Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-28: Brewers (Davies) at Twins (Smeltzer) [Brewers lose, 5-3 — Crew strands 3 leadoff extra base hits and struggles against lefty starter making MLB debut; Davies pitches 6 scoreless innings]

Eye Black
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the replay, the 2B umpire did not make a call (the ump closest to Braun). Braun asked the 3B ump if it was a catch, and the ump (from what I saw) did not give any kind of affirmative or no-catch call, so Braun was kind of hung out to dry. It looked like Sedar was pointing back at 2B, but by then Braun was a dead duck.

That's not "idiotic", it's just a weird play where the guy just got hung up not knowing what to do.

From the replay, the 2B umpire did not make a call (the ump closest to Braun). Braun asked the 3B ump if it was a catch, and the ump (from what I saw) did not give any kind of affirmative or no-catch call, so Braun was kind of hung out to dry. It looked like Sedar was pointing back at 2B, but by then Braun was a dead duck.

That's not "idiotic", it's just a weird play where the guy just got hung up not knowing what to do.

Yes but it’s Braun so any pot shot is warranted. He’s the devil don’t ya know...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Throw in that Braun saw Moose cruising into 2b

Any time. Can’t wait for the next player to make a mistake

Thanks, I am sure your 4,000 posts all praise the players. You must be perfect.

I’ve bagged on players too. But it’s so constant these days. Hell Im Mr. cups is half empty but on plays like that there’s no reason to fault a player or call him an idiot. It’s bad luck. Simple as that.

Twins announcers were saying that a ball caught in the OF has to be presented as caught to the umpires before being a completed catch. Being in the glove is not enough. Given the way the ball fell out before it could be shown, that would mean the mistake was made by the umps not Braun. I have no idea if the Twins announcers have that right or not, but it looks silly for a poster here to jump down Braun's back when it looked a lot like a dropped ball both in real time and to the opposing side's announcers.

Gotta think the end of Aguilar is near.

You just cant play first and hit under .200 for a long stretch.

On Sunday when they pinch-hit Aguilar for Woodruff in the 8th I was vocal with my displeasure of this call. The guy in the row in front of me didn’t like my attitude and said to stay positive. I said “I’m POSITIVE Aguilar is going to strike out here.” Four pitches later Aguilar struck out. It was awesome.

so much judgement being passed tonight. It's the IGT for crying out loud.

Are we not allowed to post off the cuff and be fans?

Sometimes these threads are condescending to those of us who just enjoy hanging out with other Brewers fans and sharing the experience, even when at times its an over reaction or just plain stupid comments...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

On Sunday when they pinch-hit Aguilar for Woodruff in the 8th I was vocal with my displeasure of this call. The guy in the row in front of me didn’t like my attitude and said to stay positive. I said “I’m POSITIVE Aguilar is going to strike out here.” Four pitches later Aguilar struck out. It was awesome.

He's so bad I would rather see Hernan Perez at first.

At least Prrez will hit .250 with some pop and give you above average defense.

The other option would be to move Braun to 1B again and play Gamel everyday.

Twins announcers were saying that a ball caught in the OF has to be presented as caught to the umpires before being a completed catch. Being in the glove is not enough. Given the way the ball fell out before it could be shown, that would mean the mistake was made by the umps not Braun. I have no idea if the Twins announcers have that right or not, but it looks silly for a poster here to jump down Braun's back when it looked a lot like a dropped ball both in real time and to the opposing side's announcers.

the rulebook doesn't actually say it has to be presented to the umpires.

"In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught."

Sometimes these threads are condescending to those of us who just enjoy hanging out with other Brewers fans and sharing the experience, even when at times its an over reaction or just plain stupid comments...

Truth

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Easy read as a player. Catch, your u go back and tag. Drops or off the wall, you score. Go about a quarter of the way to third and simply watch the play.

Really?

Yep. Was it even close to a drop?

He's so bad I would rather see Hernan Perez at first.

At least Prrez will hit .250 with some pop and give you above average defense.

The other option would be to move Braun to 1B again and play Gamel everyday.

Or yet another option is to go get a real first baseman that can hit.

Amen! There are over 100 of these things left this year, and hopefully this team is playing deep into October. They are going to play some bad baseball this year. Every team does.

This is an fun little pitchers' duel right now. Did anyone expect anything less with the Brewers facing a soft-tossing lefty making his MLB debut? That scenario has been this team's kryptonite for what seems like years.

Fortunately Davies is having a typical Davies game ... lots of hard contact, but he executes when he needs it, and he's tossing a bunch of zeros on the board as well.

Easy read as a player. Catch, your u go back and tag. Drops or off the wall, you score. Go about a quarter of the way to third and simply watch the play.

Really?

Yep. Was it even close to a drop?

I thought it was close enough that he would need the umpire to make a timely and clear call and go off of his cue to be sure either way.

the rulebook doesn't actually say it has to be presented to the umpires.

"In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught."

Thanks for finding that. The Twins announcers had it wrong then.

I thought it was close enough that he would need the umpire to make a timely and clear call and go off of his cue to be sure either way.

75 yards away with his back to Braun ... yeah, the ump has to help there. Braun had a horrible view of what was happening being between 2nd and 3rd, and was hung out to dry. No other way to look at it.

Archived