Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-17: Brewers (Chacín) at Braves (Fried) [Brewers lose, 12-8]

Eye Black

Barnes is a fantastic mop up pitcher.

All these comments about Burnes are gonna look so silly moving forward. He WILL help us win a World Series. Barnes, barring catastrophic injuries, will stay in AAA or be DFA’d.

You can say he’s paid to get outs all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact CC left him in too long. And for peoples not to see that, is just denying the obvious.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

All these comments about Burnes are gonna look so silly moving forward. He WILL help us win a World Series. Barnes, barring catastrophic injuries, will stay in AAA or be DFA’d.

You can say he’s paid to get outs all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact CC left him in too long. And for peoples not to see that, is just denying the obvious.

I get it. You like Burnes. But he was a trash heap tonight, and has been bad a lot this year. That's on him, not Counsell. Perhaps tonight was hopefully a learning experience for him. But if he has another bad outing, I'm betting he'll be on a plane for San Antonio very soon.

First of all, haven't you been beating the drum for awhile that Stearns and Counsell are simply above reproach, and any attempt to question them is foolhardy?

Secondly, if you think Counsell owes Burnes some kind of apology, I don't know what to say other than that I think it's an absurd take. Burnes got into trouble, and by the time he gave up the first HR, the game seemed to be in hand. So he was given a chance to try to work out of it, and he couldn't. That's not on Counsell, and I'm flabbergasted that anyone would think it is. It is not Craig Counsell's job to protect Corbin Burnes from any additional trouble any time he gets himself in trouble. This was not a 1 run game after Burnes gave up the first tator.

And finally, I love Corbin Burnes and his upside, and he's been a fantastic reliever for us already last season. And he's even had some good important moments this season. But come on, there's clearly some major issues right now, because the dude has been absolutely tattooed this year and his current numbers are off the charts bad. He's not in the "high leverage reliever" conversation right now. He's far closer to the "AAA" conversation. And that's absolutely okay, he'll get back to the high leverage conversation at some point.

But it seems like you're implying that his tattooing tonight was simply a matter of being put in an inappropriate role and being left in it too long. That's just grasping at straws. He got shelled tonight because he got shelled, and at this point they just need to decide what the next step is from here. But he doesn't need excuses, and I'm sure he doesn't want the excuses.

Also, I'm just curious as to what exactly you think Counsell accomplishes by pulling Burnes there if he pulls him after HR #1. What is the objective to pull him there that makes Counsell so wrong? Keep him from being overworked? Goodness, he was at 12 pitches, a very light load for a multi inning guy. It's not like he was at 50 pitches and CC just let it ride.

Preserve his confidence? He's got numerous 3 HR outings this year, I think he's well aware of where he's at right now. If anything I'd argue it was a solid strategy to try to give him the opportunity to work out of it in a likely meaningless game at 7-0 and leave the game feeling good about something.

Or are you arguing it was a meaningful, not lost game? If so, why are you going to Barnes, who you say is trash? What is one thing that Craig accomplishes differently by pulling Burnes at 12 pitches? Just one, single thing.

There is just absolutely zero logic in your argument whatsoever and it's based solely on your love for Burnes, who we all love, but come on.

Archived