Brewer Fanatic

Pitching targets

With Kimbrel and Keuchel still available at the cost of salary and a pick, why are some people discussing or even advocating giving up even more prospects from a somewhat depleted farm system - (particularly for rentals)?

Let's be honest - this team doesn't have the draft capital to get a lot of the names being mentioned (without either giving up on some of the young starters who have struggled so far and/or finishing the depletion of the farm system). If there's a trade it's more likely to be a buy-low deal on someone on a team who wants to get out from under the deal.

Because this is a small market team, and we just don’t have the funds to sign them.

That's a reason why they haven't made any moves, but ignores the point made in my second paragraph entirely. :)

Yes agree, and we’ll see how many of those type of players are made available.

That's a reason why they haven't made any moves, but ignores the point made in my second paragraph entirely. :)

Yes agree, and we’ll see how many of those type of players are made available.

There are always some, but who wants them...?

I think we now know why they haven't signed Keuchel... (eyeroll)

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I'd like to consider Pat Venditte. He's really just needed a consistent chance in the majors. Saw he was DFA'd

I’ve semi hoped he’d be a Brewer for years. Such an intriguing player. His glove should end up in the hof someday! Or some museum anyway.

Spotted this on BR & thought it should be shared (in its entirety)

Bumgarner’s No-Trade List

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Madison Bumgarner’s eight-team no-trade list, per sources:#Braves#RedSox#Cubs#Astros#Brewers#Yankees#Phillies#STLCards

Bumgarner chose teams strategically; list comprised solely of contenders that might want to acquire him from #SFGiants, not teams he wants to avoid.

12:54 PM - May 11, 2019

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Madison Bumgarner’s eight-team no-trade list, per sources:#Braves#RedSox#Cubs#Astros#Brewers#Yankees#Phillies#STLCards

Bumgarner chose teams strategically; list comprised solely of contenders that might want to acquire him from #SFGiants, not teams he wants to avoid.

Smart move on his part.

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Either this is a move to try to avoid being traded entirely (perhaps he just wants to stay in SF) or he wants to force contenders to negotiate an extension to get him to waive the restriction.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

It's pretty standard practice. Doesn't do any good to have teams on your NTC that you know won't be trading for you. I doubt he'll get an extension out of it but it does give him some say and leverage in July.

Addison Reed has DFAd by the Twins after signing a big, two-year contract last year. He started out well last year, was overused, and then fell apart. This year he started out poorly in the minors. Perhaps he could be acquired and stashed away for a couple of months to build back his arm strength in hopes that he could be a factor after the all-star break.

Addison Reed has DFAd by the Twins after signing a big, two-year contract last year. He started out well last year, was overused, and then fell apart. This year he started out poorly in the minors. Perhaps he could be acquired and stashed away for a couple of months to build back his arm strength in hopes that he could be a factor after the all-star break.

Reed is washed up. in AAA: 5 IPs - 13 hits - 4 HRs. I don't think Stearns wants to waste even one dollar on him. The Brewers want to get their younger guys a chance at AAA.

Archived