Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion

What, exactly, are we salvaging? The Brewers are tied for the 4th best record in the league, and currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, despite playing one of the hardest schedules in baseball so far.

I'm hoping Mark A. and the front office focus on a sound strategy moving forward, not making reactionary moves because we're not leading the division or something.

David Stearns has said repeatedly, he wants to wait until around Memorial Day to see how players/team does before he makes judgements on what to do moving forward.

We’re there now. And unless moves are made( money spent )this team probably won’t make the wild card game. Imo the teams weaknesses:

- Shaw’s hitting slump is so deep, he probably can’t recover from it this year, he needs to see a sports psychologist.

- Aguilar needs to go, he’s almost as bad as Shaw, without the pedigree.

- statistically the worst team in baseball at getting a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 out. Also, and just as important, manufacturing runs non- existent.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them. Imo Stearn’s has work to do, and zero prospect capital in which to fix the hitting issues.

So that leaves taking on large contracts as the only way to solve our weaknesses. Now we can pretend Shaw will magically find his stroke, and Aguilar will suddenly lose 60 lbs so as not to clog the bases, since his power stroke is gone. Not sure that’s going to happen.

Encarnacion is needed. Once again if done before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil. > Aguilar + Diplan

Diplan has little value right now to Seattle. He was bad last year at AA: 57 IPs - 58 Hits - 29 ERs - 1.65 WHIP. This year again at AA he's even worse: 32 IPs - 32 hits - 26 runs - 6.61 ERA - 1.56 WHIP. They don't want a struggling pitcher at AA plus a really struggling 1B. If they are also going to send $5M with Encarnacion, they could get a much better package from an A.L. contender.

Aguilar is a perfect change of scenery candidate, Diplan just a throw in.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't have the prospects necessary to make a deal to improve the team so the only way we can do something that will move the needle is to take on a big contract. I think there is a fairly good chance that Aguilar is toast and we need a consistent right handed power threat which Encarnacion would be.

I get the idea of adding EE and having a consistent RH power bat in the lineup. Not debating that. EE is the poster child for consistent RH power.

That said, beyond the contract issue there is also the issue of how to use him in the NL. The lack of a DH role in the NL is a limitation that impacts the Brewers big time in this case. Asking EE to be an everyday 1B at this point (36 about to be 37 yrs old) is begging for problems. Using the Rtot/yr stat from Baseball Reference Edwin is -16 at 1B this season. Taking the same stat, you have Aguilar at 9 and Thames at 6. So both the current guys are markedly better defensively than EE. Bringing EE in might add to the lineup but he has to come out late each game and that might become an issue.

Additionally having watched EE up close the past 2 years, I can say he among the slower base runners out there. He tries and gives effort but he is station to station. The idea of him scoring from 2nd on a single or 1st on a double begs for outs at the plate..

Buyer beware....

What, exactly, are we salvaging? The Brewers are tied for the 4th best record in the league, and currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, despite playing one of the hardest schedules in baseball so far.

I'm hoping Mark A. and the front office focus on a sound strategy moving forward, not making reactionary moves because we're not leading the division or something.

David Stearns has said repeatedly, he wants to wait until around Memorial Day to see how players/team does before he makes judgements on what to do moving forward.

We’re there now. And unless moves are made( money spent )this team probably won’t make the wild card game. Imo the teams weaknesses:

- Shaw’s hitting slump is so deep, he probably can’t recover from it this year, he needs to see a sports psychologist.

- Aguilar needs to go, he’s almost as bad as Shaw, without the pedigree.

- statistically the worst team in baseball at getting a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 out. Also, and just as important, manufacturing runs non- existent.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them. Imo Stearn’s has work to do, and zero prospect capital in which to fix the hitting issues.

So that leaves taking on large contracts as the only way to solve our weaknesses. Now we can pretend Shaw will magically find his stroke, and Aguilar will suddenly lose 60 lbs so as not to clog the bases, since his power stroke is gone. Not sure that’s going to happen.

Encarnacion is needed. Once again if done before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil. > Aguilar + Diplan

I just shut off when I read things like this. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about OTHER than Shaw, who went to the DL is hitting poorly. Yet the same guy who played through a serious, life threatening illness to his child needs to see a sports psychologist?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Sorry, but I’m trying to compete with LA and Chicago and win a world championship. Going to need better hitting to compensate for Shaw Aguilar, and worst in baseball at run manufacturing and getting runners in from 3rd base with less than 2 outs.

