Brewer Fanatic

Eastern Conference Finals: Milwaukee Bucks vs Toronto Raptors

homer
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Drake guaranteed that the Raptors are going to the Finals. So I have a little more hope today.

Yes! Renewed hope!

Also what kind of a loser waits until his team goes up 3 - 2 to make a guarantee?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In 2001 the Eastern Conference Semi's between the bucks and hornets played out exactly like this series so far. Bucks won games one and two at the BC, lost the next 2 on the road and lost game 5 at home. Obviously though the 6th seeded Hornets were not as much of a threat as the #2 seeded Raptors, but this years bucks are better than the 00-01 team.

The Raptors defense has been impressive to watch so far and they have always seemed to make a shot when needed, but I still hold out some hope. It does seem that the bucks have put 100% effort in all season to win 60 games, while teams like the warriors were on cruise control knowing that the real season starts in the playoffs.

The physicality of these games may have worn on a team like Milwaukee with limited playoff experience.

No matter what happens this is going to be a good experience for them for next season.

They gave up 105 pts and have been holding Tor below all of their normal stats. D isn't the problem. Half court offense has been the problem. Of course, part of their D strategy has been to force or let the blah shooters into taking the shots. Sorry, that's what FVV is and he's been awful all playoffs. Guy got hot at the wrong time, part of the game.

Also, this isn't actually over despite how it looks. In 2001 against the Hornets, the situation was eerily similar. The Bucks were a little better in the regular season, but the Hornets were better constructed for the playoffs. Ray and Glenn were in the 2nd round for the first time, and so was most of the supporting cast besides Cassell. The Bucks went up 2-0, but lost the next 3 and looked even worse than the final scores indicated. It was ugly. They shot around 40% combined in those 3 losses. Mashburn was killing Robinson. Baron Davis was killing Cassell. Ray was 20-53 from the field. They lost game 5 at home and we heard all the same stats we're hearing now about going down 3-2 and losing 80% of the time.

They fell behind by about 15 at times in the first half in game 6. It looked completely hopeless. I don't remember the largest deficit, but they were down 10 at the half. Then a funny thing happened. They finally started hitting shots, like we knew they were capable of all along. All the other analysis went out the window, because it came down to that.

Toronto is much better than the Hornets were, but these Bucks are also much than the 2001 team. In both cases, the teams are comparable enough that it's close to a toss-up who wins. Of course it's not a toss-up anymore, because the Raptors have a lead. But it's still a series, and if the Bucks have two good games shooting the ball, I bet they will win it.

In 2001 the Eastern Conference Semi's between the bucks and hornets played out exactly like this series so far. Bucks won games one and two at the BC, lost the next 2 on the road and lost game 5 at home. Obviously though the 6th seeded Hornets were not as much of a threat as the #2 seeded Raptors, but this years bucks are better than the 00-01 team.

The Raptors defense has been impressive to watch so far and they have always seemed to make a shot when needed, but I still hold out some hope. It does seem that the bucks have put 100% effort in all season to win 60 games, while teams like the warriors were on cruise control knowing that the real season starts in the playoffs.

The physicality of these games may have worn on a team like Milwaukee with limited playoff experience.

No matter what happens this is going to be a good experience for them for next season.

Plagiarism! Is that allowed here?

The abnormally bad shooting is the most important parallel in my opinion. Will it finally end Saturday? I need it to. My soul hurts.

Community Moderator

This feels like the Brewers-Dodgers NLCS...Milwaukee initially has the upper hand, series turns on an overtime/extra-innings game, the Milwaukee MVP plays somewhat poorly...

Hoping for a repeat of NLCS game 6 tomorrow night.

Also, this isn't actually over despite how it looks. In 2001 against the Hornets, the situation was eerily similar. The Bucks were a little better in the regular season, but the Hornets were better constructed for the playoffs. Ray and Glenn were in the 2nd round for the first time, and so was most of the supporting cast besides Cassell. The Bucks went up 2-0, but lost the next 3 and looked even worse than the final scores indicated. It was ugly. They shot around 40% combined in those 3 losses. Mashburn was killing Robinson. Baron Davis was killing Cassell. Ray was 20-53 from the field. They lost game 5 at home and we heard all the same stats we're hearing now about going down 3-2 and losing 80% of the time.

They fell behind by about 15 at times in the first half in game 6. It looked completely hopeless. I don't remember the largest deficit, but they were down 10 at the half. Then a funny thing happened. They finally started hitting shots, like we knew they were capable of all along. All the other analysis went out the window, because it came down to that.

Toronto is much better than the Hornets were, but these Bucks are also much than the 2001 team. In both cases, the teams are comparable enough that it's close to a toss-up who wins. Of course it's not a toss-up anymore, because the Raptors have a lead. But it's still a series, and if the Bucks have two good games shooting the ball, I bet they will win it.

