Brewer Fanatic

Baseball-reference.com

The more and more I look at baseball-reference.com, the more I become amazed. I remember just two years ago the web site didn't have as many features as it does now. Now I am addicted to looking at the past drafts the Brewers have had. What is everyone else's favorite feature of the site?

We drafted the recently deceased Josh Hancock in the fourth round in the 1996 draft? Matt Morris was drafted by the Brewers? We also drafted Jeromy Burnitz but he didn't sign with us.

I've probably visted b-r.com an average of 5 times a day over the last 5-6 years and that number is steadily climbing. Sean Forman does a great job with the site and there are a ton of unexpected features.

awesome, in addition to Zach Braddock, I share a birthday with Julio Franco, Mark Bellhorn, and Casey Blake. And also Rick Springfield, Barbara Eden, RIver Phoenix, and Rex Grossman, but those I learned on Wikipedia.

Also, Random is fun... I got Pat Neshek(we just faced him in Minnesota, he's from madison), and Ben Hendrickson.

... Thanks for helping me waste time!

I like the baseball cube (the one at sports-wired.com) for it's depth and ability to track a players transaction history...

Mike Caldwell was traded for Willie McCovey type of useless knowledge...they also track the draft history pretty well too...

Verified Member
I love looking at the leaderboards for old timey players. Ty Cobb's leaderboard rankings are absurd. He did everything and he basically did it all better than any of his peers.

I like the Oracle/teammates feature -- where you can link teammates in a seven degrees of Kevin Bacon way.

For example

Babe Ruth played with Lefty Gomez for the 1934 New York Yankees

Lefty Gomez played with Early Wynn for the 1943 Washington Senators

Early Wynn played with Tommy John for the 1963 Cleveland Indians

Tommy John played with Mike Morgan for the 1982 New York Yankees

Mike Morgan played with Chad Moeller for the 2002 Arizona Diamondbacks

It sounds like I'm going to spend a lot more time at Baseball-Reference.com. I guess I haven't done my fair share of exploring over there recently.

If I don't remember to do this on my own, once this thread has run its course, I'd appreciate a PM reminder to archive this thread somewhere so it doesn't drop away (probably in Statistical Analysis). I'd like to link to this from the MLB Forum FAQ.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I really like this site it is loaded with info.

Checked my B-Day.

My most hated Brewer Jenks has the same day. What a let down at least my middle son shares that day with me and is becoming a baseaball nut also.

Hendu, Al " Mad Hungarian" Hrabosky, Mike Hegan and Hall of Famer Johnny Evers are also that day .

Checked out the birthday page, no one really cool except Freddie Lynn. Then I see Eric Owens. I have one baseball sitting on my desk, a home run I caught at County Stadium. Who hit it? Eric Owens.

Its one of only 26 in existance.

Good to see the Brewers are only 341 games under .500 for their tenure. Nothing nine straight 100-win seasons won't cure.

I've never really ventured too far into the site, thanks for the heads up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Jenkins is only 59 starts in LF from holding the Brewers record for most starts at that position (currently held by Ben Ogilvie with 899). That's something he should do this season.

Cirillo at 3B (848 games) and Burnitz in RF (737 games) could be records Braun and Hart could touch if they both stay healthy and productive. The rest of them are too far off to fathom. Yount has started more at both SS (1479) and CF (1150) then any other Brewer.

Ah, the days before free agency.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I've been looking for a site that lists prior June amateur draft picks. Did you know that the Brewers could have drafted David Wright instead of Mike Jones in 2001? I also didn't realize that Gabe Gross was drafted a few picks after the perviously mentioned Jones.

Archived