Right, and again...what about the pitching?

Since May 3rd we are top 3 in baseball in team era, before last 3 games we were number 1. I believe we need more pitching too, but a pitcher or two could come from within(Nelson Sanchez Rasmussen Perdomo) that’s not the case with our hitting.

And Aguilar had a .427 OBP in May when you first posted this. And that didn't include the two big games he had at the end of April.

Just picking a date and using a few weeks of data to analyze can cut both ways.

Edit-From the end of April to today, Aguilar has been hitting .296/420/500.

Given that EE is worse offensively, seems illogical to make this move now. I'm sure you would not agree when presented with the facts, right?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

since the crew made changes and or additions to the rotation, add Gio and Anderson subtract peralta and Burnes, with Burnes to the pen, the pitching has been good.

Aguilar’s power is non-existent, so when he gets a hit or walk he hurts the team further by clogging the bases.

Don’t really understand your Aguilar better offensively comment. EE on pace for 40+ home runs and 100+ rbi.

since the crew made changes and or additions to the rotation, add Gio and Anderson subtract peralta and Burnes, with Burnes to the pen, the pitching has been good.

Aguilar’s power is non-existent, so when he gets a hit or walk he hurts the team further by clogging the bases.

Don’t really understand your Aguilar better offensively comment. EE on pace for 40+ home runs and 100+ rbi.

Except Aguilar had a higher slugging percentage than EE both last season and the season before. So surely you can understand if management doesn't want to jump to conclusions based on 127 ABs this year.

Also the whole "clogging the bases" thing is just a really silly expression to imply that getting on base is a bad thing, especially when comparing Aguilar to EE who is much older and equally a sloth on the bases. Aguilar can at least play a passable 1B while there is no DH spot in the NL to plug in EE.

It's also shows extreme bias to continue to harp on the improvement of the pitching staff in May but completely disregard the improvement of Aguilar when that is brought up.

Except Aguilar had a higher slugging percentage than EE both last season and the season before. So surely you can understand if management doesn't want to jump to conclusions based on 127 ABs this year.

Also the whole "clogging the bases" thing is just a really silly expression to imply that getting on base is a bad thing, especially when comparing Aguilar to EE who is much older and equally a sloth on the bases. Aguilar can at least play a passable 1B while there is no DH spot in the NL to plug in EE.

It's also shows extreme bias to continue to harp on the improvement of the pitching staff in May but completely disregard the improvement of Aguilar when that is brought up.

Except, he hasn’t improved. No power. Where’s the power? Every pinch hit appearance lately a k, when rock and BA talk about his season long slump, you know it’s bad. If he’s not at least hitting the occasional home run there’s a serious problem, how long to we give him and Shaw to right themselves?

Your right, EE hitter only player, but he’s on pace for 40+ 100+ and ya gotta love almost as many walks as ks. Not the perfect bat we need for obvious reasons, but one we could potentially acquire without giving up prospects.

Big difference between the pitching staff leading baseball in era = really really good.

And Aguilar getting on base at a higher clip but with zero power = better but still slumping.

Thames now has a higher OPS than EE.

Note that I'm not saying Thames is better than EE. I'm saying EE is a marginal upgrade not worth blowing all remaining financial flexibility on.

The Brewers front office likes players who are versatile. At this point, Encarnacion plays only first base, and his best position is probably designated hitter for an AL team. Moreover, his contract pays him 21 million dollars this year with a 5 million dollar buy out. Given the pay he's owed, I'm not sure the Brewers are going to be interested, unless Seattle includes significant cash in the deal (the 5 million dollar option for sure and a portion of what he would still be owed in salary as well), which of course the Mariners would only do if they were getting quality prospects back. They're not going to take garbage in return AND kick in ten million dollars, therefore it's really not a good match to begin with.

An Encarnacion acquisition strikes me as making a change simply to make a change. I don't think there's any point to upsetting the apple cart unless the on-paper improvement improvement is significant.

I don't think getting rid of the black hole at 1B would upset the apple cart, I think it would make us better.

I'm fine with Thames, but I don't think he is the answer as a regular 1B on a playoff contending team. Too many highs and lows for my liking.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
I saw EE play in Seattle on Saturday, he looks like a guy who has no skill except swinging for the fences on a last place team. He hasn't been in the NL in 10 years. Hard pass.

