Brewer Fanatic

2019-05-02: Rockies (Gray) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers lose, 11-6 -- Rough outing for Peralta]

Eye Black
No, the Anderson had no impact on this. This was Woodruffs day with normal rest. The Anderson injury happening could've led to Fredy taking Anderson's next start this move today was happening before that injury occurred. I also don't see why they didn't give Freddy a couple AAA games to hopefully get sharp. The other guys had been doing OK lately.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No, the Anderson had no impact on this. This was Woodruffs day with normal rest. The Anderson injury happening could've led to Fredy taking Anderson's next start this move today was happening before that injury occurred. I also don't see why they didn't give Freddy a couple AAA games to hopefully get sharp. The other guys had been doing OK lately.

This. I know hindsight and all, but inserting Freddy back in the rotation so quickly was an odd decision then, and an odd one now. They've finally found a little balance, then turned around and decided to throw it all out of whack again. I know these young guys need to develop, but there is no reason that a guy like Peralta can't spend time in AAA working on perfecting his secondary offerings.

The shame of what has happened to this pitching staff is you could see it coming from a mile away. This team has not developed an every day starter since Galiardo. Nelson counts of course but unfortunately is injured. Letting cheap available starters like Miley go to risk it on the young guns was silly. Then the depth of the bullpen took a hit with injuries and no one of note was brought in to bolster it. I was on record as saying I would have added a reliever before the injuries because the Tyler Thonburg syndrome hits relievers every year. Anyway it's too bad. This fan base deserves better.

Reading a post like this reminds me of why we need a like button.

Until we fix this pitching mess (both the starters and bullpen) any notions of making the post season let alone having success there is a waste of time.

TH tweet

Counsell says will have to talk about whether Peralta stays in rotation.

I really have never understood their infatuation with Peralta. He has had a couple of nice games but those are few and far between. He belongs in AAA until he is more consistent. :(

This. I know hindsight and all, but inserting Freddy back in the rotation so quickly was an odd decision then, and an odd one now. They've finally found a little balance, then turned around and decided to throw it all out of whack again. I know these young guys need to develop, but there is no reason that a guy like Peralta can't spend time in AAA working on perfecting his secondary offerings.

Exactly! If Chase was struggling I could maybe see Freddy starting but Chase has been very solid and thus far is a good option to go with. Freddy NEEDS to develop that 3rd pitch before he's ready for prime time. Please, let's just stick with Chacin-Davies-Anderson-Woodruff-Gonzalez. They have been solid and have given us a fighting chance. The Burnes and Peralta starts have been mostly throw away games that have taxed our bullpen.

The thing is, at some point they were going to move those guys into the rotation and if they believed they were all ready, which they seemed to be for the most part judging their MLB performance last year, then they should have done it. If you think they're ready, you can't go out and sign a bunch of stable starters because those guys will expect to be SP.

If the guys can't play, they can't play, and we would have learned that the hard way whether it was in 2019, 2020 or 2021. Their goal is be competitive sustainably, so there is really no difference in when those young kids play, IF you believe they can.

I would have liked to see them sign 1 veteran SP to stabilize things, absolutely. But again, with limited resources and confidence in your young guys, I can see them maybe believing it wasn't a great use of resources to do so.

I think it all comes back to the worst case scenario unfolding. I'm really doubting that having one vet around would make a big difference in this. There's no guarantee that guy's playing well, and with how bad everyone has been, this is a bigger problem than that.

Limited resources? Why are they limited? Limited by the salary cap? Luxury taxes? I don't get limited. They found 30 million dollars laying around for Moose and Grandal and I was fine with it. They found a ton of dough to refurbish spring training site. Miley wants an extra million bucks and all of a sudden we are limited? Do not let the small market team off the small market hook.

* The Brewers are, at the present time, considered a MID-MARKET team REVENUE wise. Lower end mid-market but mid- market none the less.

* the Reds have the same payroll as the Brewers, approximately 127 million. The Brewers have much more revenue than the reds. * the Brewers have much more revenue than the reds but have the same payroll.

* I think it’s apparent that Mark A & his investors have CHOSEN an approximate payroll for this year and aren’t going to move from their CHOSEN budget. It doesn’t matter that knebel lost, Jeffress injured, bullpen decimated, team in trouble.

* it’s Attanasio’s team and he can do what he wants, spend whatever he decides, just don’t tell us your “ALL IN” financially, when A FEW of us know it’s just words. 127 million is NOTHING. It’s the same payroll as the Cincinnati Reds, a team with LESS REVENUE than than the crew.

** that diatribe was my opinion, based on research, not stated as fact **

* The Brewers are, at the present time, considered a MID-MARKET team REVENUE wise. Lower end mid-market but mid- market none the less.

* the Reds have the same payroll as the Brewers, approximately 127 million. The Brewers have much more revenue than the reds. * the Brewers have much more revenue than the reds but have the same payroll.

