Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-14: Brewers (Woodruff) at Phillies (Eickhoff) [Brewers win, 6-1 -- Keston Hiura makes MLB debut and goes 2-for-3 with BB]

Eye Black
Lost in the excitement of the Hiura debut was yet another very nice outing from Brandon Woodruff. The 5 walks weren't ideal, but he managed to scatter them enough where it didn't cost him. He's really come on in the last month. The Brewers' starting pitching is in a very good place right now. Pretty much since when Gio was signed. He's been a nice stabilizing pillar for the rotation.

They are going to have some interesting decisions soon on Anderson and Nelson.

And the bullpen is gonna get stronger still after Anderson and Nelson join the big club. Pen moving toward a superpen!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DFA Barnes, put Chase in the rotation, Peralta in the pen.

When Nelson comes up... now it gets interesting. I'd either DFA Albers, and put Nelson in the pen, or see what I can get for Chacin, and have Nelson in the rotation to replace him. Probably leaning towards the DFA of Albers, and doing with Nelson what the Braves did with Smoltz: Make him into a key bullpen part after coming off an arm injury.

When Nelson comes up... now it gets interesting. I'd either DFA Albers, and put Nelson in the pen, or see what I can get for Chacin, and have Nelson in the rotation to replace him. Probably leaning towards the DFA of Albers, and doing with Nelson what the Braves did with Smoltz: Make him into a key bullpen part after coming off an arm injury.

Anderson demotes Barnes

Nelson demotes Houser

No need to get fancy. 5 of Davies Gio Woodruff Chacin Anderson and Nelson start. The other joins Peralta Burnes in the multiple inning monster group.

That would be as close to a superpen as we’ve ever had:

Peralta

Houser

Nelson

Claudio

Jeffress

Burnes

Guerra

Hader

Then in June sign kimbrel or call up Rasmussen before September to add yet another dominant arm giving us the superpen to shut down the dodgers.

Adding 1 more removes Houser and you are forgetting 1 of the 5 starters will also get bumped to the pen for the playoffs.

Miley fake out... how about... gio to chacin where you either start your lefties and deal with Gio or you don't and Chacin makes you suffer for 4 innings until its super pen time.

We could bluff or not bluff with Gio every series until we actually use him.

Game 3 Gio starts they go RHB heavy... in comes Nelson

Game 4 Gio starts they do it again... in comes Anderson/Peralta

Game 5 Gio starts they don't stack he goes 3-4 ip.

nothing we didn't already know, but Hiura has such a pure stroke. So cool to see it on TV, here's to many more. How about Woodruff as of late!

well

22ip

4 starts and 4 wins

3 ER

17h....9bb/hb

1.23 era

1.18 whip

Before those 4 starts

5.81 era 1.48 whip

to

3.72 era 1.32 whip

That's what people in the business call a Zach Davies 1st month followed by a Zach Davies 2nd month.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nelson has never come out of the pen in his career, and they are keeping him on a strict schedule so far in his rehab. I don't see them backtracking and throwing him in the pen where he is going to have to warm fast to come into unplanned situations. That would seem like the opposite of what you should do with a guy coming off a major shoulder injury. I think its starter or bust for Nelson right now, and I'd lean very heavily toward the former. Hopefully things will sort themselves out in the next week or so, otherwise they will have to make a tough call.

That would be as close to a superpen as we’ve ever had:

Peralta

Houser

Nelson

Claudio

Jeffress

Burnes

Guerra

Hader

Then in June sign kimbrel or call up Rasmussen before September to add yet another dominant arm giving us the superpen to shut down the dodgers.

I know there are guys here who don't want Kimbrel but what is going on with this guy that he is still a FA?

nothing we didn't already know, but Hiura has such a pure stroke. So cool to see it on TV, here's to many more. How about Woodruff as of late!

Hiura is fast too! I'm glad to see Woodruff pitching so well. :)

I know there are guys here who don't want Kimbrel but what is going on with this guy that he is still a FA?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived