainly likely it isn’t 5 runs.

They aren’t going to avoid dropping him after some silly pick they gave up. People don’t care about that pick anymore, they do care when a guy constantly sucks though. Use him like a LOOGY and long run the results will be way nicer.

With regard to Claudio, has he ever been on a team expected to contend? Just an honest question for a pitcher who I can't get past feeling is always on the brink of either giving up a gopher ball or walking two straight batters - it's tough not to see that when the radar gun never gets close to 90 and there is nothing close to pinpoint command coming g from him.

His career numbers back up the acquisition...however the circumstances Claudio achieved thise numbers may not be similar at all to his current situation.

Community Moderator
Normally I wouldn’t bemoan missed opportunities in a game with a 3-run deficit, but tonight seems like one that could be going so much better than the current score indicates.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived