Brewer Fanatic

Edwin Encarnacion

I think this is the guy we should target if Aguilar continues to be this awful. We need another reliable right handed bat and Encarnacion is that guy. Seattle will probably be happy just to get rid of his contract so he should come cheap.

Encarnacion makes 20 million this year so picking him up at the deadline will probably cost us 10 million which is a lot but ownership has never been shy about spending when we are in contention. He also has a club option next season for 20 million with a 5 million buyout so we would be on the hook for at least 15 million if we decline the option. I think this team is in desperate need for a big time right handed bat to balance the lineup.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is the guy we should target if Aguilar continues to be this awful. We need another reliable right handed bat and Encarnacion is that guy. Seattle will probably be happy just to get rid of his contract so he should come cheap.

Encarnacion makes 20 million this year so picking him up at the deadline will probably cost us 10 million which is a lot but ownership has never been shy about spending when we are in contention. He also has a club option next season for 20 million with a 5 million buyout so we would be on the hook for at least 15 million if we decline the option. I think this team is in desperate need for a big time right handed bat to balance the lineup.

Yes, absolutely should be at the top our list. Great game changing bat that this team needs. Dipoto not afraid to do trades at any time of the season, so the sooner the better. If it’s done now, lookin at 20 mil incl the buyout. Encarnacion + 5 mil. > Aguilar.

I'd pass. Aguilar hasn't had a good season and Edwin has, but Aguilar was better in just about every statistical category last year. I'd be very hesitant to assume that both their trends this year continue all season.

In any event, if we had the budget flexibility for this kind of move, we surely wouldn't after the move. If we're going to max our payroll out, better to do it in July so we can see what our needs really are first.

I'd pass. Aguilar hasn't had a good season and Edwin has, but Aguilar was better in just about every statistical category last year. I'd be very hesitant to assume that both their trends this year continue all season.

In any event, if we had the budget flexibility for this kind of move, we surely wouldn't after the move. If we're going to max our payroll out, better to do it in July so we can see what our needs really are first.

Aguilar has been terrible since the second half of last year and Encarnacion has been good for years. We desperately need a right handed bat and Encarnacion will come cheap. Yeah the contract isn't ideal but having a first baseman slugging in the low .300s is not acceptable for a contending team.

We need a legit right handed threat to help balance this lineup. Hopefully Hiura can help this situation and Braun continues to be at least decent but the first base situation needs to be fixed. Seattle will probably just be happy to dump the contract and we should pounce on this opportunity unless Aguilar all of a sudden starts hitting which I don't expect to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Aguilar has been terrible since the second half of last year and Encarnacion has been good for years. We desperately need a right handed bat and Encarnacion will come cheap. Yeah the contract isn't ideal but having a first baseman slugging in the low .300s is not acceptable for a contending team.

We need a legit right handed threat to help balance this lineup. Hopefully Hiura can help this situation and Braun continues to be at least decent but the first base situation needs to be fixed. Seattle will probably just be happy to dump the contract and we should pounce on this opportunity unless Aguilar all of a sudden starts hitting which I don't expect to happen.

Go look at the numbers Jesus put up from August on last year. Saying Aguilar has been terrible since the second half of last year is simply incorrect. He hasn't been great this year, but also isn't the black hole he's being made out as. This is a "grass is always greener" argument right now, as we are still early in the season. If we get to the end of June and Jesus is still struggling to find his power, then making a move would be a consideration.

Go look at the numbers Jesus put up from August on last year. Saying Aguilar has been terrible since the second half of last year is simply incorrect. He hasn't been great this year, but also isn't the black hole he's being made out as. This is a "grass is always greener" argument right now, as we are still early in the season. If we get to the end of June and Jesus is still struggling to find his power, then making a move would be a consideration.

Aguilar is slugging .304 right now. His OBP is good considering his BA but he has flat out been terrible all year. I am more than willing to give him at least a few more weeks to turn things around but if he doesn't he needs to be replaced and Encarnacion is a perfect replacement.

Aguilar is slugging .304 right now. His OBP is good considering his BA but he has flat out been terrible all year. I am more than willing to give him at least a few more weeks to turn things around but if he doesn't he needs to be replaced and Encarnacion is a perfect replacement.

Everyone knows what he is doing right now hasn't been great. But we are only 50 games into a 162-game season. I think the much more prudent thing to do is hold tight, and look at making a move in July if there isn't any improvement at the 1B position. While you personally may not expect Aguilar to start hitting, I would hope the Brewers do.

Encarnacion would clearly be the safer choice from here on out. He's been consistent for years whereas it sure looks like Jesus won't come close to what he was for that awesome run he had last year. Of course you never know, but if you were gambling on who would be better to finish this year I'd say you'd be a fool to not bet on Encarnacion.

