Brewer Fanatic

2019 All Star possibilities [Latest: Yelich will NOT participate in HR Derby]

jjfanec
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the negativity Harper has been getting, Machado is flying under the radar for so far resorting back to his just good/ok hitting, not his outlyer half season he had last year. Currently at a 730 OPS and .327 obp.

This really isn't true. He was pretty darn good three of the last four years. Which really is no good thing for the Padres because, in my opinion, he has been a surprise bust this year. I didn't think .950 OPS Machado was going to be a thing...but wow, sub .800? I don't think anyone expected that.

Teams really sell out for these young FAs....and it has not been going too good.

I mean, I said Good. I was just one who was very skeptical on him being that just in 2017 the guy had a .310 OBP. And even the better years before that are in the 800s OPS. Again, that's good and all especially for someone who can play 3b/SS. But it's not this generational/freak level hitter he was hyped as (he's basically done that for one half season). Even you Braun/Fielder level guys floated in the upper 900s. That's all I was saying, I didn't say he sucked or anything. Nothing wrong with just being good, I just thought the hype was out of whack when were looking at getting him due to his hot start last year which he then cooled right off to finish and hasn't picked it up yet this year.

Age though of course is a big perk in his and Bryce's deal. Giving out those deals at 25/26 is way different than at 31ish.

But when is the last time you've seen MLB players not trying in an ASG?

Pitchers are still trying to get guys out, guys are trying to make plays in the field on defense, batters are trying to hit. They're trying to win. I don't really see the conflict. Baseball has always been the best of the All Star games.

I never thought home field advantage for the WS was ever big enough stakes anyway, if guys are considering playing at less than 100% effort to protect themselves from injury that "prize" isn't going to stop them.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Community Moderator

I still think MLB could do more to make the all-star week more creative. They have improved the home run derby so I know they are capable of it. At some point it might not make sense to play a traditional 9-inning baseball game anymore. They could experiment with different rules, do a skills competition, basically anything to make it fun and showcase their stars.

Imagine how much social media attention they would get if they allowed the fans to vote on some rule changes for the all-star game...let people be creative. Put a pit of alligators in the outfield, award bonus runs for stealing bases, etc.

Well it's just such a less physical game for everyone other than the P/C that there really isn't any reason not to try. Football, hoops and hockey you're risking injury every play.

Playing to win is different when the game matters. Bunting a guy over, getting a decent secondary lead, stretching a double into a triple, not trying for the Jack when contact will get the go ahead run in in the late innings, just running out a grounder.... if the game doesn't matter, the effort and team care level in these situations goes down naturally and hero ball is more apparent.

• 3 weeks later...
Verified Member

Yelich - Is a lock now

Moustakas - Should be a Lock

Grandal - is likely to be picked for there isn't many better catchers in the league

Hader - Clearly a lock

Woodruff - Could but can't say it's a lock

Davies - Had a hot start to the season but he has had too many bad starts and isn't getting enough strike outs to even have a chance

Well. There goes Yelich for the second half

Just get rid of the home run derby. Who freaking watches that anyways

Lots of people. And Yelich will be fine. He was never going to keep hitting .350 and be on pace for 90 HR's.

He's struggling now, so people will attribute any struggles he has to the HR derby.

He'll be fine. I worried more about Prince or if Moose were to do it.

Yelich doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to be all that successful in the derby.

Then again, I never thought he'd be a 30+ HR guy to begin with and here we are, so what do I know?

Selfishly, I wish Yelich would skip the Derby. He’s facing his first real slump in almost a year and is playing every day trying to carry the team on his back. The nonstop activity of the offseason may be catching up to him. I’d like to see him take it as easy as possible during the All Star break while starting in the game and getting a couple of ABs.

On the other hand, if it’s something he really wants to do, then let him take advantage of the opportunity. Life and fame can be short.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Yelich is obviously frustrates and fighting himself right now, as evidenced by his comments last night that he has been hitting like a pitcher for the last two weeks.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby. He hits that ball hard almost every time he swings. Even his ground outs often after rockets. Going for homers he could smack a lot of them out.

I’m surprised people still believe it ruins a swing or it is the reason players struggle in the second half. Someone did a pretty deep study on the topic and there was no correlation between second half slumps and the HR Derby participants. Non HR Derby participants struggled just as much and sometimes notably worse than HR Derby participants.

The All Star game is simply loaded with half year wonders and people that are on unsustainable paces. A notably worse second half is just reality.

Community Moderator
Christian Yelich could actually surprise one in the derby.

I think he’ll do well. I enjoy watching him hit batting practice because his line drive home runs are a thing of beauty. He shouldn’t need to alter his swing at all for the derby.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived