Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-28: Brewers (Davies) at Twins (Smeltzer) [Brewers lose, 5-3 — Crew strands 3 leadoff extra base hits and struggles against lefty starter making MLB debut; Davies pitches 6 scoreless innings]

Eye Black

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else getting really excited about the trajectory of this team? The pitching is really rounding out nicely, Jimmy hasn't even come back yet, you have to think there will be at least one semi-substantial move to improve the major league team yet...and I just feel really good about out-lasting the Cubs again. It should be a great summer. I still feel like their best baseball is ahead of them and despite that, they're right in this.

I think they are in good position, especially with their schedule thus far. A lot will depend on the trade deadline, think some of the deals last year really helped put them over the top. Don't know if they have the prospects anymore to improve enough at the deadline this year. A lot will depend on how Nelson performs when he pitches in Milwaukee again.

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- RF

3. Braun- LF

4. Grandal- C

5. Moustakas- 3B

6. Hiura- 2B

7. Perez- 1B

8. Aguilar- DH

9. Arcia- SS

Would be my lineup tonight.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
Perez scratched. Lefty Devin Smeltzer will get the start in his MLB debut.

Excerpt from Smeltzer's FG write up on the twins system...

"Most pitchers tuck their gloves in by their ribs when they disconnect and begin to clear their front sides; Smeltzer’s glove extends way out away from his body, the start of one of baseball’s funkiest deliveries. Repertoire depth, plus fastball and breaking ball spin, and efficient strike-throwing all mix with the mechanical deception to enable Smeltzer’s success despite a lack of velocity."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Should be warmer weather tonight. Last night, there was a light mist for a few innings and a cold wind blowing in from left field (which makes the HRs hit to left more impressive).

I was really missing Miller Park last night, but it was my first chance to see the Brewers at Target Field. My two sons and I celebrated the win with the Braun-Yellich-Cain-raised-hands-celebration. :)

And that was probably the loudest half-filled stadium I've ever heard. Mainly because the Brewer fans would start up some chant and the Twins fans would boo. Then the guy running the scoreboard would have to put up the "Go-Twins-Go" chant just to get the Twins fans to chant. Hilarious.

Should be warmer weather tonight. Last night, there was a light mist for a few innings and a cold wind blowing in from left field (which makes the HRs hit to left more impressive).

I was really missing Miller Park last night, but it was my first chance to see the Brewers at Target Field. My two sons and I celebrated the win with the Braun-Yellich-Cain-raised-hands-celebration. :)

And that was probably the loudest half-filled stadium I've ever heard. Mainly because the Brewer fans would start up some chant and the Twins fans would boo. Then the guy running the scoreboard would have to put up the "Go-Twins-Go" chant just to get the Twins fans to chant. Hilarious.

Brewer fans were really loud last night. On the radio it was hard to tell what fan base cheered louder. The crowd was so loud after the Arcia homerun. Seemed even more road team heavy than when the Cubs come to miller

I would like to see Brewers load up RH hitters against this guy. I looked up his scouting report and his breaking ball has a ton of horizontal movement. His changeup is also so good that he throws it to LH hitters as well as RH hitters. I feel like he's going to be incredibly tough on LH hitters and much more hittable for RH hitters.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Grandal

Aguilar

Perez

Moose

Hiura

Arcia

I only put Perez 6 and Hiura 8 because Perez has been hitting better lately. I personally would even consider catching Nottingham with Grandal at 1b and Aguilar DH and Moose on the bench. I just know they won't do that.

Brewer fans were really loud last night. On the radio it was hard to tell what fan base cheered louder. The crowd was so loud after the Arcia homerun. Seemed even more road team heavy than when the Cubs come to miller

I'm guessing the weather played a role in it. Its just "another" game to the local Twins fans, so I'm thinking many just stayed home. For us Brewer fans over in West WI and MN, its our only chance to see the Brewers this year, so we chanced it.

I joked with my boys that we should go sit behind homeplate because half of the seats were open. The weather will be much better tonight.

I'm guessing the weather played a role in it. Its just "another" game to the local Twins fans, so I'm thinking many just stayed home. For us Brewer fans over in West WI and MN, its our only chance to see the Brewers this year, so we chanced it.

I joked with my boys that we should go sit behind homeplate because half of the seats were open. The weather will be much better tonight.

Weather is a factor but twins fans have not been showing up most games. Despite holding the best record in baseball at one point they had seen the 5th biggest drop in attendance from last year and are 12,000 people per game lower than the Brewers! If you watch their home highlights most games are around 50 percent or less full

Weather is a factor but twins fans have not been showing up most games. Despite holding the best record in baseball at one point they had seen the 5th biggest drop in attendance from last year and are 12,000 people per game lower than the Brewers! If you watch their home highlights most games are around 50 percent or less full

The bump in attendance doesn’t happen til the following year past an unexpectedly good year. Season ticket packages, group sales etc. so expect next year’s games at target to be a tougher ticket.

I believe the weather up there has been pretty miserable too. They've played a lot of games in the 40's and low 50's I think.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Lineup - I don't understand why CC wouldn't stagger Grandal/Moose by at least 1 batter. So easy to use a lefty for the 4-5 spots and a righty for the 6-9 and 1 spot...they'll probably do that twice in the later innings unless of course this rookie SP throws a gem his first time out.

Community Moderator

Lineup - I don't understand why CC wouldn't stagger Grandal/Moose by at least 1 batter. So easy to use a lefty for the 4-5 spots and a righty for the 6-9 and 1 spot...they'll probably do that twice in the later innings unless of course this rookie SP throws a gem his first time out.

Grandal is hitting lefties very well this season. He has hit them better than righties thus far.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived