Brewer Fanatic

The Prospects After April and your Top 25...

With a month in the books, which of the prospects on your Top 25 ballots have climbed, which have fallen?

One of my big risers? Ryan Aguilar. (http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=666922#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL)

His walk rate has been good, but he's had trouble hitting for average.

Well, that has changed this year in Carolina. Aguilar is provivng to be a good #2 hitter, hitting .278 and with a .420 OBP.

Scott Sunitsch is pitching solidly, and I look forward to seeing him climb the ladder.

One surprise so far... Weston Wilson, who is becoming a prospect. I pegged him as a replacement/supplement for Perez, but he may take a position and hold it.

Hard to believe that after his year at Helena & start this year in Wisconsin Max Lazar doesn’t get much praise. Figured Clancy would have him as a rapid riser! Ton of Ks (over 10 per 9 & over 30%) He is allergic to walks. He both hasn’t been hit hard nor given up runs. Another crafty, control, soft tosser. I’d assume there must be a good amount deception & spin to him him.

Turang is going to make a lot of teams regret letting him slip down so far in draft. Very high bb% for such young kid with promising k%. Both are at 16%. Hitting over .300 & still iso’ing .10. His reports on D are very good

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hard to believe that after his year at Helena & start this year in Wisconsin Max Lazar doesn’t get much praise. Figured Clancy would have him as a rapid riser! Ton of Ks (over 10 per 9 & over 30%) He is allergic to walks. He both hasn’t been hit hard nor given up runs. Another crafty, control, soft tosser. I’d assume there must be a good amount deception & spin to him him.

Turang is going to make a lot of teams regret letting him slip down so far in draft. Very high bb% for such young kid with promising k%. Both are at 16%. Hitting over .300 & still iso’ing .10. His reports on D are very good

Turang is my pick for "riser" thus far.

He is actually very young for Wisconsin, yet he is demonstrating very advanced plate discipline.

If he puts on a little muscle, look out. This is what his wiry 2019 frame did to RF this year (https://www.milb.com/video/turangs-rbi-double/c-2376424883).

You cant teach that BB/K ratio or obp.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a taste of Carolina this year.

A agree that Rasmussen is probably the largest riser. He obviously can pitch, just want him to make it through the year healthy at this point as they appear to have a strict 3IP/50 pitch max with him.

1.)Rasmussen

Everything about him screams Ace/Closer. AA/AAA soon then on to Milwaukee for the playoffs. I think the crew in ST saw knebel clone and already had designs on him helping this year, and him starting his first ever minor league game in miller park a sign of things to come.

2.)Perdomo

Big left handed multi-inning power pitcher, command sloooowly improving, IF he continues his progression, he’ll be up before September.

3.)Sanchez

Pitching well enough at AAA to get a call up this summer if needed. CC must like him, pitched him a lot in ST.

Picked pitchers than I felt could help the big league club this year.

I'll add guys that haven't been mentioned. (but yes to Rasmussen Weston Segovia and Lazar)

Yeison Coca: Turang is getting all the attention and this kids slipping under the radar. Putting up a very nice start for an also 19 year old. He's not a young stash anymore, he's a real prospect now.

Mario Feliciano: Last years injury plagued season is behind him and he's younger and nearly neck and neck with the older Payton Henry. Zero Errors in the split time C gig. Time to start getting him back on the top 25.

Lucas Erceg: Has been near the top and while he kept advancing up the system, he kept sliding in my rankings. Started to near the edge of the top 10. We all had him 8th. Deserves a bump with the way he's going. 2019 he looks like the 2nd rounder we hoped on his 1st year. Leads SA in BBs. OPS 881. Haven't seen numbers like this since A ball in 2016. On pace for 30 bombs. He just turned 24.

What are your predictions for early promotions throughout the minors?

Here are my thoughts, with focus on players doing well who are old for their league (and need to be challenged more):

Promotions to AAA: Griep, Belisario, Kurcz, Dillon. W. Wilson is deserving but blocked by too many IF at AAA already. Supak doing well but will get more time at AA.

Promotions to AA: R. Henry, Segovia (2nd stint at A+), R. Benoit

Promotions to A+: Mediavilla, Strzelecki, Witmer. Fry is deserving but is blocked by Henry/Feliciano

Along with Lazar, I'll toss in another Wisconsin pitcher: Reese Olson. The fact that he hasn't looked overmatched at his age and experience level I think at this point in the season has to be considered a win. His WHIP is close to Hill and Ashby and better than Sunitsch. In short, he belongs, and any high school pitcher who can look like they belong at A ball less than a year after being drafted is someone to take notice of.

A young SS who looks like he's almost certainly going to be a SS in the future and draws a lot of walks is the exact type of kid who could move through the system quickly(for a prep player). That does look like a steal thus far.

What are your predictions for early promotions throughout the minors?

Here are my thoughts, with focus on players doing well who are old for their league (and need to be challenged more):

Promotions to AAA: Griep, Belisario, Kurcz, Dillon. W. Wilson is deserving but blocked by too many IF at AAA already. Supak doing well but will get more time at AA.

Promotions to AA: R. Henry, Segovia (2nd stint at A+), R. Benoit

Promotions to A+: Mediavilla, Strzelecki, Witmer. Fry is deserving but is blocked by Henry/Feliciano

Maybe time to think about moving Feliciano to make room for Fry. A big bat who could stay behind the plate? Might be worth risking moving Feliciano, who is not a bad catcher... just that Henry and Fry are better, IMO.

Maybe time to think about moving Feliciano to make room for Fry. A big bat who could stay behind the plate? Might be worth risking moving Feliciano, who is not a bad catcher... just that Henry and Fry are better, IMO.

