Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-13: Brewers (Peralta) at Phillies (Nola) [Brewers lose, 7-4 -- Brewers produce 12 hits, 8 walks, and strand 15 on base; Cain has a 5 hit night]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

47050723914_4ce279db07_c.jpg

47788197162_b11f60f5d0_c.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Phillies Lineup

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF 1. Andrew McCutchen ® LF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF 2. Jean Segura ® SS

3. Mike Moustakas (L) 2B 3. Bryce Harper (L) RF

4. Yasmani Grandal (S) C 4. Rhys Hoskins ® 1B

5. Eric Thames (L) 1B 5. J.T. Realmuto ® C

6. Travis Shaw (L) 3B 6. Cesar Hernandez (S) 2B

7. Orlando Arcia ® SS 7. Odubel Herrera (L) CF

8. Freddy Peralta ® P 8. Maikel Franco ® 3B

9. Ben Gamel (L) LF 9. Aaron Nola ® P[/pre]

Freddy Peralta: Batter (Phillies) vs Pitching Stats

Aaron Nola: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is exactly where the opener/piggybacking theory gets messed up. You simply can't hold back one of your relief arms to only pitch in a certain game because your starting pitcher cannot get out of his own head in the first inning. When you get into a situation where another starter makes a short start, or an extra inning game, you are damaging your depth.

Tonight is a huge start for Freddy. If he doesn't come through, I think there's a strong possibility that he's optioned to AAA or work on his secondary pitches and get over the mental hurdle of starting games. This team is going to need to find room for Anderson this week, and likely Nelson soon as well. Having all these solid starting pitching options is a terrific spot to be in.

This is exactly where the opener/piggybacking theory gets messed up. You simply can't hold back one of your relief arms to only pitch in a certain game because your starting pitcher cannot get out of his own head in the first inning. When you get into a situation where another starter makes a short start, or an extra inning game, you are damaging your depth.

Tonight is a huge start for Freddy. If he doesn't come through, I think there's a strong possibility that he's optioned to AAA or work on his secondary pitches and get over the mental hurdle of starting games. This team is going to need to find room for Anderson this week, and likely Nelson soon as well. Having all these solid starting pitching options is a terrific spot to be in.

I kind of disagree from the piggybacking standpoint - having a rotation spot/gameplan for two pitchers stretched out to be starters gives a manager some flexibility on dealing with extra inning games...as long as either starter in that piggybacking equation is able to actually start a game and give you at least 5 IP if the other one is needed for extra innings in a different game. Now, if Freddy is somehow unable to perform well when actually starting a game, then he's not part of a piggyback rotation spot - that makes him solely a long reliever and frankly would be sending him to the minors as soon as Anderson and/or Nelson are back with how the current staff is put together.

And in all honesty, if any pitching staff in today's game has to complete 18 inning and 15 inning games over the course of ~9 days with only 1 offday sandwiched in there, it's going to be in tatters on the back end of that schedule. Bottom line is the offense needs to score more runs to take the load off this staff for a while.

Agree.

Only I see it different than most on this site, I believe Peralta will pitch out of the bullpen, and will flourish. We need to get this pen back to a dominant pen sooner rather than later, and he can help get us there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I kind of disagree from the piggybacking standpoint - having a rotation spot/gameplan for two pitchers stretched out to be starters gives a manager some flexibility on dealing with extra inning games...as long as either starter in that piggybacking equation is able to actually start a game and give you at least 5 IP if the other one is needed for extra innings in a different game. Now, if Freddy is somehow unable to perform well when actually starting a game, then he's not part of a piggyback rotation spot - that makes him solely a long reliever and frankly would be sending him to the minors as soon as Anderson and/or Nelson are back with how the current staff is put together.

And in all honesty, if any pitching staff in today's game has to complete 18 inning and 15 inning games over the course of ~9 days with only 1 offday sandwiched in there, it's going to be in tatters on the back end of that schedule. Bottom line is the offense needs to score more runs to take the load off this staff for a while.

You're right ... what they are doing with Peralta isn't piggybacking the way you see it in the low minors. Those are typically 3-4 inning, 60-pitch stints. I have no doubt they are fine with Freddy throwing 100 pitches if he is effective. It's that mental hurdle of pitching in the 1st inning that seems to be a issue ... and it does hurt depth if they need to have an opener every time Freddy pitches.

I think it needs to be said again how much our schedule sucks. But hey, at least we play some non-contenders in June!
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

After last week, the team most likely would have preferred to use an opener with Peralta. However, while being at the outset of 10 days in a row without a day off, with the 15 inning game on Saturday they used everybody in the pen during the Cubs series with Burnes, Claudio, Albers and Houser going twice. Having Houser finish it up last night, was probably the right move in the long run so everyone else out there got a night off, but it also means they'll take their chances with Peralta starting this evening.

Time for Peralta to put his big boy pants on and start the game with a zero. And then toss up a few more zeros after that. Never going to learn how to start a game if we always start someone for an inning for him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Well the brewers know that Freddy isn't going 9 tonight, so what is wrong with starting whoever was going to follow Freddy if it improves his chances for success?

He has gone 8 IP though. This year, even. Out of the Phillies top 5 in the order, only Harper is a lefty, so there isn't a great advantage in using an opener as he is the only high quality lefty he might face a 3rd time through in an average start.

Still, if he struggles with command in his first inning, it would have been nice to be facing 6-9 in the order rather than 1-5+.

I think it needs to be said again how much our schedule sucks. But hey, at least we play some non-contenders in June!

It really has been. Keeping in mind that we have had a terrible start from so many hitters and the young pitchers...its amazing the crew is 6 games over 500.

Are we going to continue to let Shaw flounder until Hiura is finally called up?

It's insane how bad he has been. He hasn't had a base hit since May 7th. Just looked at his stats and it is shocking.

It's time to send him down, the hole he creates in this line-up is detrimental to the team.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

After last week, the team most likely would have preferred to use an opener with Peralta. However, while being at the outset of 10 days in a row without a day off, with the 15 inning game on Saturday they used everybody in the pen during the Cubs series with Burnes, Claudio, Albers and Houser going twice. Having Houser finish it up last night, was probably the right move in the long run so everyone else out there got a night off, but it also means they'll take their chances with Peralta starting this evening.

As much as we've had long games, last nights game gave the vast majority of the pen an off day. I'd have zero issue opening with Guerra for 2 IP. Peralta does his job in the middle we got Burnes JJ and Hader ready to roll.

We certainly can not afford early game yips from Peralta here or we are asking Barnes for 3 miserable innings.

I’m hoping that Cain is only slumping and not playing through an injury. I know he’s taken some self inflicted shots the last few weeks but he might be overcompensating for something else small muscle wise.

I’m hoping that Cain is only slumping and not playing through an injury. I know he’s taken some self inflicted shots the last few weeks but he might be overcompensating for something else small muscle wise.

His Ks are a touch up and his BBs are way down. He's snapped at himself quite a few times lately for swinging at ball 4. I don't see that as injury related.

Archived