Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-27: Brewers (González) at Twins (Pineda) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Arcia RBI double and 2-run home run lead comeback win]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ah, so this is why Gio was available for 2 million.

Stunning, I know.

Give him one more start but if he keeps this up you're going to have to try something different.

Gonzalez has been pretty solid for the Brewers up until facing the best hitting team in all of baseball.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
The problem is, that is most of our rotation. Who would have guessed a rotation full of scrap heap soft tossers would end up like this.

Preseason we were expected to contend for the postseason. We are currently contending for the postseason. So I guess lots of people thought we would end up like this.

Even if you think Gio is a crap heap soft tosser (I personally think his career track record excludes him from any scrap heap talk), who are the other scrap heap soft tossers in our rotation?

Brewers successfully executing small ball TWICE with a runner on third and less than 2 outs. I'm heading to a bomb shelter.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

The problem is, that is most of our rotation. Who would have guessed a rotation full of scrap heap soft tossers would end up like this.

Preseason we were expected to contend for the postseason. We are currently contending for the postseason. So I guess lots of people thought we would end up like this.

Even if you think Gio is a crap heap soft tosser (I personally think his career track record excludes him from any scrap heap talk), who are the other scrap heap soft tossers in our rotation?

Plenty of prognosticators questioned this teams ability to contend, almost exclusively based on the lack of a quality rotation. Anderson was a throw in trade piece, Gonzalez was literally a scrap heap signing, Davies we got for Gerardo Parra and Chacin was a cheap sign. I highly doubt any one of those guys would return anything of value in a trade and collectively don't measure up to the Dodgers, Cubs, Philles or Braves just to name a few. They may be a contender for a playoff spot but they are not on par with those other teams when it comes to pitching. It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time. Slice it how you want to, the starting pitching is weak and it's weak becuse they rely predominantly on marginal pitchers with little room for error.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Community Moderator

Plenty of prognosticators questioned this teams ability to contend, almost exclusively based on the lack of a quality rotation. Anderson was a throw in trade piece, Gonzalez was literally a scrap heap signing, Davies we got for Gerardo Parra and Chacin was a cheap sign. I highly doubt any one of those guys would return anything of value in a trade and collectively don't measure up to the Dodgers, Cubs, Philles or Braves just to name a few. They may be a contender for a playoff spot but they are not on par with those other teams when it comes to pitching. It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time. Slice it how you want to, the starting pitching is weak and it's weak becuse they rely predominantly on marginal pitchers with little room for error.

The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

People said our rotation was weak last year & would be our undoing, it wasn't.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

People said our rotation was weak last year & would be our undoing, it wasn't.

How about the month before? Are you willing to guarantee the same level of success next month with the same group? I mean, you can cherry pick a given month but that doesn't tell the whole story,

Yes, six runs a game is hyperbole but let's not pretend this team isn't dependent on out hitting the other team to win. Sure, they have some success against lesser offenses but when they play good offenses this becomes glaringly clear. I'm not sure 13 games is a representative sample.

Are you telling me they don't have a significantly better shot at beating the dodgers with a better rotation last year? Do you not recall the pitching kabuki they had to partake in against the Dodgers just to make it through. I'd say the lack of better starting options was absolutely their undoing unless you think the World Series is not the objective.

I would argue all teams rely on out hitting the other team to win. Against the Dodgers last year, the pitchers did pretty good. Yeah we had to use some smoke and mirrors, but still we lost because we didnt outhit them.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

They've also given up the fifth most runs in the NL and have only a +14 run differential.

Archived