Plagiarism! Is that allowed here?

The abnormally bad shooting is the most important parallel in my opinion. Will it finally end Saturday? I need it to. My soul hurts.

It'd be 90 pct sure it would if this wasn't a young team going into a tough game 6 on the road facing elimination. It'll take a hot start.

That said, my flight is booked for Milwaukee and I plan on being there for Monday. We just need everyone to keep playing the same except for one guy, maybe Mirotic, maybe Giannis(he HAS absolutely been very good this series, just not arguably best player great), whoever. Someone provides a spark and I think it'll have a ripple effect. We also can't afford a bad game from Hill or Brogdon. Each has been very good save for one game each this post-season.

The only question I'd have is how to deal with Kawhi. I haven't watched him a ton in his career, but this looks like the best he's played in terms of driving and then kicking when the help comes. An evolution in his game maybe.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I agree with everything else you said except for this. Giannis played fewer minutes than just about any other superstar(per game) and they sat him when he had any minor issues to keep him fresh. They went 10-11 deep all year long. They just played smart all year.

That's why I don't agree that it's unlikely that they'll be able to approximate this level of success in the future(provided we have a healthy Giannis).

The playoff experience has been enormous though.

I'd kinda like to see Giannis come out and take a couple of catch and shoot threes. He's been looking better shooting in that lone regard lately. I don't think a couple 3's are going to cause the Raptors to abandon their strategy with him, but it may cause a little bit of hesitation. Maybe it'll free him up and he won't short arm some of those FT's or shots around the restricted area.

I just have a really hard time seeing us win this game. The problem is we have HAD hot starts the last couple games and we've just given them away from the outset.

My concern is that the Raptors just don't get rattled at all when they get down to us and I think we will get very rattled if we get down in this one. There are so many ebbs and flows in an NBA game that both teams are likely to lead by 8+ at some point tonight. Trouble is, Toronto hasn't shown any trouble recovering from those deficits quickly. I'm concerned that being a young team in an elimination game, when Toronto's run comes and we get down double digits, we'll panic. We'll start making bad passes, taking contested shots and throw gasoline on the fire.

Only way I think we win this one is if we control from the outset and generally maintain that control the entire game or at least stay within striking distance. I don't think we can play this from behind.

I just have a really hard time seeing us win this game. The problem is we have HAD hot starts the last couple games and we've just given them away from the outset.

My concern is that the Raptors just don't get rattled at all when they get down to us and I think we will get very rattled if we get down in this one. There are so many ebbs and flows in an NBA game that both teams are likely to lead by 8+ at some point tonight. Trouble is, Toronto hasn't shown any trouble recovering from those deficits quickly. I'm concerned that being a young team in an elimination game, when Toronto's run comes and we get down double digits, we'll panic. We'll start making bad passes, taking contested shots and throw gasoline on the fire.

Only way I think we win this one is if we control from the outset and generally maintain that control the entire game or at least stay within striking distance. I don't think we can play this from behind.

I think everyone who's watched this series would agree. I'm just trying to pretend this not the case and that Giannis will be the first superstar(at least that I can think of) that can take his team to the finals and overcome the adversity he has on the fly.

Caught a segment in which they were talking about Giannis and they mentioned how LeBron had to deal with the same things when they lost to the Spurs in the 2004 finals. The Spurs "built a wall," to stop him from getting to the rim.

But hey, Mirotic comes out hitting 3's and the advantage tilts back to us. I only keep mentioning him because he's the guy who has the post-season experience, he's played well prior to this series and he's very capable of turning it around. And it'd be far less surprising than VanVleet doing so. That and I don't think there's any other individual who's performed that far below expectations.

Giannis has put up far worse numbers or had less of an impact on games in this series, but that'll happen when you're the superstar and the other team has a superstar equal to you(at least equal, probably just a shade better at this very moment) who can defend him like no other player in the league can.

Play aggressive, but walk that fine line between playing out of control to cut down on Bled and Giannis dribbing into a wall of Raptors and then making poor passes or turning the ball over and someone gets hot and we'll be fine. I suppose depending on who Kawhi is guarding, Middleton needs to score quite a bit more as well. But he needs to do so on pick and pops, screens...basically catch and shoots. He's struggling, again, especially when Kawhi is guarding him to get his shot.

Also, I know they won't do this, but it really wouldn't be the worse thing to run the offense through Lopez just once in a while. Put him on the block, spread the floor and get other guys moving, cutting. I don't expect him to be able to score on Gasol and Ibaka regularly, but that IS what he's done most of his career and he's pretty good at it. And he's a good passing big. Not Gasol good, but pretty good.

Archived