That said, whether its worth the financial cost is a whole different discussion.

Encarnacion would clearly be the safer choice from here on out. He's been consistent for years whereas it sure looks like Jesus won't come close to what he was for that awesome run he had last year. Of course you never know, but if you were gambling on who would be better to finish this year I'd say you'd be a fool to not bet on Encarnacion.

That said, whether its worth the financial cost is a whole different discussion.

Its a short term commitment and it will probably be just a complete salary dump by Seattle. Attanasio has shown a willingness to expand payroll when we are in contention and this is a perfect opportunity. Our prospect pool is quite shallow at this point in time so a chance to acquire a big right handed bat at the low cost of pretty much just money is perfect.

We still have time to see if Aguilar will hit but if he doesn't we really need to upgrade. We don't have a consistent right handed power threat other than Braun and there are plenty of questions about him as well so this is a nice potential fix for this issue.

"We desperately need a right handed bat"

No, we don't. Check the numbers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Our right hand bats are Cain who is a great all around player but not a power threat, Braun who is still a decent player but hurt a lot, Aguilar with his .304 slugging pct, Grandal who is better as a lefty, Hiura who will be great but maybe not this year, Arcia who is not a great offensive player and Perez with his sub .300 OBP.

We can definitely use an upgrade at first base if Aguilar doesnt show major improvement. If Aguilar improves dramatically in the next month or so maybe we don't have to make a move like this but there is a good chance that he doesn't.

Our right hand bats are Cain who is a great all around player but not a power threat, Braun who is still a decent player but hurt a lot, Aguilar with his .304 slugging pct, Grandal who is better as a lefty, Hiura who will be great but maybe not this year, Arcia who is not a great offensive player and Perez with his sub .300 OBP.

We can definitely use an upgrade at first base if Aguilar doesnt show major improvement. If Aguilar improves dramatically in the next month or so maybe we don't have to make a move like this but there is a good chance that he doesn't.

The sample size simply isn't large enough to make a determination like that. He has shown he can hit Big League pitching to very good success. Yes, there is a chance that he doesn't improve, but saying its a good chance is simply unsubstantiated opinion.

Encarnacion is making close to $22M this year so Stearns is going to take on $11-12M plus $5M for next year. I don't see Stearns putting out another $16M or more for a rental. Aguilar isn't as bad as many are making him out to be. Way too much money for a rental.

Encarnacion is making close to $22M this year so Stearns is going to take on $11-12M plus $5M for next year. I don't see Stearns putting out another $16M or more for a rental. Aguilar isn't as bad as many are making him out to be. Way too much money for a rental.

Aguilar is worse than he’s being made out to be. His ONLY tool is gone, slugging .300. And in addition to that pathetic number, when he gets on base he hurts the team TOTALLY CLOGGING the bases with his turtle/sloth like jogging. He and Shaw have cost this team at least 5 wins min.

This team at some point is going to need much much much more production out of first base. Maybe it’ll come from Thames/Aguilar > I don’t think it will < maybe it’ll come from Shaw and Hiura > probably not both. So that leaves a trade.

Farm system not strong, we should be looking for quality high priced veteran players we can get for little prospect capitol but lots of salary. Encarnacion fits the bill perfectly. GAME CHANGING BAT. This team needs pro bats.

Aguilar has a .424 OBP in May. He's got two years of production.

Doubt we're going to put our resources into another 1B only player and give up on a guy like Aguilar. Especially when we have bigger needs, ie, BP arms.

Aguilar is worse than he’s being made out to be. His ONLY tool is gone, slugging .300. And in addition to that pathetic number, when he gets on base he hurts the team TOTALLY CLOGGING the bases with his turtle/sloth like jogging. He and Shaw have cost this team at least 5 wins min.

This team at some point is going to need much much much more production out of first base. Maybe it’ll come from Thames/Aguilar > I don’t think it will < maybe it’ll come from Shaw and Hiura > probably not both. So that leaves a trade.

Farm system not strong, we should be looking for quality high priced veteran players we can get for little prospect capitol but lots of salary. Encarnacion fits the bill perfectly. GAME CHANGING BAT. This team needs pro bats.

I assume that you're given up on Corbin Burnes then as well, right? If you're willing to declare after two very productive seasons, his first two seasons getting regular playing time, that Jesus is so awful that he provides absolutely nothing to the team, then surely you must believe that Corbin Burnes is done. We might as well just dump both of them.

I assume that you're given up on Corbin Burnes then as well, right? If you're willing to declare after two very productive seasons, his first two seasons getting regular playing time, that Jesus is so awful that he provides absolutely nothing to the team, then surely you must believe that Corbin Burnes is done. We might as well just dump both of them.

