Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion

Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

Kimbrel.

Because, imo, it will take a 3 year contract to land him, and it fits our window perfectly.

Nelson Woodruff Anderson Burnes Davies Rasmussen Peralta Perdomo Wahl Jeffress Knebel Hader Kimbrel

World Championship Pitching staff.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

The pitching is rounding into shape, same as it did last year, and the offense is still frustrating as heck, same as last year. Give me Encarnacion even if it means losing Aguilar. Which, quite frankly, I don't think would be as big of a loss as many are making it out to be.

Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The pitching is rounding into shape, same as it did last year, and the offense is still frustrating as heck, same as last year. Give me Encarnacion even if it means losing Aguilar. Which, quite frankly, I don't think would be as big of a loss as many are making it out to be.

The offense is scoring a lot of runs and I'm assuming your concerns are "home run or nothing" leading to several lifeless games we've had.

I don't know how much Encarnacion will help that unless we are certain E5 is that much better than Aggy (this year) that we hit the "HR or nothing" strategy hard enough that we basically don't have any off days.

Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The biggest problem with Encarnacion is that it will take prospects PLUS between $16-17M dollars for a rental. I just can't see Stearns putting out that kind of cash plus losing prospects for a 1/2 year of Encarnacion.

Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

The biggest problem with Encarnacion is that it will take prospects PLUS between $16-17M dollars for a rental. I just can't see Stearns putting out that kind of cash plus losing prospects for a 1/2 year of Encarnacion.

No way will it cost both money AND prospects. It will be one or the other. Brewers take on the contract and give up basically nothing or they give up some prospect of minimal value and the Mariners send cash. I doubt it would cost anyone of value either way. Teams just don't give up prospects for rentals anymore.

Not sure why some are thinking a 1B in a market that is saturated with a lot of 1B will be some huge prospect haul. Encarnacion is good but the market is horrible for 1B/DH types. At best you are looking at a Dubon being the major piece in a trade for Encarnacion maybe even less.

Here is a more realistic deal for Encarnacion.

Mariners get: Taylor and Diplan

Brewers get: Encarnacion and $2m

I don't see how the Mariners could do any better than this for Encarnacion when you look at the market for 1B/DH types.

Verified Member
If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

Really?

.260/.376/.902

36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi

29 bb. 36 ks

Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

29 walks and 36 ks = professional hitter ^^

2017-2019 stats:

Edwin Encarnacion, .362 wOBA

Eric Thames vs. RHP, .366 wOBA

Danny Valencia vs. LHP, .353 wOBA

(This is actually an unfriendly data sample for Valencia, whose has a career .371 wOBA vs. LHP)

Meanwhile, Encarnacion is a DH-only player who shouldn't really be playing in the field.

If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

Really?

.260/.376/.902

36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi

29 bb. 36 ks

Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

2017-2019 stats:

(This is actually an unfriendly data sample for Valencia, whose has a career .371 wOBA vs. LHP)

Meanwhile, Encarnacion is a DH-only player who shouldn't really be playing in the field.

Encarnacion play’s a more than passable first base, is on pace for 40 home runs 100+ rbi and Valencia hasn’t played at all this year.

You don’t think Stearns hasn’t checked out Valencia already?

Verified Member
You don’t think Stearns hasn’t checked out Valencia already?

Probably not, because we'd have to dump Aguilar first which I still think is very unlikely.

Really?

.260/.376/.902

36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi

29 bb. 36 ks

Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

2017-2019 stats:

Is Valencia playing for anybody right now? I can't find any stats for 2019.

Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

When the year started, the starting pitching was terrible and was the one area that was going to prevent the Brewers from going to the playoffs. Then I think the bullpen was the problem next. Then I think the next thing was the offense. Then it went back to the bullpen. Enough hand-wringing to go around to all areas of the ballclub at one point or another.

As I type this, the Brewers currently have the following rankings in the NL:

Runs per game = 8th (4.90)

Starters ERA = 11th (4.35)

Bullpen ERA = 8th (4.27)

Starting pitching is the weak point on paper, but with Woodruff's plus-plus improvement, Chacin having four pretty decent recent outings, addition of Gonzalez, possible addition of Nelson...maybe that doesn't figure to be the weak spot down the road (but maybe it will be?). But what the numbers demonstrate, there are still no obvious areas of strength or areas of weakness on the team. Currently, I'd say no to both Encarnacion and Kimbrel and play at least another six weeks and see where things are then.

Here's a question...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

When the year started, the starting pitching was terrible and was the one area that was going to prevent the Brewers from going to the playoffs. Then I think the bullpen was the problem next. Then I think the next thing was the offense. Then it went back to the bullpen. Enough hand-wringing to go around to all areas of the ballclub at one point or another.

As I type this, the Brewers currently have the following rankings in the NL:

Runs per game = 8th (4.90)

Starters ERA = 11th (4.35)

Bullpen ERA = 8th (4.27)

Starting pitching is the weak point on paper, but with Woodruff's plus-plus improvement, Chacin having four pretty decent recent outings, addition of Gonzalez, possible addition of Nelson...maybe that doesn't figure to be the weak spot down the road (but maybe it will be?). But what the numbers demonstrate, there are still no obvious areas of strength or areas of weakness on the team. Currently, I'd say no to both Encarnacion and Kimbrel and play at least another six weeks and see where things are then.

This team needs a big bat and a couple of arms. One or two arms can come from within > Nelson Rasmussen Sanchez Perdomo.

