Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-10: Brewers (González) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers win, 7-0 -- Five hurlers combine to pitch shutout]

Eye Black
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Why take out Gio here???

they're sticking with their 3rd time through the order logic/math.

Time for Burnes to be what he was last year. Exactly what he's needed for here.

Burnes can K Baez, as he did. Gio can give up a 2 run dinger to Baez and relinquish the lead. Combination of a rested bullpen, a baserunner, 3rd time through the order, 3 straight righties and only a 1 run lead make the move to Burnes a pretty good move.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why take out Gio here???

they're sticking with their 3rd time through the order logic/math.

Time for Burnes to be what he was last year. Exactly what he's needed for here.

Burnes can K Baez, as he did. Gio can give up a 2 run dinger to Baez and relinquish the lead. Combination of a rested bullpen, a baserunner, 3rd time through the order, 3 straight righties and only a 1 run lead make the move to Burnes a pretty good move.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Gio was masterful today. I'm OK with the move I guess, but Gio was still terrific.

Gotta get some insurance here.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And right on cue....thanks Moose! (and Rizzo)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member
The strange time when the contact play NOT being on resulted in the run scoring AND saving an out. Had Grandal broken for the plate right away, Rizzo goes to first to get the out.

Gotta pinch hit here right? Except Pina is the only righty.

I'm so confused at how Aguilar did not move from 2nd to 3rd on that hit by Moose to Rizzo.

Tough to blame him when it wasn't 100% that Grandal was breaking home on contact, and the ball pushed Rizzo right towards him. He was basically at the bag when Rizzo threw home, so he would've been dead to rights had he left for third at any point on that play.

"Here's where Hiura would have made the difference!"

- Someone somewhere

I'm so confused at how Aguilar did not move from 2nd to 3rd on that hit by Moose to Rizzo.

Tough to blame him when it wasn't 100% that Grandal was breaking home on contact, and the ball pushed Rizzo right towards him. He was basically at the bag when Rizzo threw home, so he would've been dead to rights had he left for third at any point on that play.

I haven't gone back and looked at it, but from where he was, wouldn't he have seen Grandal breaking for home right on contact? Rizzo had even less of a play at 3rd than he did at home especially at that angle.

Verified Member
"Here's where Hiura would have made the difference!"

- Someone somewhere

If we win, it matters not. But yeah, that's what I was thinking. And Gamel did fine.

Verified Member

I haven't gone back and looked at it, but from where he was, wouldn't he have seen Grandal breaking for home right on contact? Rizzo had even less of a play at 3rd than he did at home especially at that angle.

Grandal didn't break for home on contact. He froze, then saw Rizzo dive, then went for home.

Surprised no double switch when they brought Burnes in. Guess they didn't bank on a big inning here. But probably would've been easy to have Gamel go in for Braun. Plus Gamel is better on D

I am honestly not sure Burnes goes back to the rotation this year. I think especially with Knebel out and Barnes and Williams not being very successful, they really want another high leverage righty in that pen and may see him as such. The irony is the more he succeeds in this role I would guess the less likely he is to make it back to the rotation.

Archived