Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-22: Reds (Castillo) at Brewers (Davies) [Brewers win, 11-9 -- Comeback win from an early 6-0 deficit]

Eye Black
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So you are saying Shaw would forget how to play 3B for 2020 if he played 2B this year? I'm still going with they were keeping Shaw happy, and they told Moose the situation before he signed, so he knew ahead of time the deal.

No. I'm sure Shaw could have played at 2B. I think they saw and continue to see him as the team's long-term 3B, and figured that the defense was close enough that Shaw should just stay at 3B. But it can also be argued that Moose's quicker hands and instincts also make him a better fit at 2B than Shaw.

Community Moderator
I repeat every single game but this is the worst baserunning team in the majors and it's not close. It's unbelievable.

FanGraphs currently has us 23rd at -2.4 runs on the bases to this point.

The Padres are currently last at -5.9 runs on the bases to this point.

So you are saying Shaw would forget how to play 3B for 2020 if he played 2B this year? I'm still going with they were keeping Shaw happy, and they told Moose the situation before he signed, so he knew ahead of time the deal.

No. I'm sure Shaw could have played at 2B. I think they saw and continue to see him as the team's long-term 3B, and figured that the defense was close enough that Shaw should just stay at 3B. But it can also be argued that Moose's quicker hands and instincts also make him a better fit at 2B than Shaw.

From Moose's perspective, playing 2b decent or better adds versatility and makes him more attractive next year in FA.

It more has to do with Shaw being part of the long-term future, and there being next to no depth at 3B beyond him. As we know, Moose is on a 1-year deal, and there is a strong 2B contingency plan in place.

I believe it's neither and that they just felt better about this defensive configuration going forward.

Part of me thinks...I don't want to batter the bullpen too badly as they face the Cubs next. But.....we need to win. Also Reds have a day off tomorrow so they should be fine.

They have a deep, strong bullpen. Second in all of baseball strong. Not gonna be easy to score off of.

bullpen putting up all zeroes on us...

Derek Johnson having a tough day

The Crew is really pouring it on Derek Johnson right now. Did we trade Thames yet?

He must have gotten too content after last night and scaled back the quality coaching today.

Archived