Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-16: Brewers (Davies) at Phillies (Eflin) [Brewers win, 11-3 -- Four home runs combined from Yelich (2), Grandal, and Moustakas; Braun stays hot at the plate]

Eye Black
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like hitting and pitching, the defense has ebbs and flows as well. It's a long season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Arcia needs to be great in the field considering his bat. Somebody needs to get on him and up the accountability with him. He seems almost lackadaisical in his approach. Not getting in front of balls following through on throws. He needs to be better especially with this pitching staff.

As much as I like Moustakas, it's kind of hard to believe when you look up his career numbers and see he's only a .740 career OPS hitter. Less than Jonathan Schoop, for comparison.

With Moustakas it's more helpful to look at him like 2 different players in a way. 2011-2014 was one player, and then in 2015 he figured something out and has been a much different (and better) hitter. 82 wRC+ before, 114 wRC+ since.

Not a fan of Arcia in the field. At least this year. Just make the routine play. He doesn't do it consistently enough this year.

Yeah, he was 22nd in errors in the league last season despite spending a good portion of it down in AAA and is in the top 5 in errors this year with 8 already.

He can definitely make the highlight reel play, but for someone with a reputation as a defensive whiz, his name comes up in a negative defensive context a little too often.

I suppose Davies was due for a non Ace-like outing at some point.

Davies has been as fine as usual IMO. Just the 2 hits, 3 errors behind him. He should have been out of the last inning with no damage.

Davies has been as fine as usual IMO. Just the 2 hits, 3 errors behind him. He should have been out of the last inning with no damage.

Davies has been just as much of an "ace" as the Phillies "ace". Throwing the ball well this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm glad we got a run out of that but I don't understand the bunt if Thames is going directly back to 3B on it. We are just giving up an out at that point.

I'm glad we got a run out of that but I don't understand the bunt if Thames is going directly back to 3B on it. We are just giving up an out at that point.

Pretty sure it was a safety squeeze and it was a little bit too much back to the mound for him to break right away.

He actually did it the way you have to if it was a safety squeeze.

Community Moderator
This has been a strange game to watch.

It already has the feel of being one of those days where whoever ultimately loses is going to experience frustration over the mistakes and missed opportunities.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davies has been just as much of an "ace" as the Phillies "ace". Throwing the ball well this season.

I love Davies. Huge, huge fan, so don't misconstrue what I said as bashing him. Every pitcher has a day when they just aren't as crisp. And I agree, the defense hasn't done him any favors.

Arcia needs to be great in the field considering his bat. Somebody needs to get on him and up the accountability with him. He seems almost lackadaisical in his approach. Not getting in front of balls following through on throws. He needs to be better especially with this pitching staff.

He has looked not good for a few games on defense. He needs to be benched for Perez for a couple of games. That will probably get him focused again.

Community Moderator

Arcia's bat has actually been above average this year, which is great considering how terrible he was early. He's really coming around on that part of his game.

An ugly couple of defensive games for him, though.

Archived