Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-19: Brewers (Woodruff) at Braves (Foltynewicz) [Brewers win, 3-2 in 10 innings -- Solo HRs from Yelich, Hiura, Gamel; Woodruff lasts 8 IP]

Eye Black
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all the people judging Hiura on 20 MLB at bats are being ridiculous.

Give the kid a chance. Imagine what goes through your head the first couple of weeks in the show.

Geez.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think all the people judging Hiura on 20 MLB at bats are being ridiculous.

Give the kid a chance. Imagine what goes through your head the first couple of weeks in the show.

Geez.

Where did I say I wasn't giving him a chance? Of course someday he'll figure it out. He hasn't up to this point though and it would be ridiculous to say he has, as evidenced by him consistently swinging right through them.

Just stop guys. You can’t say anything that isn’t positive about Hiura.

It doesn’t matter if he has truly been behind fastballs worse than a bullpen arm trying to bat. You will automatically be assumed to hate Hiura, wishing him to fail, or overreacting.

Hiura has been pretty bad so far and has been painfully behind fastballs all too often. Facts if you want to like it or not. That being said no one said it was any prediction of the future. I’d fling fastballs all day long at him too until he actually starts hitting them consistently.

Let’s see how long Murph leaves woody in today, the way he’s pitching I hope it’s til it’s over.

61 pitches through 6 innings - could easily happen.

As long as it is close I would leave him in, all of the key relievers pitched last night and he is cruising right now. Give him a shot to finish it, it's not like you need to PH for him.

With the talk about Hiura struggling with fastballs right now....

What is the difference between the average MPH on fastballs from MLB to AAA? Gotta be a way to look it up, but I have no idea how. I wouldn't think there would be a drastic difference. The AAA bullpens obviously won't have 5 guys throwing 98+ like some MLB pens do, but you'd think the starters velocity would be pretty close.

What is the difference between the average MPH on fastballs from MLB to AAA? Gotta be a way to look it up, but I have no idea how. I wouldn't think there would be a drastic difference. The AAA bullpens obviously won't have 5 guys throwing 98+ like some MLB pens do, but you'd think the starters velocity would be pretty close.

I really think it's more about the secondary stuff. Guys at this level have much better secondary pitches and locate them much more consistently. Could be a matter of him just guessing up there not knowing what's coming.

No close up replay shown yet, but slo mo on DVR looked safe. Hope we didn't just pass up a chance to overturn a bad call that would have meant bases loaded.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

No close up replay shown yet, but slo mo on DVR looked safe. Hope we didn't just pass up a chance to overturn a bad call that would have meant bases loaded.

Us getting a replay call in our favor? Yelich could hit a 500 foot home run to dead center and New York would say foul ball.

Hiura had a 2 hit night in his debut against a starter throwing 90-91 mph. Since then he's faced pretty much nothing but guys throwing mid to upper 90s. The batspeed is there, the timing isn't yet with that legkick against velocity - the fact he's punished offspeed pitches in the zone the handful of times he's seen them is a good sign. I'd look for them to try and get the legkick just a bit less pronounced to give him the extra milliseconds needed to catch up to the increased velo.

I'd rather have Hiura needing to make this adjustment than looking ok on fastballs but being completely off balance and getting fooled against offspeed consistently.

Why on earth wouldn't Murph challenge that anyway? Even if you lose, at this point late in the game they will go look at anything on an umpire review if you ask them to.

Verified Member

I just went and counted. Guess how many 95.5+ mph pitches Hiura has swung through so far in his lengthy MLB career, which has given rise to this narrative?

A grand total of 4 :laughing

Archived