Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-17: Brewers (Chacín) at Braves (Fried) [Brewers lose, 12-8]

Eye Black
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
A lot of ugly tonight, but some positives include Arcia showing glimpses of the approach of a decent major league hitter, Hiura with a pair of hits (yes one bad running decision), and Jacob Nottingham goes yard for his first MLB HR.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Has to be some sort of mechanical issue with Burnes to be this bad this year. Not high leverage enough excuse is a complete joke. Send him to San Antonio to get it figured out. He can still help us later this year.

So you want Taylor Williams over Burnes? Really? One bad inning of relief in a game he never should have pitched in. Watch burnes in high leverage situations > totally different pitcher than we saw today. If I were Stearns I’d ask CC what the heck?

I'm not sure why I respond to you, but 0-3 in the 6th isn't mop-up duty. If he can't get the juices flowing in a game like that and he's only good when he gets his shot of adrenaline, the guy is going to have a short career.

I don't think he will. I think he'll figure out how to pitch coolly in all situations and end up as a very good starter for us. But right now his role is either middle relief at the MLB level or starting in the minors. 0-3 in the 6th is the very definition of middle relief and when he should be used.

We will just agree to disagree then. Some pitchers just pitch better in relief with the game on the line > Burnes.

And some pitch well in mop up roles > Barnes

Has to be some sort of mechanical issue with Burnes to be this bad this year. Not high leverage enough excuse is a complete joke. Send him to San Antonio to get it figured out. He can still help us later this year.

Burnes down for Anderson... get Burnes straightened out.

So you want Taylor Williams over Burnes? Really? One bad inning of relief in a game he never should have pitched in. Watch burnes in high leverage situations > totally different pitcher than we saw today. If I were Stearns I’d ask CC what the heck?

I'm not sure why I respond to you, but 0-3 in the 6th isn't mop-up duty. If he can't get the juices flowing in a game like that and he's only good when he gets his shot of adrenaline, the guy is going to have a short career.

I don't think he will. I think he'll figure out how to pitch coolly in all situations and end up as a very good starter for us. But right now his role is either middle relief at the MLB level or starting in the minors. 0-3 in the 6th is the very definition of middle relief and when he should be used.

We will just agree to disagree then. Some pitchers just pitch better in relief with the game on the line > Burnes.

And some pitch well in mop up roles > Barnes

They were down 3-0. I get that they were down but you don't go oh well I quit its 3 runs.

Perez stays at 0 ERA

Stearns not sending Burnes to AAA. He’s pitching in this pen, thank you very much for your concern though.

Ok, I will say not a lot of choices tonight with respect to who to pitch the 6th. Barnes Albers Houser Peralta Burnes. Houser pitched yesterday so he out. Peralta being saved for tomorrow’s game? So that leaves Burnes Albers Barnes.

So ok Burnes, to pitch the 6th. But when the whole world saw he not have it, why leave him in for the last 2 home runs. That was terrible.

If we rally here Hernan could still get the win!

dinger, BB, BB, bloop, dingers, couple more BBs, dinger--you never know!

I'd say the chances at the start of the inning were about .01% now it's at least 4%.

Verified Member
Angry at CC. Why leave him in this long to give up 2 extra hrs. Worst decision he’s made all year. Barnes should have been in this inning to begin, but certainly before last 2 home runs. I hope he apologizes to burnes and takes responsibility for this debacle.

I'm just going to quote this for the overall insane oddity of its almost correctness, but not quite. Similar to our 9th inning rally--which in the end, means...nothing.....

The Brewers are Two-Thirds of the way to tying the record for greatest comeback in MLB history.

But not the greatest 9th inning comeback, that's a record held by the Detroit Tigers against...

The 1901 Milwaukee Brewers https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/april-25-1901-tigers-magnificent-batting-rally-caps-10-run-comeback-al-opener

Angry at CC. Why leave him in this long to give up 2 extra hrs. Worst decision he’s made all year. Barnes should have been in this inning to begin, but certainly before last 2 home runs. I hope he apologizes to burnes and takes responsibility for this debacle.

I'm just going to quote this for the overall insane oddity of its almost correctness, but not quite. Similar to our 9th inning rally--which in the end, means...nothing.....

It is the right thing to do, apologize for not taking him out sooner. It’s what you would do if you were manager, it’s what I would do, and it’s what CC will do.

Verified Member

It is the right thing to do, apologize for not taking him out sooner. It’s what you would do if you were manager, it’s what I would do, and it’s what CC will do.

nuthin to c here

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Apologize? Burnes is a professional pitcher. It's his job to get outs. This is craziness.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stearns not sending Burnes to AAA. He’s pitching in this pen, thank you very much for your concern though.

Unless you are David Stearns or Craig Counsell, you don't know this. After his outing tonight, it doesn't not make sense to send him down.

By the way, Barnes looked great tonight.

Archived