Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers win, 5-3 -- Gamel and Arcia with three hits apiece]

Eye Black
Verified Member
Hauser starting tomorrow in the role of “the opener” with Freddy Peralta coming into the game following Hauser. I’ll go on the record saying I like it.

Nice. If he still bats Houser in the 9 spot I hope he gets more than 1 inning if the 1 goes fairly smooth. If the plan is 1 inning and 1 inning only, maybe slot him in the 4 spot and PH for him if we get a baserunner in the bottom of the 1st? I'm typing my thoughts out loud here (but this is the game thread so that's okay, no?) If Ender or anybody else has actually researched how this could/should be done I'd be happy to be corrected. It seems like there should be an optimal spot to bat the pitcher in the NL when one uses an "opener" and I'm not sure if that is the 9 spot.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hauser starting tomorrow in the role of “the opener” with Freddy Peralta coming into the game following Hauser. I’ll go on the record saying I like it.

Nice. If he still bats Houser in the 9 spot I hope he gets more than 1 inning if the 1 goes fairly smooth. If the plan is 1 inning and 1 inning only, maybe slot him in the 4 spot and PH for him if we get a baserunner in the bottom of the 1st? I'm typing my thoughts out loud here (but this is the game thread so that's okay, no?) If Ender or anybody else has actually researched how this could/should be done I'd be happy to be corrected. It seems like there should be an optimal spot to bat the pitcher in the NL when one uses an "opener" and I'm not sure if that is the 9 spot.

Not sure you'd want to burn a bench bat that quickly though. 8th with 2 innings from Houser, then Wooddruff to PH saves the bench early. I'd bump him up 1 spot so that only 2 need to reach by the bottom of the 2nd.

Verified Member

Not sure you'd want to burn a bench bat that quickly though. 8th with 2 innings from Houser, then Wooddruff to PH saves the bench early. I'd bump him up 1 spot so that only 2 need to reach by the bottom of the 2nd.

You dont want to make pitchers bat twice though. If you plan on your "follower" to pitch longer than your "opener" it seems like you should move your pitcher up in the batting order. Start the game with a great defensive option but a poorer batting option (So, start Pina for Grandal at C and bat the pitcher 5th or so and Pina 9th- then PH Grandal and double switch for him in that spot--this would also give Grandal some rest and give our better defender a couple of innings).

This seems like the smart thing to do, but I need some numbers to back it up.

This pitching staff is so underrated right now. Starting staff when Anderson back is really solid, better than last year’s starters. The pen with Guerra Albers jj Burnes Claudio Hader Williams Houser I think top to bottom as good as most of last years bullpen, with potential to get better when Nelson returns and starter arm to pen. When our offense clicks this team gonna win a lot of games.

The range of outcomes for this pitching staff is extremely wide.

I think this is it in a nutshell. Especially with the youngsters, it's a lot of boom or bust. I think Gio closes the margin as will Nelson and Chase when healthy.

What a difference 4 games make. This was a big win-to beat Scherzer in the opener is huge. Although basically the Nats lost today and we played competent baseball--which is what good, playoff bound teams do.

Yes, the Nats are a very sloppy team. It was almost sad to watch them mess up so much. Almost. ;)

Verified Member

Yes.

Gamel for Santana just another great stearns trade.

Plus we got Zavolas, who is doing really well in Carolina. Davies-like repertoire, velocity maybe a tick or two higher.

Just checked on Santanas stats. His hot start has him at .269 with 11 dingers but he is 11 for his last 63(.175).

I think it just took AL pitchers a while to figure out how to pitch him(up and in).

Not sure where you see 11 dingers. I see 7 (with 3 coming in the first 4 games of the year).

Santana and Gamel have identical .797 OPS after the game last night with Gamel's OBP 50 points higher.

Guerra is so terrible.

LOL. What did I miss?

A poster used Guerra’s not so good peripheral stats to say Guerra was having a bad year and was in the bottom 20% of relief pitchers, and anybody that thought otherwise doesn’t know baseball.

Peripheral stats. Or as I call them, stats for hipsters.

Archived