Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-15: Brewers (González) at Phillies (Arrieta) [Brewers win, 5-2]

Eye Black
Verified Member
Once the computers take over the strike zone, I think there should be another zone 1 foot or so around the actual strike zone. If the pitch misses that zone it counts for 2 balls.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omg, please let Kratz rejoin this team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I missed the game. How did Hiura look at the plate tonight? I know he went 0 for 4

Nothing hit particularly hard, and had chances to break the game open with RISP. But far from looking lost - only one strikeout and not chasing out of the zone.

I missed the game. How did Hiura look at the plate tonight? I know he went 0 for 4

Nothing hit particularly hard, and had chances to break the game open with RISP. But far from looking lost - only one strikeout and not chasing out of the zone.

Well on the K he did chase one breaker low. He forced 2 tough defensive plays and one he would have beat out if CC had challenged the play. Defensively he was quite good tonight.

1 worse than 2018

Runs scored 4.75

Runs allowed 4.27

Almost to .5

End of year 5 > 3.6 = 100+ wins

+1.4 is a lock for 100 wins

+1.1 with some luck is likely 100 wins.

Being +.5 and 7 games over 500 (94 pace)... being a team that has the pen to win the close games. I'd think 5 and 3.9 would do the trick.

I've pointed at 5 and 4.1 being the goal for over a year now. That was at the time that the Astros made their push to lessen Ks in their lineup, which we followed in 2018.

Nice turn by Hiura.

For a guy who isn't supposed to be much of a defender he hasn't looked bad at all.

Other than dropping a simple looping liner but fortunately recovering to start a DP he’s made the basic plays so far.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Nice turn by Hiura.

For a guy who isn't supposed to be much of a defender he hasn't looked bad at all.

Other than dropping a simple looping liner but fortunately recovering to start a DP he’s made the basic plays so far.

Showed solid range getting behind Arcia on the one he booted.

Charged and scooped a few real well tonight.

Good turns in the double play.

Done more than basic stuff.

Beautiful piece of hitting by Christian there going with where it was pitched and peppering left field.

Also, where is everyone tonight? Is there something else going on??

Yelich is one of those great hitters who gets a few hits even when he’s not seeing it well.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Verified Member

Being +5 and 6 games over 500... being a team that has the pen to win the close games. I'd think 5 and 3.9 would do the trick.

I've pointed at 5 and 4.1 being the goal for over a year now. That was at the time that the Astros made their lessen Ks push, which we followed in 2018.

I don't find the overall end results all that interesting, but when it's broken down into the strategies of WHY those end results happen I find it very interesting. Winning close games is basically how teams win in the playoffs. A good bullpen, defense, and having guys who don't strike out often are intuitively good strategies to win those kinds of games, but I don't know if the stats corroborate that kind of intuition.

Being +5 and 6 games over 500... being a team that has the pen to win the close games. I'd think 5 and 3.9 would do the trick.

I've pointed at 5 and 4.1 being the goal for over a year now. That was at the time that the Astros made their lessen Ks push, which we followed in 2018.

I don't find the overall end results all that interesting, but when it's broken down into the strategies of WHY those end results happen I find it very interesting. Winning close games is basically how teams win in the playoffs. A good bullpen, defense, and having guys who don't strike out often are intuitively good strategies to win those kinds of games, but I don't know if the stats corroborate that kind of intuition.

I did a write up on it in the Broxton days. Our record was highly dependent on K numbers. Games with 3BB or over and 9Ks or under were heavily skewed towards wins vs the contrary. I can't fully grasp the numbers these guys are dealing with but at the time I suggested that MKEs results coupled with the Astros huge shift to get even mediocre filler pieces in the lineup who just didn't K had something to do with an analytical point of saturation where if Ks by game reach a certain point, your offense completely decays.

Houston went from nearly a 11-12K team per game to south of 9. We were near 13 for stretches of the year.

Having guys who K 200 times is fine as long as its lessened by the whole. Walker, Granderson replacing Villar Broxton followed. Moose, Cain, Gamel are big influencers on that.

I don't know how to explain it or why. I just have little doubt the analytics guys keyed in on it for some reason.

There’s no reason for the Brewers to do anything dramatic with the backup catcher as long as Pina’s injury won’t keep him out more than 10 days. With off days Monday and Thursday next week, Grandal could catch tomorrow, 2 of the 3 against the Braves, both games against the Reds, and Friday and Saturday against the Phillies. Pins could come off the DL if healthy and catch a week from Sunday. So, whoever is the backup catcher would only have to start one game and be available for emergency duty the rest of the time.

Archived