Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-03: Mets (Matz) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 3-1 -- Braun leads the way with 3 hits including 2-run HR]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

40797395523_db569e10f1_c.jpg

46974479754_6755541646_c.jpg

[pre]Mets Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. Jeff McNeil (L) LF 1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Pete Alonso ® 1B 2. Yasmani Grandal (S) C

3. Robinson Cano (L) 2B 3. Ryan Braun ® LF

4. Michael Conforto (L) RF 4. Jesus Aguilar ® 1B

5. Wilson Ramos ® C 5. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

6. Brandon Nimmo (L) CF 6. Hernan Perez ® 2B

7. Todd Frazier ® 3B 7. Ben Gamel (L) RF

8. Amed Rosario ® SS 8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Steven Matz ® P 9. Brandon Woodruff (L) P[/pre]

Brandon Woodruff: Batter (Mets) vs Pitching Stats

Steven Matz: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needless to say, another important start for Woodruff.

I have to admit I only saw his first 2 starts this year but glancing at his stats he has 3.60 FIP and 38 K's in 31.1 IP. Cherry picking of course but I don't really see anything that suggests he is on the brink of being demoted. Of course a month in he is sort of at that point where a couple of good or bad starts could swing things either way but short of Nelson coming back I am not sure anyone is going to bump him out of the rotation. It's nice to have at least one power arm in there.

I mean every start is important, but Woodruff is fine. He has looked on in most of his starts, but just got shaky at specific times. That is much different than Burnes or Peralta who have mostly had horrid results and looked off most of the games they pitched.

Yes Woodruff has definitely been the one who has looked like he belongs most. Take away that one awful inning he had and his traditional stats probably look fine/ok. He's had stretches each game where looks like he belongs. Obviously could still go either way, but sure would be nice for him to string a couple good ones together in a row

Yes Woodruff has definitely been the one who has looked like he belongs most. Take away that one awful inning he had and his traditional stats probably look fine/ok. He's had stretches each game where looks like he belongs. Obviously could still go either way, but sure would be nice for him to string a couple good ones together in a row

Only time he won't be safe is if Anderson and Nelson both get healthy. Then you could go Chacin/Davies/Gonzalez/Nelson/Anderson.

Clearly Burnes isn't touching his spot and Peralta would probably be a goner if Anderson was healthy. So not much competition if you look somewhat competent.

The inning I'm thinking of was I think vs LAA. He gave up 4 in that inning but pretty much mowed them down the other 5 innings. So overall he was very good that day besides that hickup. With samples this small, just taking away that inning drops his era to 4.45. Obviously I know it's still cherry picking and spinning positive, but he really hasn't been that far off. Couple more solid games to hopefully settle in and build confidence.

Community Moderator
Christian Yelich is out of the lineup once again. This is the 5th straight game he isn't starting, no word yet on his availability to pinch hit if needed.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member
Christian Yelich is out of the lineup once again. This is the 5th straight game he isn't starting, no word yet on his availability to pinch hit if needed.

If he can't even PH today it might as well be IL time. His 10 day stint would be half over already.

The inning I'm thinking of was I think vs LAL. He gave up 4 in that inning but pretty much mowed them down the other 5 innings. So overall he was very good that day besides that hickup. With samples this small, just taking away that inning drops his era to 4.45. Obviously I know it's still cherry picking and spinning positive, but he really hasn't been that far off. Couple more solid games to hopefully settle in and build confidence hopefully.

I think Woodruff is similar to Nelson in that it’ll take him a couple years to settle in and be a staple in the rotation. He will definitely have his ups and downs this season, but he should have a solid season overall. Hopefully he can get 25 starts or so this season to get him some experience and build off of that heading into next season.

If he can't even PH today it might as well be IL time. His 10 day stint would be half over already.

Normally I'd agree but not with Yelich. Having him in the lineup even 1 additional time is worth more than the days of an extra roster spot.

Braun 3rd. Aguilar 4th. For the love of God....
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

29 pitches in the first thus far, holy God.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Cain says, "I got this." Lorenzo with the jack to tie it!

For those that missed it, Adam McCalvy asked Craig Counsell this afternoon if the change in pitching coaches had an impact on the pitching struggles. Here is video of Counsell’s answer: Does the departure of Derek Johnson explain the Brewers’ pitching problems?

Translation: "Yes"

At least he was honest. We all know it so kudos to him for acknowledging it.

Archived