Have there been many reports about Fry’s defense? He had so little experience behind the plate in college that I doubt he is going to be a particularly fast mover. Let him continue to gain experience at Wisconsin until Henry or Feliciano is ready for AA.

Fry has looked solid behind the dish, certainly light years ahead of where KJ Harrison was at this point last year. It doesn't look like he's inexperienced at the position. Moves laterally fine, good footwork, arm strength seems to be about average. Mentally locked in and shows leadership.

In terms of current defense, I'd put him behind Henry and McDowell. He's right with Nottingham and Feliciano though. None of the Brewers' better catching prospects are bad or even below average defenders, which is nice.

Should also say Feliciano looks a lot more confident behind the plate as well.

Feliciano is extremely young & talented. Fry is an older clubhouse leader and solid bat. Brewers (imo) will not move a young kid like Mario when he has shown great growth just to make room for an older less upside guy to take his place. Not a knock on Fry but just doesn’t make sense. Feliciano’s Stock will always be higher at catcher. You can build up his versatility but his bat plays higher there.

Fry has looked solid behind the dish, certainly light years ahead of where KJ Harrison was at this point last year. It doesn't look like he's inexperienced at the position. Moves laterally fine, good footwork, arm strength seems to be about average. Mentally locked in and shows leadership.

In terms of current defense, I'd put him behind Henry and McDowell. He's right with Nottingham and Feliciano though. None of the Brewers' better catching prospects are bad or even below average defenders, which is nice.

Is there a reason that McDowell is still around? Hiss bat's pretty awful, and it might be good to figure out which of Henry, Feliciano, or Fry would fare better in Biloxi.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is there a reason that McDowell is still around? Hiss bat's pretty awful, and it might be good to figure out which of Henry, Feliciano, or Fry would fare better in Biloxi.

Catchers that offer elite defense are always going to stick around. That's one of the positions on the field where defense truly does matter.

I recall reports about his defense being that it's truly elite, one of the best defensive players in the minors. Don't know if that's the consensus or not, but I haven't heard anything negative. You'll give those guys every chance to develop as decent hitters, because the payoff is massive if that happens. Besides, while he hits for no power he still gets on base at an above-average rate.

I'd also imagine that having elite defensive catchers in your system will help out with pitcher development, and likely help out fellow catching prospects. Might want to turn them into coaches down the road as well.

Lazar and Mediavilla can move up to Carolina

Segovia, Zavolas, Hintzen and Andrews can go to Biloxi.

Weston Wilson should be in SA. He can take Luke Barker with him.

The only young player I'd move at this time is Lazar. He's dominating and I want to see if he can keep this up. Mediavilla Hintzen and Andrews are all college arms below AA they should be pushed. Zavolas at 23 should get a look in AA soon. File not that far behind him. Multiple OFs in AA are system fodder and can be pushed out. Wilson is deserving and Gatewood needs a clear path in AA. Barker might have found something. Ks are up, GO are up and at 27, lets see what he really has in AAA.

My guess with Lazar’s age, he will be a more mid season promotion are at least after Helena gets going with possible aggressive placements or quick promotions. Let him keep dominating & growing. Think Ashby would still be first followed by maybe Sunitsch when it’s time for Zavolas & Webb or File to go up. Both are older, college arms, and already played in Wisconsin last season

Lazar and Mediavilla can move up to Carolina

Segovia, Zavolas, Hintzen and Andrews can go to Biloxi.

Weston Wilson should be in SA. He can take Luke Barker with him.

The only young player I'd move at this time is Lazar. He's dominating and I want to see if he can keep this up. Mediavilla Hintzen and Andrews are all college arms below AA they should be pushed. Zavolas at 23 should get a look in AA soon. File not that far behind him. Multiple OFs in AA are system fodder and can be pushed out. Wilson is deserving and Gatewood needs a clear path in AA. Barker might have found something. Ks are up, GO are up and at 27, lets see what he really has in AAA.

Andrews and Zavolas for sure to AA. Andrews has already pitched well in ST to big league bats and Zavolas could be that right handed suter brainiac type pitcher Stearns obviously loves. These are two to really keep an eye on imo. Wilson another for me, could just be a late bloomer that could have a big league future as a quality utility all over the diamond, better hitter than Peréz but not quite the defender type player.

My guess with Lazar’s age, he will be a more mid season promotion are at least after Helena gets going with possible aggressive placements or quick promotions. Let him keep dominating & growing. Think Ashby would still be first followed by maybe Sunitsch when it’s time for Zavolas & Webb or File to go up. Both are older, college arms, and already played in Wisconsin last season

I'm excited about Ashby but he only turns 21 soon and his walks are up and he's been a little bipolar. Leftys! A lot of guys drafted from college are already 21 so I wouldn't mind a late season promotion to A+ with him. Sort of a "get comfortable, this is where you start next season."

To put Turang's season thus far into perspective, he currently has an OPS of .816. Between the 2007 and 2015 drafts exactly 25 guys picked in the first round out of high school had an OPS of .800 or better the next season in A ball. 24 of those reached the majors.

While the list does include a few guys like Nick Franklin and Jaff Decker, a majority of the players who have been around for a while have carved out at least decent careers, and a there are a fair number of stars on the list as well (Trout, Machado, Baez and, of course, Yelich). Obviously there is a lot of season left, but if he can keep this hitting up it is a harbinger of good things to come.

Griep is 25 years old and dominating AA ... after repeating the year because of his poor walk rate. He should get promoted to AAA soon and could be in the mix for the brewers bullpen later in the year if he continues to perform like this.

He's old for his league, so I would not put him in my top 25 yet until he does this against older competition.

Archived