Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-27: Brewers (González) at Twins (Pineda) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Arcia RBI double and 2-run home run lead comeback win]

Eye Black
It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

They've also given up the fifth most runs in the NL and have only a +14 run differential.

The have probably given up more runs than a few teams bc they have played a lot of games and they have played a lot of games against good teams

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would argue all teams rely on out hitting the other team to win. Against the Dodgers last year, the pitchers did pretty good. Yeah we had to use some smoke and mirrors, but still we lost because we didnt outhit them.

Maybe we wouldn't of had to if we had better starting options and didn't have to use smoke and mirrors.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The have probably given up more runs than a few teams bc they have played a lot of games and they have played a lot of games against good teams

That doesn't explain a paltry run differential.

Look, all I'm saying is the rotation isn't up to par. If you all want to believe it is, great, but there is more than enough evidence out there to suggest it isn't.

The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

People said our rotation was weak last year & would be our undoing, it wasn't.

How about the month before? Are you willing to guarantee the same level of success next month with the same group? I mean, you can cherry pick a given month but that doesn't tell the whole story,

Yes, six runs a game is hyperbole but let's not pretend this team isn't dependent on out hitting the other team to win. Sure, they have some success against lesser offenses but when they play good offenses this becomes glaringly clear. I'm not sure 13 games is a representative sample.

Are you telling me they don't have a significantly better shot at beating the dodgers with a better rotation last year? Do you not recall the pitching kabuki they had to partake in against the Dodgers just to make it through. I'd say the lack of better starting options was absolutely their undoing unless you think the World Series is not the objective.

The rotation is better this year than Last, if for no other reason we now have a clear #1/ace in Woodruff, and healthy Davis.

Bullpen 1-8 as good or better than at this time last year.

Offensively it’s tough with the worst production in baseball at 3rd(Shaw) and 3rd worst at first(Aguilar). Slightly below average year’s from them adds how many wins to our total this year?

Community Moderator
The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

People said our rotation was weak last year & would be our undoing, it wasn't.

How about the month before? Are you willing to guarantee the same level of success next month with the same group? I mean, you can cherry pick a given month but that doesn't tell the whole story,

Yes, six runs a game is hyperbole but let's not pretend this team isn't dependent on out hitting the other team to win. Sure, they have some success against lesser offenses but when they play good offenses this becomes glaringly clear. I'm not sure 13 games is a representative sample.

Are you telling me they don't have a significantly better shot at beating the dodgers with a better rotation last year? Do you not recall the pitching kabuki they had to partake in against the Dodgers just to make it through. I'd say the lack of better starting options was absolutely their undoing unless you think the World Series is not the objective.

At the start of the season non scrap heap soft tossers Peralta & Burnes were in the rotation, so I'd say those results are less relevant moving forward.

I'd say neither the 2.99 ERA of the last 30 days nor the 5.14 ERA in April are representative of the true talent level of the rotation, but I would bet (& hope) our starters season ERA ends up closer to the former.

Of course having a better rotation would have helped last year, so would an extra 100 million in payroll. The rotation we did have lead us to the most wins in the NL & Game 7 of the NLCS in a season where half the posters on this board didn't predict we'd make the postseason. Hard for me to term that anything but a success.

Also, wow Jeffress.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

They've also given up the fifth most runs in the NL and have only a +14 run differential.

Fifth most runs is based on games played, which the Brewers have more games than most of the teams. I'm not even arguing that the Brewers can't/shouldn't be better, but when you say things that are easily proven false (the Brewers have to score 6 runs a game to win the majority of the time), people will say "that's false".

Fifth most runs is based on games played, which the Brewers have more games than most of the teams. I'm not even arguing that the Brewers can't/shouldn't be better, but when you say things that are easily proven false (the Brewers have to score 6 runs a game to win the majority of the time), people will say "that's false".

I already stated that was hyperbole, doesn't change my point.

I had no idea that Rocco Baldelli was the manager for the Twins. I knew it wasn't Molitor anymore but I pay close to zero attention to the Twins so I heard that name and I did a double-take.

Archived