• 2 weeks later...

If this team is going to be a real threat in the playoffs against teams like Chicago and LA we are going to need a couple of right handed bats. One of those bats will be Hiura and I think the other one should be Encarnacion who won't cost much besides money.

We currently don't have one legitimate right handed threat in the lineup. Braun has been decent but is no longer elite, Cain has been absolutely horrendous and there isn't much to be said for Aguilar who has been worse than some of the pitchers.

Come playoff time if we are good enough to make it we will be facing top notch lefties such as Kershaw and Hamels. As good as Yelich, Moustakas, and Grandal have been they are all weaker against lefties. The lineup as is may be good enough to get to the postseason but if we want to win a World Series we will need to hit some top lefties and Encarnacion has proven that he can do that.

I think the right-handed bat aspect is completely legitimate. Grandal has gotten the job done as a right-handed bat. Hiura is probably back in a couple weeks and will certainly help. Cain's bat has been mediocre all season. Braun is up-and-down and will likely end up on the DL sometime this season. Arcia's consistency has improved but he just isn't a big threat with the bat. A key factor in this could be how much money the Mariners agree to eat. They ate a ton of money when they traded Jay Bruce away, but Encarnacion is way, way, way better than Bruce. I just question if Stearns would want to add Encarnacion's awful defense to the mix. The defensive metrics are sub-par but not horrible, but reports are that he is really poor in the field which isn't a surprise...there is a reason he's spent so much time as a DH. He's still guaranteed about 16.35 million (rest of this year's salary plus a 5 million dollar buyout for next year). If I'm in Stearn's chair, the Mariners would have to send at least 12 million to keep me slightly interested. I like the idea of adding another right-handed bat, I just don't know if Encarnacion's salary and defense makes him the best fit.

Encarnacion cant be any worse defensively than Thames so I wouldn't worry about the defensive aspect. Pretty sure that Seattle was given the 5 million for the buyout when they traded for him so at worst we would only be on the hook for the rest of this years salary. With a thin farm system we really need to trade for cheap reinforcements (cheap prospect value not money) and Encarnacion fills the bill.

Really first base is the only place where we can upgrade with a right handed bat besides of course Hiura taking over second base for good. If we are going to be a threat in the playoffs we need a guy like Encarnacion when we face tough left handed starters. I really think he is the perfect acquisition and with so few contenders looking for first basemen we should get him dirt cheap.

I wonder if Seattle would just take Aguilar straight up. Obviously he's having a terrible season but he was pretty good the last two years and amazing the first half of last year so Seattle could certainly take a shot on a rebound especially since they can afford to be patient with him. There's a lot of cheap club control there too so that would add to his value if he can rebound.

Encarnacion cant be any worse defensively than Thames so I wouldn't worry about the defensive aspect. Pretty sure that Seattle was given the 5 million for the buyout when they traded for him so at worst we would only be on the hook for the rest of this years salary. With a thin farm system we really need to trade for cheap reinforcements (cheap prospect value not money) and Encarnacion fills the bill.

Really first base is the only place where we can upgrade with a right handed bat besides of course Hiura taking over second base for good. If we are going to be a threat in the playoffs we need a guy like Encarnacion when we face tough left handed starters. I really think he is the perfect acquisition and with so few contenders looking for first basemen we should get him dirt cheap.

This should be the first of multiple deals Stearns needs to do before the deadline. EE would fill our biggest need, an elite righty bat that can crush good pitching. And we can get him for zero or little prospect capital.

This should be the first of multiple deals Stearns needs to do before the deadline. EE would fill our biggest need, an elite righty bat that can crush good pitching. And we can get him for zero or little prospect capital.

Have you spoken to the Seattle GM or something?

Spouting opinions as facts doesn't really sit well here.

Have you spoken to the Seattle GM or something?

Spouting opinions as facts doesn't really sit well here.

Which one of us are you referring to? Since we both said pretty much the same thing.

Which one of us are you referring to? Since we both said pretty much the same thing.

You, since your post was made as fact, not opinion, a typical ploy of yours...

You, since your post was made as fact, not opinion, a typical ploy of yours...

It’s obviously an opinion to everyone including you, so stop with the annoying stalking posts, it’s past time.

Archived