I believe Aguilar hurts the team IF he’s not hitting home runs. It’s my opinion based on his powerless batting up to this point in time. What scares me about him is he’s not even powering the ball to within 30 feet of the warning track. Stearns isn’t impulsive like I am so there will be more time for him to turn it around, same with Thames, I’m just not confident in Aguilar to do that.

Burnes pitched well THIS year when moved to the pen, he’ll be fine, todays outing better than last Friday’s debacle, so he’s moving in right direction.

Verified Member
If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

If we are permanently giving up on Aguilar, which is what this trade would necessitate roster-wise, then we could get better production than Encarnacion by signing Danny Valencia for nothing and platooning him with Thames.

Really?

.260/.376/.902

36 runs. 13 HR 34 rbi

29 bb. 36 ks

Ops+ > 146

Edwin Encarnacion ^^

29 walks and 36 ks = professional hitter ^^

[in any event, if we had the budget flexibility for this kind of move, we surely wouldn't after the move. If we're going to max our payroll out, better to do it in July so we can see what our needs really]

If this would happen, and Stearns traded for Encarnacion, I'd be onboard 100%. I have 2 questions though. Since Edwin is having another good offensive year, 1. why would Seattle even want to trade him in the first place? And if they are open to it, 2. why would Seattle's asking price for the Crew to get him, likely be low? Wouldn't the Mariners want to keep him since he's playing well, no matter what his salary is? Just wondering. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I know Seattle's start to the season hasn't been the greatest, but the season is still young first of all, and they just brought in some young, talented players via trades and free agency, and at least a Veteran free agent or 2, if I'm not mistaken. And because of their moves, weren't they also thought of as a team to possibly make a serious run in the playoffs?

Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Here's a question...

I think that we all know that we couldn't afford both, so where would you rather try to spend Mark A's $$$...

Encarnacion or Kimbrel?

Even setting aside the asset that you'd have to give up to get the former, this team needs the latter a lot more IMHO.

Imo, I would spend the $/prospects for Edwin. I think the Crew needs a proven and consistent RH power bat to even out the lineup a bit. I agree the Brewers also need help pitching (both the rotation and pen imo), but I still think I'd consider the bat as the bigger need right now at least.

Fair enough. I disagree, but I respect your opinion. Consider this though... the lineup won't wear down as the year goes on without Encarnacion. The bullpen - and particularly Hader - might.
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I also understand and respect your opinion, while neither agreeing or disagreeing with it :laughing . To me, it comes down to personal preference. I agree that pitchers in both the rotation and pen usually wear down throughout the regular season more often than an offense. Imo though, a pitcher or 2 could be found via our farm system, or via waiver wire(of which Stearns has a good track record of plucking talented players from), or even a second smaller type trade for a solid type pitcher. Edwin has proven to be consistent power threat for a while now, even though he's getting older. Yes, his offensive game could decline because he's getting older, but I don't think they'll drop too drastically by the end of next year. And since his #'s are still good, and his contract is up after next season, that pretty much fits the Crew's "timeline" for winning a World Series or 2 during this year and next. Since they were only a win away last year. The more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent that there's really no wrong answer lol. As far as Kimbrel, I honestly think his best days are behind him. Don't get me wrong, he's been a phenomenal pitcher for a long time, but imo not anymore. Especially for what his salary demands supposedly are. If they trade for Edwin, I'd bet they'd still at least make a serious attempt to trade for a younger pitcher by the trade deadline.

[in any event, if we had the budget flexibility for this kind of move, we surely wouldn't after the move. If we're going to max our payroll out, better to do it in July so we can see what our needs really]

If this would happen, and Stearns traded for Encarnacion, I'd be onboard 100%. I have 2 questions though. Since Edwin is having another good offensive year, 1. why would Seattle even want to trade him in the first place? And if they are open to it, 2. why would Seattle's asking price for the Crew to get him, likely be low? Wouldn't the Mariners want to keep him since he's playing well, no matter what his salary is? Just wondering. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I know Seattle's start to the season hasn't been the greatest, but the season is still young first of all, and they just brought in some young, talented players via trades and free agency, and at least a Veteran free agent or 2, if I'm not mistaken. And because of their moves, weren't they also thought of as a team to possibly make a serious run in the playoffs?

DiPoto isn’t stupid. Their team since the fast start is one of the worst in baseball, they are going nowhere this year. He swapped one 20 mil contract for another In Santana, so I’m pretty sure he’d have no problem trading Encarnacion, but I also don’t think it’ll be a salary dump only trade. He’s having too good of a year, with a great pedigree to dump just to get rid of his salary. My proposal if the trade happens before July:

Encarnacion + 5 mil > Aguilar

Archived