The bat needs to come from outside. If it’s not Encarnacion, it will need to be a salary dump type of player, since we do not have prospect capital. Mark A said all in, well put your money where your mouth is.

Mark A said all in, well put your money where your mouth is.

Back to spewing this crap again? Lovely.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not crap, just an opinion. It’s not an attack against Mark A, there’s time to salvage the season, let’s see what happens moving forward.

Community Moderator

What, exactly, are we salvaging? The Brewers are tied for the 4th best record in the league, and currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, despite playing one of the hardest schedules in baseball so far.

I'm hoping Mark A. and the front office focus on a sound strategy moving forward, not making reactionary moves because we're not leading the division or something.

What, exactly, are we salvaging? The Brewers are tied for the 4th best record in the league, and currently in the playoffs if the season ended today, despite playing one of the hardest schedules in baseball so far.

I'm hoping Mark A. and the front office focus on a sound strategy moving forward, not making reactionary moves because we're not leading the division or something.

David Stearns has said repeatedly, he wants to wait until around Memorial Day to see how players/team does before he makes judgements on what to do moving forward.

We’re there now. And unless moves are made( money spent )this team probably won’t make the wild card game. Imo the teams weaknesses:

- Shaw’s hitting slump is so deep, he probably can’t recover from it this year, he needs to see a sports psychologist.

- Aguilar needs to go, he’s almost as bad as Shaw, without the pedigree.

- statistically the worst team in baseball at getting a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 out. Also, and just as important, manufacturing runs non- existent.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them. Imo Stearn’s has work to do, and zero prospect capital in which to fix the hitting issues.

So that leaves taking on large contracts as the only way to solve our weaknesses. Now we can pretend Shaw will magically find his stroke, and Aguilar will suddenly lose 60 lbs so as not to clog the bases, since his power stroke is gone. Not sure that’s going to happen.

Encarnacion is needed. Once again if done before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil. > Aguilar + Diplan

Not crap, just an opinion. It’s not an attack against Mark A, there’s time to salvage the season, let’s see what happens moving forward.

Salvage the season? :laughing oh my.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
- Shaw’s hitting slump is so deep, he probably can’t recover from it this year, he needs to see a sports psychologist.

Based on what, exactly? Do you have a Psych degree, or is that just your opinion? Guys come out of slumps, even deep ones, every single year. Shaw will hit at some point, and it will be this season.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them.

They're 1.5 back from the Cubs, despite again having played one of the toughest schedules in baseball so far. Making reactionary moves now is not what the Brewers do. If they identify value in a guy like Encarnacion or whoever, they WILL go out and improve the team, but it'll be on their terms and timeframe.

Based on what, exactly? Do you have a Psych degree, or is that just your opinion? Guys come out of slumps, even deep ones, every single year. Shaw will hit at some point, and it will be this season.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them.

They're 1.5 back from the Cubs, despite again having played one of the toughest schedules in baseball so far. Making reactionary moves now is not what the Brewers do. If they identify value in a guy like Encarnacion or whoever, they WILL go out and improve the team, but it'll be on their terms and timeframe.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, the gap between the cubbies and crew is TALENT. Specifically hitting. It’s not reactionary to know your weakness and then to fix that weakness.

David Stearns has said repeatedly, he wants to wait until around Memorial Day to see how players/team does before he makes judgements on what to do moving forward.

We’re there now. And unless moves are made( money spent )this team probably won’t make the wild card game. Imo the teams weaknesses:

- Aguilar needs to go, he’s almost as bad as Shaw, without the pedigree.

- statistically the worst team in baseball at getting a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 out. Also, and just as important, manufacturing runs non- existent.

I believe this teams pitching is good enough to win the division, but the aforementioned hitting issues will keep this team from beating out the cubbies. Right now there’s a pretty big gap between them. Imo Stearn’s has work to do, and zero prospect capital in which to fix the hitting issues.

So that leaves taking on large contracts as the only way to solve our weaknesses. Now we can pretend Shaw will magically find his stroke, and Aguilar will suddenly lose 60 lbs so as not to clog the bases, since his power stroke is gone. Not sure that’s going to happen.

Encarnacion is needed. Once again if done before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil. > Aguilar + Diplan

Diplan has little value right now to Seattle. He was bad last year at AA: 57 IPs - 58 Hits - 29 ERs - 1.65 WHIP. This year again at AA he's even worse: 32 IPs - 32 hits - 26 runs - 6.61 ERA - 1.56 WHIP. They don't want a struggling pitcher at AA plus a really struggling 1B. If they are also going to send $5M with Encarnacion, they could get a much better package from an A.L. contender.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, the gap between the cubbies and crew is TALENT. Specifically hitting. It’s not reactionary to know your weakness and then to fix that weakness.

You know that our hitting has been above average and our pitching below average, right?

Sorry, but I’m trying to compete with LA and Chicago and win a world championship. Going to need better hitting to compensate for Shaw Aguilar, and worst in baseball at run manufacturing and getting runners in from 3rd base with less than 2 outs.

Sorry, but I’m trying to compete with LA and Chicago and win a world championship. Going to need better hitting to compensate for Shaw Aguilar, and worst in baseball at run manufacturing and getting runners in from 3rd base with less than 2 outs.

Right, and again...what about the pitching?

Right, and again...what about the pitching?

Since May 3rd we are top 3 in baseball in team era, before last 3 games we were number 1. I believe we need more pitching too, but a pitcher or two could come from within(Nelson Sanchez Rasmussen Perdomo) that’s not the case with our hitting.

Archived