Brewer Fanatic

2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich will NOT participate in HR Derby]

jjfanec
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby.

I think he’ll do well. I enjoy watching him hit batting practice because his line drive home runs are a thing of beauty. He shouldn’t need to alter his swing at all for the derby.

I hope it doesn't screw him up. We have seen plenty of guys that got messed up for a bit after it.

Interesting examination into the HR Derby "curse"...

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/7/5/15919218/home-run-derby-curse-2017

"To what extent does the Home Run Derby play into this drop in performance? I’m going to say little-to-none. More often than not, players selected to the Derby are those who are having extremely lucky first halves. That’s why they have been selected in the first place!"

"To what extent does the Home Run Derby play into this drop in performance? I’m going to say little-to-none. More often than not, players selected to the Derby are those who are having extremely lucky first halves. That’s why they have been selected in the first place!"

I would be more interested into stats for the first 3 weeks after Home Run Derby as I don't think it affects the whole second half just 15 or 20 games immediately after the derby

Community Moderator

# of All Stars per National League team:

Brewers - 4

Dodgers - 4

Rockies - 4

Braves - 3

Cubs - 3

Mets - 3

Nationals - 2

Dbacks - 2

Padres - 1

Giants - 1

Reds - 1

Pirates - 1

Cardinals - 1

Marlins - 1

Phillies - 1

Not just “at Night” anymore.

# of All Stars per National League team:

Brewers - 4

Dodgers - 4

Rockies - 4

Braves - 3

Cubs - 3

Mets - 3

Nationals - 2

Dbacks - 2

Padres - 1

Giants - 1

Reds - 1

Pirates - 1

Cardinals - 1

Marlins - 1

Phillies - 1

Only 3 for the Cubs?! It wasn't that long ago when half of the AS roster was full of them...

I would be more interested into stats for the first 3 weeks after Home Run Derby as I don't think it affects the whole second half just 15 or 20 games immediately after the derby

I have a hard time believing a professional baseball player forgets how to swing for any amount of time just because he tried to hit homeruns in batting practice. I wonder when/where this idea first took hold, I feel like it's about as meaningful towards actual outcomes as mentioning a no-hitter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would say any perceived drop in performance after a home run derby is because a lot of guys have really good first halves (hence the invitation to the derby) and then come back to the norm in the 2nd giving the appearance that the derby somehow caused the drop.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope that MLB goes back to the Home Run Derby format of the past where you had the 10 outs and could hit as many homeruns before accumulating 10 non-homeruns. The whole timed thing and receiving awarded bonus time and needing to wait for the ball to hit the ground before the next pitch is thrown is stupid in my opinion. I used to enjoy the Home Run Derby before the format change, but now it’s hard to even watch.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Now he won't mess up his swing
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Christian Yelich has been scratched from the Home Run Derby due to lower back tightness.

Glad he's not pushing this by swinging umpteen times as hard as he can in a short period of time... just rest.

I'm glad Yelich didn't participate in the HR derby last night. Was it just me or did it seem like the guys pitching to the hitters last night not wait for the balls to land before throwing the next pitch?

Archived