* I think it’s apparent that Mark A & his investors have CHOSEN an approximate payroll for this year and aren’t going to move from their CHOSEN budget. It doesn’t matter that knebel lost, Jeffress injured, bullpen decimated, team in trouble.

* it’s Attanasio’s team and he can do what he wants, spend whatever he decides, just don’t tell us your “ALL IN” financially, when A FEW of us know it’s just words. 127 million is NOTHING. It’s the same payroll as the Cincinnati Reds, a team with LESS REVENUE than than the crew.

giphy.gif

My angst today is why Freddy was even slotted in the rotation to begin with.

It's because my uncle is a scout and says he's going to be great and the Brewers have him as their #1 untouchable prospect, or something.

I don't completely blame the Brewers for this, honestly. I don't think any reasonable person would expect Peralta, Burnes, and Chacin to be this bad. I'm not sure where they go from here, but they're a lot better at this than I am, and I look forward to seeing how they respond.

giphy.gif

Yeah Yeah, I know, too much work to find the truth, easier to pull up the mocking....

"127 Million is NOTHING."

Your entire argument is shot. This is your opinion, this is not a fact; you do not have access to any financial records, you do not have access to tax returns, and you do not have access to any of Mark A's business information. Your research is your opinion.

I don't need to refute anything else in your post, nor the few hundred other posts you have made along a similar line. You have a difficult time distinguishing fact vs opinion.

Verified Member

Your entire argument is shot. This is your opinion, this is not a fact; you do not have access to any financial records, you do not have access to tax returns, and you do not have access to any of Mark A's business information. Your research is your opinion.

I don't need to refute anything else in your post, nor the few hundred other posts you have made along a similar line. You have a difficult time distinguishing fact vs opinion.

It's not worth it man.

Tons of people have tried to set this guy straight, tons of times, and he just keeps on spouting off the same garbage thread after thread, night after night.

It just doesn't sink in.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's not worth it man.

Tons of people have tried to set this guy straight, tons of times, and he just keeps on spouting off the same garbage thread after thread, night after night.

It just doesn't sink in.

Set me straight?

There hasn’t been anyone, so far, that’s refuted anything I’ve said, let alone “set me straight”

Just lots of “ Mark A is a great owner” talk or unless you work for the crew you don’t know crap.

Just think on this for more than a moment:

The reds, with way less revenue, have the same payroll we do! And we’re supposed to be all in? 1 game from the World Series vs last place team! Really?

It's not worth it man.

It just doesn't sink in.

Set me straight?

There hasn’t been anyone, so far, that’s refuted anything I’ve said, let alone “set me straight”

Just lots of “ Mark A is a great owner” talk or unless you work for the crew you don’t know crap.

Just think on this for more than a moment:

The reds, with way less revenue, have the same payroll we do! And we’re supposed to be all in? 1 game from the World Series vs last place team! Really?

It is hard to believe how much time and energy people spend trying to tear down someone's opinion. Nobody on this board works in baseball. We are all just fans who want the Brewers to do well. I will never understand people who just can't say interesting point but I don't agree without typing an essay to make someone feel like you know more than they do. I we agree to disagree but man it's rough when people can't express an opinion without dudes with 5000 posts!!! telling you to shut up. Don't like someone's take? Put down the keyboard and back away slowly.

The shame of what has happened to this pitching staff is you could see it coming from a mile away. This team has not developed an every day starter since Galiardo. Nelson counts of course but unfortunately is injured. Letting cheap available starters like Miley go to risk it on the young guns was silly. Then the depth of the bullpen took a hit with injuries and no one of note was brought in to bolster it. I was on record as saying I would have added a reliever before the injuries because the Tyler Thonburg syndrome hits relievers every year. Anyway it's too bad. This fan base deserves better.

Until we fix this pitching mess (both the starters and bullpen) any notions of making the post season let alone having success there is a waste of time.

It reminds me of why we need a dislike button because it is so obtuse that it is worthless.

It reminds me of why we need a dislike button because it is so obtuse that it is worthless.

This is an excellent response. What was I thinking?

Are you saying my post about the pitching is so obtuse that it is worthless or the idea of a dislike/like button?

Thanks bro. I appreciate someone not taking offense at a point of view.

Why does hook get credit for developing these young arms when they are not developed?

1-2 pitch repertoires who lack control is not developed. Maybe he did a great job at making them succeed with only that vs inferior competition but they certainly are not developed. We expected Woodruff to start his path to a starter 2 years ago. Just now, he looks like he might be ready. He got 8 starts in 2017. 4 in 2018. Doesn't seem to be holding him back. I think its about time we slow down on Burnes and Peralta.

Thanks bro. I appreciate someone not taking offense at a point of view.

I usually don't take offense to points of view. We all have opinions. But I'm glad you consider me one of the guys. ;)

Archived