Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-14: Brewers (Woodruff) at Phillies (Eickhoff) [Brewers win, 6-1 -- Keston Hiura makes MLB debut and goes 2-for-3 with BB]

Eye Black
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing Hiura get a hit in his first MLB at bat reminds me of seeing BJ Surhoff’s first AB in 1987. We had seats in the lower deck behind the plate and realized early on that we were sitting directly behind Surhoff’s family. When he got the hit some of the family members were bouncing around excitedly while his Dad sat relatively stoically with his arms folded and a smile on his face that said “That’s my boy”. Surhoff hit a big game winning home run the next day in the Brewers third win of the season opening 13 game winning streak.

The sad postscript is that a couple of weeks later Surhoff’s Dad died unexpectedly from a heart attack. At least he got to see his son make the big leagues.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Is Shaw about to be Molly Pipped?

When your hitting below .180 it cannot be Wally Pipped.

Possibly... but it is probably Thames whose roster spot is most in jeopardy. With Moose and Shaw on 1 yr deals we likely need to keep Shaw around in case Moose leaves. Also, Shaw might become a bargain contract after this year.

Community Moderator
What an absolutely bogus overturn, but I'd expect no less from the MLB replay system.

The longer replay has been around the less confident I’ve become that they’ll get calls right. It also seems like the whole “call on the field stands without indisputable evidence” idea has never translated to baseball replay. It often feels like they are just guessing on the outcome without any actual regard to the call on the field.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I still don't understand why the manager is allowed to watch their own replay in the dugout before challenging. That is the main problem (besides replay itself), they don't get to do that in football. Replay should only be used for plays where the manager can tell with the naked eye that the call was wrong. That would handle the egregious mistakes and avoid these ridiculously close calls being reviewed all year long making no difference at all.

It's becoming more clear that the "guys in New York" are really nothing more than a few dudes arguing over cigars and brandy for a few minutes until the loudest voice eventually wins. It's a flipping joke. There was NOTHING to overturn an out call there. In fact if you want to say it was "inconclusive" I probably would have guessed on the side of him being out. It's a joke of a call and joke of a system, we really have almost every single inconclusive call go against us no matter what the ruling on the field was.

What an absolutely bogus overturn, but I'd expect no less from the MLB replay system.

The longer replay has been around the less confident I’ve become that they’ll get calls right. It also seems like the whole “call on the field stands without indisputable evidence” idea has never translated to baseball replay. It often feels like they are just guessing on the outcome without any actual regard to the call on the field.

Half the time the guy in New York is eating a meal or disposing of an old one.

That overturn was fine. Fingers looked in there pretty clearly before tag. Problem is tomorrow night the same level of evidence will result in a different outcome.

Don't agree. Fingers looked over the top of the base to me before they actually touched the base and looked like the tag occured during that lapse in time.

Community Moderator
It's becoming more clear that the "guys in New York" are really nothing more than a few dudes arguing over cigars and brandy for a few minutes until the loudest voice eventually wins. It's a flipping joke. There was NOTHING to overturn an out call there. In fact if you want to say it was "inconclusive" I probably would have guessed on the side of him being out. It's a joke of a call and joke of a system, we really have almost every single inconclusive call go against us no matter what the ruling on the field was.

170420_3506018_Bill_Swerski_s_Super_Fans.jpg

Or the real-life version (The Sports Writers on TV)...

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2Fsi%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F14%2F04%2F23%2F140423113157-sports-writers-on-tv-set-single-image-cut.jpg&w=1400&q=70

Not just “at Night” anymore.

That overturn was fine. Fingers looked in there pretty clearly before tag. Problem is tomorrow night the same level of evidence will result in a different outcome.

Don't agree. Fingers looked over the top of the base to me before they actually touched the base and looked like the tag occured during that lapse in time.

I’m watching the Phillies broadcast and their camera right on the base showed fingers on the base before the tag. A no doubter.

Archived