Brewer Fanatic

When do Brewers try to lock up Woodruff?

Woodruff was short of a full service year coming into 2019, so he will not reach free agency until 2025 when he is 32 years old. Most likely will be a super 2 with arbitration seasons from 2021-24 under the current system.

Absolutely no rush whatsoever to do anything with Woodruff unless he wants to sell some arbitration years at a discount in exchange for security like Chase Anderson.

Extend Braun while they’re at it. He’s back!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Woodruff was short of a full service year coming into 2019, so he will not reach free agency until 2025 when he is 32 years old. Most likely will be a super 2 with arbitration seasons from 2021-24 under the current system.

Absolutely no rush whatsoever to do anything with Woodruff unless he wants to sell some arbitration years at a discount in exchange for security like Chase Anderson.

Agreed. No reason to extend him. Sucks for Woody but that's the way it goes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brandon Woodruff is in an awful position as far as when he will hit FA. If he has a great season I would then consider extending him in return for 2 FA years.

That being said he is so far from FA this offseason it would have to look like an absolute bargain and a no brainer. Probably a more realistic option in 2-3 years. I never have problems extending players, but it has to reflect the risk and how much leverage we have.

I’ve said this before, but beginning last season when he started dominating out of the pen and overpowering hitters, he’s the closest I’ve seen in years to vintage Curt Schilling.

I’ve said this before, but beginning last season when he started dominating out of the pen and overpowering hitters, he’s the closest I’ve seen in years to vintage Curt Schilling.

I'm getting a sense he will dominate, too. Heck, back in 2017, I felt he should have been up sooner. Imagine paying him $500K instead of the $12 million or go Garza got. Who knows? Maybe he's that TOR/ace guy we needed in the 2018 playoffs. Maybe 2017 also has the Crew in the playoffs...

Getting this done shouldn't be a big priority, but if Woodruff is interested, why not? Early pitcher extensions are risky, but great value when it pays off, whether through keeping your franchise player (Bumgarner) or through trades (Quintana, Sale).

Always hard to judge the shifting tides in the market, or make player comps, but the Quintana contract should be a decent baseline; 5 years, $26.5m guaranteed with two team options for $10.5m and $11.5m with $1m buyouts; the two option years being the only FA years. They will both have very similar service time by the end of this season (i.e very close to two years), but Quintana will have been 2 years younger at the time and will have had maybe 80-100 more innings pitched. Inflation and overall increase in payroll will make up for some of that. So leave some leeway for where the final figures would end up, so while it's not a guaranteed rate, it should be in the same (Or nearby) ballpark.

To me that type of deal looks fine. Doesn't need to be great to be worth it (It's OK, if somewhat disappointing, even for a #5 type starter or good swing man), not a crippling amount of money if if he absolutely bombs, and if he's a #3 or better starter it will have been tremendous value both during the arbitration years and with the extra two years. Super 2 starters get paid a lot during the last two years of team control.

Getting this done shouldn't be a big priority, but if Woodruff is interested, why not? Early pitcher extensions are risky, but great value when it pays off, whether through keeping your franchise player (Bumgarner) or through trades (Quintana, Sale).

Always hard to judge the shifting tides in the market, or make player comps, but the Quintana contract should be a decent baseline; 5 years, $26.5m guaranteed with two team options for $10.5m and $11.5m with $1m buyouts; the two option years being the only FA years. They will both have very similar service time by the end of this season (i.e very close to two years), but Quintana will have been 2 years younger at the time and will have had maybe 80-100 more innings pitched. Inflation and overall increase in payroll will make up for some of that. So leave some leeway for where the final figures would end up, so while it's not a guaranteed rate, it should be in the same (Or nearby) ballpark.

To me that type of deal looks fine. Doesn't need to be great to be worth it (It's OK, if somewhat disappointing, even for a #5 type starter or good swing man), not a crippling amount of money if if he absolutely bombs, and if he's a #3 or better starter it will have been tremendous value both during the arbitration years and with the extra two years. Super 2 starters get paid a lot during the last two years of team control.

Make it a priority.

If it could be done today great, otherwise as soon as possible with this soon to be top 5 pitcher in baseball. Big, Strong, easy gas with a great delivery, will bode well for staying healthy. Get it done BEFORE he becomes the best pitcher in baseball.

Woodruff has to be considered for NL pitcher of the month for May. 4-0, 33 IP, 5 ER, 37K.

Anybody care to guess the Brewers' last NL pitcher of the month?

First name I wanted to go with was Mike Fiers. Checked his stats and seemed somewhat less confident seeing as the nuts month he had was only 4 starts (25 innings, about 1.00 ERA, 9.00 K/9).

I was pretty surprised after I looked up who it was. I won’t spoil it for others (like people love to do), but I will say it was after the Sheets/Sabathia era.

I wouldn't even consider it until he has logged 2 consecutive seasons of what he has done to this point. There is no rush...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Woodruff has to be considered for NL pitcher of the month for May. 4-0, 33 IP, 5 ER, 37K.

Marcum or Guerra?

Edit-Scratch that, I think I remember who it was. I believe it was a pitcher who originally started his career with another NL Central team?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't think I would at all. His age at the time of his free agency is not when you want to be paying a pitcher a lot of money. Hopefully he pitches great for a few years and he's traded with a couple years of control left.

We're already talking about trading him with multiple years of control left? He got a late start. Maybe he has success into his mid 30's. I wouldn't mind adding a couple years with team options similar to those mentioned above.

I don't get the desire to look to trading guys so far out though. I've seen it mentioned with Yelich. Lets wait and see where we are before we start thinking about trading guys.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't think I would at all. His age at the time of his free agency is not when you want to be paying a pitcher a lot of money. Hopefully he pitches great for a few years and he's traded with a couple years of control left.

We're already talking about trading him with multiple years of control left? He got a late start. Maybe he has success into his mid 30's. I wouldn't mind adding a couple years with team options similar to those mentioned above.

I don't get the desire to look to trading guys so far out though. I've seen it mentioned with Yelich. Lets wait and see where we are before we start thinking about trading guys.

I'm talking about trading him in like 4 years. It's what every team, small market or not, should be doing. Develop your players and trade them before free agency for more players to develop. Especially in a guy like Woodruff's case who's going to be on the older side when his team control is up. The list of pitchers who have remained successful into the early to mid 30's is a lot small than the list of hitters who have.

Marcum or Guerra?

Edit-Scratch that, I think I remember who it was. I believe it was a pitcher who originally started his career with another NL Central team?

The Brewers were his only NL Central team.

Marcum or Guerra?

The Brewers were his only NL Central team.

Damn. There goes my Jeff Suppan guess.

I hope we’re competitive and that isn’t even a thought.

Zach Davies, Roger Clemens, and Walter Johnson. The only 3 RHP's in history to have 5 consecutive road starts with at least 6 ip's each and no earned runs. He would be my guess for last Brewer pitcher of the month, but I'm not looking any of this up. I don't remember Hader or Knebel getting it.

Archived